O-I (Owens-Illinois)
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

O-I (Owens-Illinois) Employee Reviews for Order Picker

Order Picker13 reviews
Worked swing shift at a bottle manufacturing building for the summer. Was a selector of bottles and managed machines on the job site. Also packaged bottles and had to make inventory checks and keep track of packaging.
Owens Illinois is a very dangerous job. Making sure you are hydrated and constantly drinking water is the key to surviving in such hot conditions. All of my co workers were very nice and supportive. Swing shifts are not as bad as people make them out to be. Once you get the hang of them your body can adjust. The only negative thing about Owens Illinois is their HR representative.
It was a great place to work. great location and co workers. opportunity for advancement and easy to call in sick or takea day off. benefits and pay raises
OI pays very well, I will highly recommend this place !
I was a summer help there for three summers and my coworkers and upper management valued me a as full time employee.
Pros
Free Lunch break and pays really good
Cons
Swing shifts
Steady job with advancement opportunity. Factory environment with rotating shifts, great mentors. The downside to the job was the hot temperature within the building
Hours varied week by week, but the pay is very good with benefits. Some days were more demanding than others based on where you were place, along with the pace other departments were at, which affects you work production.
Tedious and repetitive work. Housekeeping duties and machine maintenance required on all machinces in my work area. Always was busy in bulk operations or carton assembly work. Kept assembly line full of product and always operable; for case packer operations.
Pros
Great pay, easy work
Cons
swing shift
A typical day at work began with the running of bottle samples through various machines in order to assess machine functionality. Each sample is ran three times on an hourly basis, for a total of 36 times per shift. The rest of the shift was spent monitoring the lines for jam ups, assessing bottles for critical defects as well has keeping the work environment clean and safe. Occasionally My job required me to hand package glass ware, palletize cartons as well as feed ware and cartons onto the conveyor belt.

While working with Owens-Illinois, I learned how to operate a manual as well as a semi-automatic forklift. I learned to to operate and fix jam-ups in machinery as well as how to assess glass bottles for defects. My supervisors and co-workers were welcoming and helpful when it came to me learning how to manoeuvre throughout the factory environment.

The hardest part of the job was withstanding the high temperatures for long periods of time while actively working. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to take the skills I learned during my training, and altering them in a way that allowed me to work more efficiently and enjoyably.
Pros
Extended breaks in high climates
Cons
Long hours, very high temperature
Company is judgmental and not willing to train new employees the way they should. They will place you on the floor with no training and you just have to figure out the way to operate machines on your own. Supervisors are not helpful at all either
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Employees and supervisors are not willing to train you on the machines
great people great place sad it was only a summer job could have been there my whole life. wish i were still in California.
Pros
everything
Cons
nothing
A typical day at work is hot with a lot to do. i learned how to run the packers and carton machines my coworkers are nice and most will help you if needed the hardest part of my job is the swing shift
Pros
money
Cons
swing swift
Honestly don't know how this plant is still open. Dump glass every day on every shift, reject ware constantly, management has no control over staff, favoritism throughout the plant; promoting unqualified workers instead of hiring outside qualified and educated workers. Safety is a joke. If random drug tests were done, no one would have a job. If you have small children or want to keep your family intact, stay far away from this place! Rotate shifts every 5 days and no downtime.
Pros
Pay/insurance
Cons
Management & union is a joke
i enjoyed the time when i was working at owens. the rotating shifts are tough but the pay is good.
Pros
its good becouse its union
Cons
loud work enviorment