Office Depot
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Office Depot Employee Reviews for Copy Center Associate

I worked for this company for a few years. Everything was great until they started the ISCE program. The management is pretty nice, with a store manager its a hit or miss. I have had some good ones, and some bad ones. Employees are great and everything. They completely changed the health care for part time employees. They dont cover anything thing now. You learn alot about everything.
Pros
normally they are flexible with days requested/appointments
Cons
healthcare, and they dont really care if your having an emergency
I've worked with the company for nearly 5 years, and each year I have worked for them, I hated it more and more. Managers aren't reliable when it comes to needing assistant at the Print department, and co-workers aren't nearly as helpful as they should be. A typical day would be to come in, get immediately bombarded by customers, work nonstop with customers all shift, with a co-worker sitting in the back lollygagging, and having upset customer getting upset because it's taking so long with only one person working the counter, wanting to talk to a manager about it and some of the managers complaining about how long it's taking, but not doing anything about it. The only positive thing I can say about the job is that the regular customers kind of made it tolerable, but only for so long, and how flexible they are.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Every man for themselves at the wrong moments, no benefits, management isn't too reliable
Management is helpful and seem like they want you to succeed. Only problem is that there isn't always an opportunity to move up, even if your bosses want you to. I enjoyed my time, coworkers, customers, etc. It's still retail.
Pros
Great team environment
Cons
Retail, entitled customers
The coworkers can be really nice and encouraging and you gain a lot of knowledge about technology and print work but the environment is very stressful. The print center could be run a lot better. Support from managers when enforcing company policy instead of giving in to entitled customers just to make them happy.
A overall good place to learn news skills if you are willing to take initiative to learn. i work in the copy and print department, most customers are easy to work with if you know how ro accomplish a wide variety of tasks
Pros
Learning new things
Cons
short breaks, inconsistent hours
Typical day at work would consist of myself and one other manager for the morning shift. I would be expected to service copy and print customers while also working the register, help any customers that walked in through the door with inquiries and answering phone lines. The other person would work the sales floor, stocking and helping customers get items that were in the secure, locked area. Clientele was often rude and impatient. Company culture is more focused on making profit than on employee well-being. Wouldn't work here again. Coworkers were fun, though.
Pros
Fun coworkers
Cons
Short staffed, impossible expectations
I worked the copy and print center. Upon my arrival we had two great print and copy attendants, but that soon changed as within a month, one of those employees was laid off, and the other retired. I was trained in the copy and print section for only 2 months, and was left to attend the area by myself, for 8 hours at a time. No pay raise was offered, so I left. I was expected to endure the conditions(because the copy and print center was a smaller section of the store) but with little help on my off hours, I was left with multiple larger projects to maintain upon my return, whilst also juggling walk in customers and their requests.
Had fun at the start working in Copy and Print due to the fact I'm a graphic designer but I got written up for the stupidest things like staying late to help a customer with their job. Or taking too long with one customer. Nonetheless it's okay for management to be with one customer for an hour or more! Plus the last two GMs that we had did schedule enough workers to get what was needed done. Most of the time I would not get a break to eat; or had to come in on my days off; or had to come in early and/or had to stay late due to bad scheduling.
Pros
Employee discount
Cons
No lunch breaks, bad scheduling, very stressful!!!
Working in the print center is a hectic and fast paced environment where there is never a lack of work to do. This allowed me to challenge myself and strike a balance between perfectionism at an efficient speed.
I was a sales associate in the beginning but then was trained as a copy and print associate. I really enjoyed working with my coworkers and occasionally our manager bought us pizza on busy days like the back to school season and Black Friday. I just didn't like being in copy and print by myself when there was a long line of people waiting and there was no one to help me. I did learn a lot from print and copy department, but I wish the pay was better.
Pros
Flexibility, Coworkers, Easy job duties
Cons
Pay is low
The store is fine so long as you're cashiering or management. Copy and Print was generally hectic and understaffed. The store really needed a few higher quality workers in terms of reliability, although that can change easily and quickly. Overall the people are wonderful, and you're not stuck with corporate breathing down your neck like many other retail stores. I would heavily recommend for an entry-level position.
Pros
Wonderful co-workers, extreme flexibility
Cons
Missed breaks, low pay, knowledge demand
I enjoyed the position I was hired for: working with printers, copy machines, and similar devices gave me a better understanding. I was also able to apply creative thinking and problem solving skills to the jobMultitasking came as second nature while working here, however we were short-staffed when it came to this position and scheduling often interfered with the school schedule at the time. My employer would often schedule me for times I was physically unable to make it to even though I was very clear and upfront about my class times.
Pros
Able to work various devices that very much interested me
Cons
Short-staffed lead to work schedules constantly conflicting with my class schedule
If you're a college student or a young adult looking for job experience, then this is a stepping stone for you. Only way you move up to full time is if you become a manager or department supervisor. Copy & Print is a stressful area but can be rewarding as well. Pay is not that great and customers can be very impatient, but overall the time there was good.
If you're a student office Depot will definitely try to work your 15-20 hrs of part time hours a week in there enen if it takes doing 3 hr shifts from time to time. Kinda lousy pay starting at 8.25 for all non managers. I worked the copy and print department while there. You'll be more busy doing slightly more interesting things while back there but it can get backed up with customers alot and then you wish whoever they send back to help knows anything about computers and printers and software. More flexible with customers than other print places generally. But yea it's an office Depot so it's never usally super busy but you'll have your regular customers who you get to know, for Better or worse. But overall definitely not the worst retail experience.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Rewards program, advancement, pay
Managers always willing to work with my schedule. The work environment was fun. Management always knew how to keep floor employees engaged and proactive. The hardest part of the jobs was dealing with customers however managers were always there to guide us through a conflict.
Hit or miss. If your management team is nice you got it good. Corporate is full of jerks and your company doesn't care about you. You will feel trapped.
Its a job meant for students to build some work experience. Full time work is nonexistent. District management are stuffed shirts and are only looking at numbers and not what's actually happening within the stores themselves. The store management team though, do what they can to help accommodate you and your life outside of work just as long as its reasonable and not a hindrance to the operation of the store.
Pros
Management support, great coworkers
Cons
Bad pay, no full time hours, district management and up is out of touch
Good place to stop for a moment to let yourself breathe. The store is well laid out and labeled. I'm not too keen on one of the maangers as said manager doesn't like to do the job assigned. Manager will hide in back office claiming to do paperwork when the store is slammed and use the excuse that only x amount of managers are supposed to he on the floor. Most copy and print customers were good and those thatwerent, management didn't back us up due to the customer is alwaysright rule. ie During
I personally enjoyed working there, management are very nice people, very knowledgeable. I left because they couldnt offer a full time position, but all in all a fun place to work and the people are good
Working at OfficeMax had opened my eyes even more to the ills of working in retail. It is not a very employee-friendly environment and the culture is more like high school. Working in the Print and Copy area sounds like an ideal position because you’d think you’ll have time to work on less stressful assignments and difficult customer interaction sounds minimum. That couldn’t be further from the truth. In Print and Copy, you’re expected to complete a high volume of orders in a limited amount of time while also servicing walk-in customers. I’m one who loves to stay busy at all times, but I also realize that I will need assistance in completing such assignments and serving others. The way management see it is that one person can and SHOULD do it all on his/her own during their given shift. We’ve experienced a lot of issues with machinery and orders that we needed more than one person per shift. It was a huge pain and I’m glad I’ve found something else. Management is not very sympathetic towards your schedule and travel situations. The way they see it is that you’re expendable and should consider it a privilege to be hired by them. In addition to that, there’s a lot of nepotism in regard to promotions. There is also a lot of drama that goes on and I’ve heard plenty through my earpiece while serving customers. It’s a very toxic place to work and I can see why there are a lot of vacancies posted on Indeed in recent days.
Fast passed environment in copy and print serving many customers at one time. Multitasking to provide quick service excellent customer service. Maintain machinery to keep the flow of work moving.