Open Polytechnic
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Open Polytechnic Employee Reviews

New Zealand5 reviews
Over the eleven years I spent at Open Polytechnic I had the great privilege to work with many knowledgeable, passionate and talented people.

Serving over 34,000 learners a year no two days were ever the same, with a high-paced learning design and development environment. The teams I worked with were committed to seeing learners achieve positive outcomes, and would often go above and beyond to deliver world-class learning.

Teaching staff were highly experienced and open to exploring new ways of sharing their knowledge and encouraged life-long learning.
Working with the Open Poly was a data entry typed role. Everyday was new and it was centered around using particular databases. There were 5 different areas to work in, I was employed in the enrolments section. When our area was not as busy as others, we were trained to help in other areas.

I enjoyed this role as it was different each day, the team was great to work with and our manager often provided fun team activities to do every month so as to break up our working day.
Pros
Christmas time was fun as the OP provided the whole campus with free food, drinks and entertainment
Cons
When the computer system crashed we were unable to do any work as all of the work was online.
Workload unrealistic. Always short staffed. Previous staff were not always replaced. High staff turnover. Too many reviews and jobs being disestablished. Work very boring and not stimulating. Management not always supportive.
Fantastic social club with dedicated staff who put in a lot of time and effort to arrange fun activities eg: great kids Xmas parties, Colour run, Round the Bays, movie nights ect.

Have met some wonderful people at the Open Polyechnic who made a difference to my time there.
Pros
Great social club.
Cons
Too many to mention.
Although I freely resigned from the Open Polytechnic as I was needing change I thoroughly enjoyed my time there. I felt I was highly valued and respected. It is a good place to work and is ever evolving
Pros
good staff benefits
Cons
not stimulating enough for me.
The number of students oscillate over time. I have worked on the Diploma and Degree programmes, however, I am very involved in the Level 4 qualification as I believe I can make the biggest difference there.