Orica Employee Reviews

3.9Pay & Benefits
3.4Job Security & Advancement
Very interesting; always busy; challenging and dynamic environment where the people are the assets.
Transport Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Auckland and Mt Maunganui23 August 2012
Typical day:
Operational update from bulk liquid team - providing support to new management team - specialised - taking time for all to settle in following restructure. Working with inhouse fleet operation as well as 3PL service providers. Meetings: Planning (operational/resource demand); Health & Safety: Incident investigation; Financial reporting; Fleet replacement; Carrier Assessments; Tenders.

Due to the nature of the business I've learnt to challenge processes; have a genuine respect for safety and procedures. I've had to learn how to prioritise my days as my responsibilities not only covers bulk liquid but also bulk powders and packaged freight in chemicals as well as lubricants. I've also learnt to use different systems including SAP.

In my current role I have to apply all my skills due to it being predominantly a manufacturing facility where transport is specialised in itself given the nature of the product (Class 8 Corrosive) handled as sell as the fleet it is being distributed in. The management team includes some who have been in the business for decades and can be very supportive of my department. Most of my co-workers are extremely dedicated and passionate about what they do and how they contribute.

The hardest part of the role is to provide the required specialist support and distribution solution to a lot of people in different departments spending a lot of time on the phone as I operate from both the Newmarket office as well as the Mt Maunganui office where the main manufacturing facility is. I also have responsibility for the South Island bulk fleet operation
  more... based out of Timaru. Due to the nature of my role I struggle to spend enough time focussing on strategic matters.

Most of my direct reports are operations experts in their field. In the continuous improvement environment I spend a lot of time mentoring and teaching basic financial and cost management techniques and controls.

There is never a dull moment in my department and I have never not been drained at the end of the day. I've enjoyed being able to contribute with my past experience from a financial reporting perspective, setting up financial budgets built from the bottom up and separating cost centres to improve cost management and understanding.
Pros
ongoing investment in its employees.
Cons
highly specialised yet competitive environment with limited resources.