Oxfam
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Oxfam Pay & Benefits reviews: Fundraiser

this place is super cool. you do good work for people that need it. i’d say that the signup goals can be a little hard to achieve for a newbie in such a short amount of time but if you’re good at it you’ll progress quickly.
Pros
exploring your area, bonuses
Cons
sometimes unrealistic expectations
Good for college kids looking for some extra money or sales experience. Don't do it full time for a living, especially outside Dublin. Not for meek people, you will be stuck in the rain for 8 hours a day and at some point you'll probably have to argue with management. Colleagues are always cool people though.
Pros
Sales experience
Cons
Erratic management
So far you're constantly hitting your target it's a fun and nice place to work. There's no tension in the work environment. There's a high rate of staff turn over for the door-to-door fundraiser. if you're showing prospect you can become a team leader and earn a slightly higher salary and performance related pay.
Pros
Job is flexible, especially for students in college
Cons
working in outdoor conditions, the pressure as it is a target based driven job same with any job in this category
Working as an Oxfam fundraiser has been an immense pleasure for me. If you are looking for a positive work environment, diverse culture and a supportive team, this is the place to be. Growth and development of the employees is a priority for the management team and they provide the necessary support at all times. Creativity and new ideas are always welcomed and encouraged. It is an outdoors job which lets you visit new locations and meet new people, everything an extrovert like me can dream of. The job is a bit exhausting due to weather conditions and some of the indifferent people. However, at the end of the day, you sleep knowing you did something to make the world a better place than it was yesterday. If you have good communication skills, passionate about women’s rights and care about the issues of the world, come and join us at Oxfam.
Working as a fundraiser at Oxfam has allowed me to sharpen my communication skills and learn how to engage with people to make an incredible impact for a global cause I care about. The team is young, energetic and supportive. Our shared passion for advocacy creates a fun, collaborative environment allowing us to learn from each other. On a typical day, we raise awareness of the organization’s work, goals and provide resources to potential donors. Our responsibility is to secure donations that support Oxfam projects globally. We mainly work outdoors so it is important to dress appropriately (check the weather) and manage your energy to work efficiently.
Decent pay with bonuses. Rewarding job, decent management to help, a good team to help you as well. Biggest issue is the job itself. Its hard to sell charity outside for 8 hours a day, as well as the fact you're talking about very harrowing stories so can have an effect on mental health.
While I worked as a Street Fundraiser at Oxfam GB, I learnt the value of talking to members of the public about charitable organisations and how to work best within a team. On a typical day at work, I would do my best to reach the targets that were set by ensuring that I spoke as enthusiastically and as passionately as possible to the general public. The hardest part of the job was, arguably, working in a heavily target-based environment. However, despite its difficulties, I very much enjoyed working as a Street Fundraiser on behalf of Oxfam and I felt incredibly proud to raise funds for such a charitable employer.
Great crowd Good salary No transport Exposure to cold Outdoors activity Impossible target Not a respected job Negative impact on public Well organised Reliable management
Pros
Good salary
Cons
Outdoors job
It can be a challenging job but it teaches you a lot in terms of skills. Resilience and confidence are key to becoming a successful fundraisers. You can massively improve your interpersonal skills as you need to build a relationship with your team and potential donors.
Pros
Work for a great cause
Cons
Work outside in winter
Working as a door to door fundraiser can have it's perks, such as great pay (especially for a young person). However to ensure your future as a fundraiser you need to get people to sign up to Oxfam. Knocking on doors means that people aren't in, they don't answer or they simply say no. Co-workers are great to work with, this makes the day more enjoyable.
Pros
Great pay
Cons
Very long hours, need signups which are not guarenteed, monday to friday