Palmerston North City Council
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Palmerston North City Council Employee Reviews

New Zealand6 reviews
The work culture is very good. Employees get along with each other well.Typical day at work would be very nice because we get to talk to people from different backgrounds and solve their enquiries.
Constant reviews and reorganisations trying to fix a broken culture. Disingenuous management who promise fair and honest feedback and do the opposite. The incredible turnover of staff shows what the culture is like.
Chased overdue debts by ringing and writing letters. Dealt with queries, Reconciliations of accounts. Raising invoices.

I learnt that all obstacles can be overcome if you have a positive attitude.

I worked very closely with management and provided them with updates when needed.

I initiated the "lolly run" (Sweets) - every afternoon and then others took turns to hand them round. It built up good spirits in the group making everyone feel cheerful. We also went out every Friday for "morning tea/coffee" with my office colleagues- It made the whole office refreshed and pleasant.

The hardest part of the job was when I first took the job. The debt ledger was extremely high. I managed to reduce it greatly. The accounts were in a mess and I reconciled the accounts to what it should have been - In some cases I had to go back years.

The most enjoyable part of the job was every 2 months we had team bonding where we had to work in groups challenging the other teams.
Pros
Job security
Cons
Catching up when returning from holiday
checking equipment in general , go out and do job. I learned that you must be kind to other fellow workers because you never know when you may need each other. I was not happy the way that some management was handled. I made many friends and I still have them as friends today. The hardest part of the job was some expletive undoing the wheel nuts on my ride on mower, and taking a fellow worker back to the depot because he almost wrecked a 1100 dollar motor mower, and he was stoned. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting thankyous, and compliments from members of the public and changing a car tyre for an elderly couple .
Pros
Receiving an award and vouchers from management for a job well done.
Cons
Expletives interfering with my equipment, it was stupi and dangerous
I can't speak highly enough of this organisation and I can't thank them enough for the opportunities that they have given me over the past 13 years of employment. There was never a dull moment. A very interesting and in depth job which had me thinking on my feet.
Through this job I learnt the importance of working as part of a team as well as working on my own. I also learnt that time management is very important in a very busy and complex job.

I worked for three managers, General Manager, Administration Support Manager and the Planning Manager, all of whom wanted everything done yesterday and I think that was the hardest part about my job.

The most enjoyable part of my job would have been the people that I worked with and the friendships that I formed, not only within the Council but also among the outside stakeholders. There are some truly supportive, wonderful people out there.
Pros
Definately the contact with the stakeholders and public.
Cons
No further development opportunities open to me.
This was a physical and very active job.I learn t how to separate plastics from paper and cardboard, and glass .The management was really good,I didn't have any co workers except from the drivers of the recycling truck.The hardest part of the job was the constant running and lifting the heavy bags and throwing them up into the truck.The most enjoying part of the job was going home to rest.
Pros
was the pay
Cons
really long hours
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Palmerston North City Council?