PetSmart

PetSmart Employee Reviews

3.3Work–Life Balance

Found 11,854 reviews matching the searchSee all 11,855 reviews

Fun work environment in Grooming Salon, but is busy all the time. Can be stressful. Not much help from management.

I was employed for 13 yrs. with PetSmart. I loved my co-workers, my clients and my dogs! Only negative is no support from management. They promise to help you out, but don't. No discipline for people who do wrong, weekly.

Pros

Good benefits, good pay

Cons

No breaks, too busy...No extra help from managers..always short staffed.

Fun and easygoing workplace

I absolutely love my job. Management is great, treats you with respect and is understanding and helpful if you have questions. Coworkers are also amazing people. All of them care for each other, respect each other and are easy to talk to. Customers are almost always friendly and understanding. Pay is good, hours are decent but fluctuate due to corporate policies.

Pros

Great management, good pay and friendly coworkers

Cons

Short lunch break

Great place to work with animals!

Working with animals is always amazing, working with the company was good. The employees were great, but the management could use work on team building and not choosing favorites.

Can be a great place to work

They don’t care and you can very easily lose your job with out warning, they do care about pets and most policies are necessary. But accidents happen and humans are humans. They treated me unfairly and also my immediate manager

Pros

Decent money grooming

Cons

Terrible management

Not worth it if you're a groomer or bather.

You don't get paid enough. Management doesn't care about you. I was out with covid and explained I was being hospitalized and Management texted me nearly everyday asking when I would be back in. They don't pay well. They care more about money than the safety of the pets or their employees.

Pros

You can keep your tips

Cons

30 min breaks that you might get booked over.

Good pay and work environment

Like any retailer there are opportunities but overall I am satisfied with my job. Pay is good and PTO is the best I’ve seen. Depending on your team work/Life balance is good.

not enough hours and Bad managers

undesirable leadership traits that cause friction between supervisors and employees and not enough hours even tho they can and bad shifts that change on a whim

fun people

coworkers were awesome, animals were not kept in good care, had to pick up slack for those who didn't care about the pets, alot of the small animals got ring worm

Was fun but the management was terrible

Everything was about numbers there. Managers were very strict about our numbers and cared more about that than anything else. I love animals and I was good at my job but mangers made me not want to be there.

Steady job, company couldn't cate less about employees

If you are desperate for a job or not interested in fair pay, this is the place for you. It is a privately owned company so it squeezes every penny possible from associates at the store level.

No help

#anything for pets is a slogan for PetSmart. Labor constraints to accomplish the tasks do not provide time for leaders to be leaders. It truly is about the money ...

Petsmart is one of the best companies to work for.

I worked there for about 2 years and loved it! I wasn’t a fan of some of the management team or some coworkers, but as long as you do your job and don’t get involved in the drama, you’ll be just fine! I would have to say Petsmart is one of the best places I’ve worked! Due to a shoulder injury I couldn’t continue being a groomer, if my shoulder wasn’t an issue I would totally still be there! Trust me you’ll love it there!!

Pros

Pay, benefits, animals.

Cons

Some managers and some coworkers.

What is the best part of working at the company?Learning different things about animals and helping people with their pets because of that.What is the most stressful part about working at the company?I wasn't stressed there at allWhat is the work environment and culture like at the company?Friendly and everyone seemed to get treated the same and we had fun having little get together party's for holidays and things. All in all we were like a big group of friends.What is a typical day like for you at the company?Helping customers and keeping the store neat and clean and not only meeting the customers but their pets.

It’s retail

It’s everything you expect from retail, helping customers, stocking shelves, cash register. Part time and never enough hours to go around. Good first job

Dodgy and dragging work experience with out proper compensation and explanation of contracts

Not a great place to work, and it's very misleading upon hiring and interview. Force's managerial work upon people. Does NOT follow safety procedures.

Pros

Nothing good

Cons

Misleading contracts for career advancement, Short Breaks, Forces more work with out the pay and title compensation, Bad Management, Manipulative

Nice working with animals, but not the humans

Got bit multiple times by hamsters. The hamsters are evil. Pay was okay for a first job, and the shifts were fine. Being a cashier was easy and calm, but doing petcare was stressful. Especially since they were understaffed and had a long list of duties for me to do in just 4 hours. On the plus side, I got good at talking because of all the conversations i would have with customers.

The worst place to work.

Only teenagers should work at PetSmart cuz the manager speak to you like you a child.The most horrible job I ever had in my lifeThis is not a great work environment for anybody have anxiety.

Unreliable Hours and unfortunate animal care policies

PetSmart really needs to update it's animal care policies as its misguiding thousands of people into abusing their animals. The hours are majorly unreliable and and low. It really is fun interacting with customers who care, but the ones who don't make it a hard time.

Pros

friendly management, discounts

Cons

low hours, irresponsible customers

Good overall place to work, but pay is questionable

I had a great time working for Petsmart for just shy of a year. The management at my location was exceptional being one of the top 20 store locations so I might have been just lucky. I can definitely see how one bad egg can make a location completely toxic though. Ours was a mid size store so we had about 15-20 staff and the amount you rely on each other just to do your job is high so if one person doesn't pull their weight it can really drag your day down and make everyone edgy, the other side of this is like at my location most of the time where everyone works hard and as a team and go home happy most of the time

Pros

Flexible scheduling as long as you can find someone willing to swap, if something comes up you can usually go as long as its a good reason, Puppies, benifits like 401k, affordable good; healthcare, dental, and vision

Cons

one break per 5hr shift, weak pay, one bad apple can make a location as a whole hostile.

Fun place to work

It's fun to work there the days fly by but the manager asks to much , like working through lunch off the clock and doing other people's jobs. The pay is poor I worked there for 3 years and never got a raise the new hires all got paid more than I did I feel like it was due to the fact I was not white. I was the senior cashier and I would train the new staff as well both on the register and with the animals and my trainee would get paid more than me.

Pros

Holidays they bring food

Cons

Breaks 30 min gross break room

It was ok

I worked as a bather for a few months and it was fine. Co-workers were all very nice but management was poor most of the time. The salon manager at the back waso ok but the general manager made working in that environment difficult.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at PetSmart. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• PetSmart