PetSmart
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

PetSmart Employee Reviews

3.4Work–Life Balance

Showing all 10,802 reviews

Fun work environment in Grooming Salon, but is busy all the time. Can be stressful. Not much help from management.

I was employed for 13 yrs. with PetSmart. I loved my co-workers, my clients and my dogs! Only negative is no support from management. They promise to help you out, but don't. No discipline for people who do wrong, weekly.

Pros

Good benefits, good pay

Cons

No breaks, too busy...No extra help from managers..always short staffed.

the company doesn't care about its associates.

the store doesn't care about anyone of the associates. there is a lot of blaming the employee verse the management. If an associate has a complaint it's not taken seriously but pushed aside. The manager will over work employees and make them feel like they aren't worth anything and are replaceable. If an employee calls out because they have an emergency the manager will blame them and tell them they still have to come in. People are afraid to speak out because of retaliation. There is no proper communication on important matters. If you stand up for yourself you told you are not a team player. The company doesn't even seem to be concerned with employee concerns.

Pros

the only good thing is when you have good pet parents and request clients.

Cons

managers use their position to make employees feel worthless and unheard, Or they use scare/retaliation tactics if you express any concerns about proper treatment, There really is no one to rely on or talk to.

Good job for high schoolers . Fun seeing pets

Good job for high schoolers . I enjoyed seeing pets of all sorts, giving them treats, I also enjoyed having discounts on store products, I got to hold a snake one ce

Avoid working here.Job itself is basic. Barely any training. Severly outdated animal information. Company does not care for animal wellbeing.

It's tolerable if you've got good management willing to do what's needed. Otherwise it's a toxic wasteland of a workplace.Company refuses to update its pet information. As a result leads to animals suffering. Pet associates are not trained, give improper advice which leads to sick and dead animals. Associates are often exposed to potentionaly dangerous chemicals without proper PPE. HR activity punishes workers who seek help.

Pros

Cute animals, 15% discount.

Cons

Animal abuse in plain sight, Actively encouraged to follow procedures that are known to be harmful to animals, Minimal training, Severely out dated information regarding animal care, Selling items marketed towards specific animals that are well known to cause death to said animals

Great job!

Great place to work! Great team of employees. Fun working with pets and people. Plenty to do. You don't get bored here. Busy environment. Loved working here.

Pros

Fun activities.

Cons

Cleaning up after pets.

They don't care about animals.

You are expected to care for every animal in the store in a matter of hours, which is only possible if you do a terrible job. You receive zero training on how to actually care for the animals past what the throw in their enclosures in the morning to feed them. Any education on the animals is done unpaid on your own time. A lot of the things you sell are actually bad for the animals and you aren't allowed to say so. Every day you have to sell animals into homes you know are going to be terrible for them. The guilt will slowly eat at any moral person.

Pros

You get to work with animals, flexible hours, weekly pay, good about breaks

Cons

Poor training, bad pay, neglectful to animals, overworked.

Productive.

Don’t get me wrong was a great job, but due to the lack of ventilation was always consistently sweating which overall started drying my skin out. If you don’t mind the heat in a hot building in the summer shoot for it, other wise loved working around animals.

Pros

Free pet food

Cons

Short breaks

Fun place to work. Medium work load, nice and helpful coworkers, and generally kind pet parents.

The employees work well together and are very accepting (aside from the lack of racial diversity). The managers do their best to accommodate to your schedule and are understanding about conflicts. Generally a positive work environment.

Pretty ok job but no life at my location due to bad management

Could be better but its retail so expect to not have a life unless you are single and don’t care about having personal time. Lucky to get pto approved.

Hard but rewarding work

Working here is enjoyable and fun for the most part. It is my favorite job that I have had. The only cons I would say that there are is the fact that corporate is constantly on top of you, pushing you to stay within certain hours and be faster ALWAYS. It can get stressful very quick. But the actual work is often fun and rewarding, you get to meet lots of dogs and plenty of appreciative owners.

Pros

Meeting dogs and owners are very grateful most times

Cons

Corporate, strict on leaving exactly when your shift ends (with difficult or large dogs this can be very hard)

Ok but not enough pay.

I was a trainer here. Pretty much ran a whole department for the same wage as a new cashier. Training dogs was amazing but cooperate will try to make you push classes and items that I find are not benefits to the dogs.

Pros

Dogs

Cons

Pay

Fun, informative job

I enjoyed working there, learned a lot but the pay and hours aren’t livable. There’s not much advancements without being first in line when something happens to a position.

Pros

See and learn about animals.

Cons

Managers are typical, and hours.

Animals & coworkers were the saving grace.

Animals were the best part of this job, and my coworkers. Poor corporate management from the top. Constant changes that did not have the animals' best interest.

Pros

coworkers

Cons

poor pay, nonsensical corporate changes constantly

Always location dependent of course, but everyone is expendable and make sure not to blink wrong.

Very stressful. No support and only asked to work harder. Covid parameters terrible. Will do as little as possible to improve a bad situation or equipment.

Fast paced work with little to no labor to help out the morning management team

After 15yrs working at Petsmart I had to depart due to the store leader not knowing work and personal life boundaries. Always calling off the clock and calling me during my once a year vacation to come back and work. Worst part was my wife being sick at work and not being able to leave 30 min early to see her at the hospital, but yet he would come in 3hrs late and I wouldn’t get a lunch.

Pros

A fair bonus at the end of the year, good insurance

Cons

No lunches, edited punches so no over time got pain.

Dont do it

Just dont. Toxic corporate work environment. Groomers are just numbers and they do not care about safety. They claim they do but no. You will get written up for coughing wrong. Go to a private salon to learn or grooming school.

Pros

Pto, Insurance

Cons

Everything besides PTO and Insurance

Great co-workers and boss

I enjoyed working with all of my co-workers, and this was a great first job as a teenager. My boss was very supportive and kind, and I really enjoyed my time there.

Overall good experience

Typical cashier position & Managers were probably best I've had. Work schedule was always flexible. There'd always be free stuff in the break room from different pet brands & there'd usually be food catered monthly as well.

Retail

It’s a great place to work. Definitely wish I had more hours to give the team. They work hard and pushed through the pandemic like champs. Proud to work here.

Be prepared to do all of the dirty work at the pet hotel

new hires get stuck in day camp for hours, then have to clean the kennels and do feedings while managers mosey around not doing much. the people in camp are responsible for telling the others that someone is waiting up front because most of the time, people are just in the back. they do truly love and treat the animals well, but the turnover rate is high because they ONLY treat the animals well. if the managers like you, youre set. otherwise, good luck...

Pros

building relationships with the animals

Cons

standing all day with no breaks, responsible for everything as a new hire

Fun

Worked here straight out of high school as a PT job pretty fun management was awesome and a shift here was never boring. Co workers were great except there’s always “the one” but overall a fantastic experience

Ask a question about working or interviewing at PetSmart. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• PetSmart
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?