Public Trust Employee Reviews

Amateur hour
Manager (Former Employee) –  Auckland12 August 2019
I would suggest some caution on the more glowing reviews of this organisation. The Executive leadership team are simply not up to the mark, government owned but run like a private equity owned business. At management level (Tier 3 and 4) most staff don't last long. Curiously most Tier 2's are great at digging their heels in - not a lot of accountability.
Pros
Seldom work past 5
Cons
Everthing else
Much improved culture
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Auckland30 July 2019
The culture has changed much for the better at Public Trust in 2019 with better direction from senior exec and moves to put some of the past (predominantly Wellington based) structures behind it.

The workplace is generally a pretty fun place to work at and the people are genuine and friendly. Overall people working here are positive about the future of the business and love what they do for their customers. It's not without it's challenges like every organisation but I'd recommend it as a good place to work.
Pros
Do great things for the customer, inceased focus on employees
Cons
Legacy/history of the organisation can drag it down
Very poor culture, high staff turnover
Senior Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Wellington City, Wellington9 May 2019
Very high staff turnover and very low staff engagement. This stemmed from poor executive leadership, the low value placed on staff, and a culture of bullying and dysfunction.
Manager (Current Employee) –  Auckland31 October 2018
Honestly a really great place to work. Has been through a lot of change in recent years but things have settled down and there is a real excitement about the future across the business. A varied mix of skilled professionals to work with, all really keen to do a good job. Lots of things going on in the business so suits people who aren't afraid of trying new things.
Pros
Great mix of people, varied work
Cons
Have to be adaptable to new challenges and priorities
Not a good workplace culture
Associate Trustee/Trust Officer (Former Employee) –  Lower Hutt and Wellington13 October 2018
Workplace culture needs to change starting with management
High turn over in staff

Positives:
Empathy towards clients in time of grieving
Meeting new and existing clients
Helping to educate clients needs
An organisation with a great mission
Marketing (Current Employee) –  Auckland7 October 2018
My team is the best part of my day. I work with experts in their areas and I love how I learn from them everyday. My manager sets a bold vision for the team. There's lots to do, but we're doing it for the good of New Zealanders.
Pros
Just the right size; committed people
Cons
Lots of change as the company evolves
Great vision and purpose
Team Manager (Current Employee) –  Auckland7 October 2018
Really positive purpose. An organisation that really is trying to make a difference to Kiwis. Has really changed from the perceptions that were floating about from years ago. A number of new senior and mid-management hires from different sectors that really has a focus on customers.

I feel it has the foundations for making a big difference and the business is prepared to invest in customers and the future.

Compared to most industries people really care about the customer, with high levels of empathy.
Pros
Senior Leadership, Vision and purpose, customer insights to improve customer value and experience, investment into brand, high empathy from staff, friendly place.
Cons
Progress can take longer than desired.
The waste
Senior Manager (Former Employee) –  Auckland CBD, Auckland10 January 2018
Public Trust has been undergoing continuous trasformation for the last 5+ years. Year after year the Board, chaired by the same person, approves loony change programms, which were supposed to turn the business around. The current CEO has surrounded himself with yes-man small group of Execs and created a septic blame culture getting rid off those who disagree. Despite tens of millions of dollars spent on change, neither Board or the Treasury (yes, public money we are talking about) seem to be concerned with the lack of progress - staff engagement at below 50% and the retail sales declining since 2000s.

By far the worst work culture I have experienced. Not only the CEO but every remaining Exec has a terrible market reputation, incompetent as a manager and a bad person.

Under no circumstances consider joining Public Trust (Auckland HO in particular). Working for Public Trust was one of the worst experiences of my life.
Pros
Last resort employer
Cons
Dysfunctional and manipulative leadership
Blame culture/poor Exec level leadership
Senior Management (Current Employee) –  Auckland City, Auckland10 December 2017
Agree with recent comments about Public Trust. Some good people but poor leadership at Exec level and no self reflection at this level. As identified by previous contributor lack of any job security due to constant structural changes. Agree re blame culture. Would not recommend.
Pros
Depends on the role - many roles people focused
Cons
Blame culture. Lack of accountability at Exec level
Embedded blame culture
Property & Procurement Manager (Former Employee) –  Greenlane5 October 2017
There are some incredible people working at Public Trust. However, the senior executive does not function well and there is a thriving blame culture. Public Trust is very process driven and often takes it's eye of the goal as a result.
Pros
Great work colleagues
Cons
Blame culture
Incoherent leadership
Retail team (Current Employee) –  Auckland, Auckland17 May 2017
An executive team disconnected with business reality. A temporary culture of almost permanent restructure. Culture of regular departures of staff in unusual circumstances. An unengaging and aloof CEO. Unrealistic demands on time. Lack of communication about business strategy and seemingly incoherent business strategy. Seriously under resourced. Lack of culture of honesty and integrity. I would not recommend Public Trust as an employer.

On the positive side some day to day parts of the job are really enjoyable, if you can put up with the rest.
Pros
Some nice people in the Company
Cons
As noted. I think this is a general feeling of many staff.
Very demanding work place but very less pay
Trust Officer (Former Employee) –  Lower Hutt , Wellington NZ5 February 2017
Too much writing and spending too much time on the phone dealing with the beneficiaries. And I learned to stick to the will no matter what the beneficiaries say. The management sometimes helpful but they also do need help. The hardest part of the job is listening to the beneficiaries and their complaints but you can't do anything about it. The most enjoyable part when everyone is satisfied with the service and having office drinks( happy hour) every Friday
Pros
Free drinlks
Cons
Emotional
Shocking place to work - needs a serious overhaul from top management down
Administration Officer (Former Employee) –  Lower Hutt City, Wellington3 November 2016
At the head office, in lower hutt the staff are unhappy, there is a culture of bullying and intimidation tactics.

I saw a married junior manager approach a new staff member for a date when she politely refused his comment was I'll sort it. He then met with that persons boss for an hour tea break and the person was let go within the hour.

Other staff are unhappy often seen in quiet places crying from one scathing attack or another. Staff are often heard sharing personal derogatory information about their customers loudly in the office, the attitude is we don't work hard we are public sector employees.
Cons
Workpkace bullying and intimidation
Enjoyed the work but not the atmosphere
Senior Trust Officer (Former Employee) –  Lower Hutt City, Wellington18 May 2016
Respond to mail and phone queries. Audit accounts prior to statement print. Assist new team members.
Customer contact was mostly enjoyable
Cons
Excessive workload to come back to after time off
First time working for a government owned entity
Title - Custodial Services Officer (Former Employee) –  Wellington/ New Zealand11 June 2014
I did two roles in my time at Public Trust. Customer Investment Services Administrator which was a year long secondment. Great team and learned new skills such as updating docs in Indesign, uploading on the intranet and internet. Helping out with the closing of funds and inputting in the opening of new funds. My first role at Public Trust was as Custodial Services Officer. Where we were custodians/ trustees for companies. Work was very varied and very busy. I enjoyed it most of the time.
Pros
Learning new skills
Cons
Not much room for movement
Some very nice and pleasant colleagues with good technical skills
Business Development Manager (Former Employee) –  Auckland, N28 April 2014
Each day was different dealing with Business development concepts has its challenges from providing technical advice to advisers to negotiating multimillion dollar endowment funds as well as fronting large charitable trusts boards.
Pros
exciting and challaging
fun workplace
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Auckland20 November 2013
Excellent working environment,
how to fix forms
draft emails
talk to clients on the phone
Pros
flexible lunch breaks