PwC logo
PwC
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

PwC Employee Reviews in Calgary, AB

Work–Life Balance

Found 31 reviews matching the searchSee all 8,024 reviews

Fun workplace

I really enjoyed being part of a team here, and learning more about public practice accounting! The workplace culture was extremely warm and welcoming!

Fast learning environment

Fast Learning environment, with a lot work with stressful deadlines, many admin work to complete your main role. As Consultant you travel a lot and many of those dates are extended.

Technology and work-life balance lacking

PwC prides itself on work-life balance and technology but I found that to be the complete opposite. I was overworked and underpaid and had to take on a lot of responsibilities that were not part of my job title, nor was my "official" job title appropriate for my position. Many others had assumed titles/positions but did not do the work that would come with it whereas others had the responsibilities of a certain position but not the title. The company tries to adopt technology but uses different tech for each department (none of which work coherently with the other) and are outdated. There is no internal client service from other staff or departments like IT, Business Centre, Billing, PAs and it seems to take everybody across all departments 10 extra steps to get anything done or be productive.

Pros

The only pros were the health benefits

Cons

Long hours, anxiety, stress, disorganization, poor management and communication

Poor Management, understaffed and overworked.

PwC is not a great place to start off your career. You will be belittled and made to feel as if you are a worthless piece of garbage. You will receive extraordinarily low pay for the long hours that are required of this job. I worked for PwC for 4 years and have my CPA designation yet I don't know of anybody who was paid the same as or lower than I was - including new graduates and entry level postion workers. Further, everything is hidden from employees including performance assessments and reasons for bonuses and promotions. This is because the majority of the time employees are rewarded for who they know and not how they contribute - although there are a few standout employees who occasionally will receive the praise they deserve. The more work you accomplish, the more gets put onto you until you reach a point where you are punished because you can no longer finish all of your own work, the work of your managers, and at the same time assist your associates. There is a reason why the firm has very high turnover rates and that most people leave before completing 4 years. In addition to this, there is an issue at the company of retaining high performing staff which results in the promotion of incompetent individuals to manager positions. The only enjoyable part of this job are attending the company social events where you will often be rewarded with one or two free beverages.

A great place to learn

Constantly challenged with new work and opportunities in many areas and with a variety of companies and industries. Lots of opportunity to travel and work with new people.

Pros

Flexibility

Okay company

Wasn't the best place for me as it didn't challenge me enough. Little opportunity for advancement or didn't even interview you for a different position. The people were great though.

Seasonal Manager

The hours worked are long during the months of January - June usually a minimum of 14 hours and this is 6 days a week. Revenue driven with no care for employees.

Good for your resume

Overall PwC is a good start into the work force, you will appreciate the learning opportunities in the first years and and the learning never stops. Office politics can make it difficult to advance at a certain point. Work/life balance during busy season is virtually non-existent.

Pros

LEarning opportunities

Cons

work/life balance

Fast-paced working environment with room to growth however very limited work-life balance

The job has a steep learning curve and definitely has a lot of room for growth. However, the long audit hours and high stress environment are definitely a burden.

Good company for MBA and/or accounting

This is a Company with a really good reputation and opportunities in the accounting field. However it might not be the place to grow in other fields. Flexibility is very important to the firm, Depending on your role, there is flexibility in schedule and the ability to work from home The pay is low.

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at PwC?

Great co. for summer internship

Awesome people, great connections. I can imagine in the busy season things may change quite a bit for the exposure however it was a great experience and I feel privileged to have been able to take part and be selected for it

Alright

Great perks if you enjoy accounting but wasn't for me in the end. I decided to get out of the audit world and gravitate towards sales and marketing. Would recommend if you enjoy numbers.

Poor Culture

Work life balance non existent and bad behaviour is rewarded. If you are not part of the "in crowd" you were pretty much on your own. They tend to focus on image more than anything else.

Associate in Assurance

Experience within the firm is heavily influenced by the teams that you are on - if you are on a team with poor management or incompetent team members it is unlikely that your experience will be good. Vice versa - if your main team(s) are good (and you enjoy the work being done) it is possible to have an extremely good experience. Work hours also follow this logic. Some teams worked approximately 80 hours a week during busy season while others barely met the 50 hour a week minimum. Very accommodating as you are allowed to work from home or other locations if needed. There are many opportunities for career and personal development if you take the initiative to seek them out, and as a whole the firm is quite supportive.

Volunteer Position

Gen Next is an great initiative put on by United Way Calgary that builds awareness for social issues within the community. It is aimed at young professionals and encourages leadership development and involvement. PwC has built it's own chapter of this initiative to education and develop the professionals within our company.

This was a very professional office and I enjoyed working here with the team I was surrounded by. I learnt alot while I was here and met great people.

Great place of work

It is very high paced environment that provides a great experience for multitasking. The team is very nice, approachable and technically strong. There are a lot of training for the staff which is a great source of learning. The hours are crazy, there is no time for family or personal life.

Great people

The best part about working at PwC was the people I worked with. There were people that had come from different parts of Canada and the rest of the world which provided a very diverse workplace. The employees are also very driven which provided a great deal of motivation.

Excellent firm

PwC is an outstanding professional firm which provides a full complement of services to its clients around the world and offers great career opportunities in many areas such as assurance, tax and advisory.

Pros

Great opportunities for personal development

Cons

Very resourceful place to work

Management team are very knowledgable, very supportive. Co-workers are very friendly and kind. With various clients base, every day is a learning process.

Admin department

Great benefits. Current management in certain departments just need a bit more knowledge on efficient running work places

Ask a question about working or interviewing at PwC. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.9K