Royal Mail
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Royal Mail Employee Reviews

3.7Work–Life Balance

Showing all 4,737 reviews

Not the job it was

Difficult after long service hard on the body. Not the job it was. Pressure to complete, no time for a break, toilet problems while out on duty. Stressful.

Pros

Out of rat race for too and from work commute

Cons

Pressure to complete workload in too little hours

In and out sort of workplace

People are nice but managers not so much. Workload is rotated from section to section with no organisation. You are not informed till you are sent off to go elsewhere.

Pros

Good pay

Cons

no structure to follow

Good job let down by poor management.

Fantastic colleagues. Was always lovely to interact/form relationships with customers. Very hard work, with lots of heavy lifting and walking. Unfortunately, this workplace is let down by poor management. Constantly changing rota without notice. Never knowing what route you would have for the day. Always having multiple days worth of mail to deliver meaning you would hardly ever have time to take a break.

Pros

Exercise while working Great colleagues Decent pay

Cons

Heavy workload No time for breaks

Mixed review

The job security at RM Filton Mail Centre RMDC - Filton depends alot upon one's willingness to abandon individual thought and adopt institutionalised group think. Don't use initiative, just do as your told. They're very clicky.It's a completely different environment from SWDC Severn Beach, which is more like a warehouse - but better because the managers don't shout abuse, it's calm and peaceful and well run.Those who are part of the gossiping clique in Filton Mail Centre get on fine.I actually liked it until one manager completely lost all sense of reasonableness. Find out for yourself, some people like the environment.Cancellation of shifts is a real bug bear though!

Pros

Organised systems in place.

Cons

Cancel culture and gossip (RMDC Filton). Toxic politics.

Productive and fun place

Working at Royal Mail was very fun and enjoyable.The work was busy but doable.Colleagues were lovely, made some good friends, managers were great too.I really enjoyed working for Royal Mail.

Pros

Active work place

Cons

Short breaks Standing on your feet for 8 hours.

Typical management styles, treated like a number, not a person.

The job itself is quite good. However, the complete lack of nurturing from the management as a new starter is laughable. No training completed to help new starters understand the job role fully, i was just chucked in a van full of parcels with another new starter and expected to know the ins and outs of what to do and not to do, which has resulted in me making a few mistakes and being spoke too by management as if the information i have not recieved his embedded in my brain already. Management are not people persons and its clear to see why the depot im working at is finding it hard to retain staff and is working at more or less 50% of its maximum staff capacity. Royal Mail, if youre reading this, you need someone who can nurture new starters, apply adequate training, support staff instead of overloading.

Pros

When you're not at the depot, its a nice job to drive/walk around delivering peoples post/parcels.

Cons

No training provided. No understanding from management. Expected to work yourself into the ground.

Too much to learn and not enough time to reflect. Popular staff off line to support any questions but not always keen to help.

Job is Business Customer Services, job is not about providing a service or going over and beyond, it’s simply answer the phone resolve call within 3 minutes.. KPI is all this company is about. If you don’t hit your targets expect a late call from the agency dismissing you from immediate affect ..

Pros

Local

Cons

Hard work, robotic, a lot to learn, no work satisfaction at all, lonely place to work.

Not a bad place to work.

Wasn't a bad place to work, really the only drawbacks was standing all day and that it was very repetitive. Warehouse staff could be a bit better with temps, came across as rude most of the time. However, the managers were great and understanding. Anyone can really do this job, however they must be prepared to do some semi-heavy lifting.

Pros

Good Managers Flexible Shifts Good pay

Cons

Long Hours Standing all day

It's a job

Job is OK, nothing special, good money for what is essential unskilled work. Various shifts to suit your needs but most new starters will end up with weekends.

Pros

Free uniform

Cons

Some exceptionally lazy people

Hard work not boring

Very fast paced,fun at times great if you love the outdoors don't mind getting wet and cold as the wet gear provided is rubbish, and meeting different people.Management pitiful not very supportive,

Pros

Cons

Non

Fun & well paid

Worked as a temporary hgv driver at Christmas, great pay but no security as job finished 3 weeks early and started 2 weeks late .Agency didn’t even tell me work had finished ! Units were a joke ! Dashboards were like Blackpool

Pros

Great pay

Cons

Here 1 day gone the next

The people are great made some great friends working here, depending on who you get as a manager can make it or break it.

I enjoy working at Royal Mail but it’s not very family friendly in my experience it’s harder to work around childcare. The people you work with are brilliant

Newport East

Loved this job at 1st, your just a reserve and always will be, Royal Mail tell you when your holidays are, management are shocking, work loads are unrealistic at times, new starters will always be classed as a reserve for many many years to come, and are only there to mop up the garbage from full timers going sick, you will get put on different walks daily with double mail, be aware of this before starting because it will happen. I done 6 months, got offered a 35 hour contract before Royal Mail mentally broke me down. Thriving now that I have left. Some great posties worked in this office though in fairness. Just management was dire

Pros

Uniform some great people worked there.

Cons

Rm tell you when your holidays are, poor vehicles, full timers get treated like royalty, unrealistic tasks, so called managers there were awful.

The big red maffia

BAD CULTURE, NO JOB SECURITY, SHAMEFUL MANAGERS ALL ADDS UP TO USE & ABUSE.They will smile in you face then stab you in the Back. Never take a word they say as any sort of truth,it is only to benefit themselves

Pros

Rates of pay

Cons

The People/Culture

With so many employees and managers there are bound to be a few bad apples, but, in general, a good place to work.

My experience was almost entirely with one particular office, doing a job that won't be found almost anywhere else, so take this with a grain of salt. There was a friendly, relaxed atmosphere. Managers were easy-going. Work quotas were not too high, but it didn't matter, because even if you couldn't reach them, no one seemed to notice.

Pros

Good job security. Pay is not too bad considering it doesn't require skill or hard work.

Cons

The work is not interesting, and it never changes. Idlers get by with doing very little, and there are no consequences.

Good money but no long term security

I worked through manpower and the wage was very good at 11.55 raising too 11.87 ph. Normally always overtime. Unfortunately once it goes quiet you dont get much notice if any about shifts ect.

Pros

Wages

Cons

Long term job security

Easy Job

Easy job to do, good for extra money at Christmas time. Unreliable when it comes to how long the contract lasts. Was told 12 weeks only got to work for 3.

Pros

Good pay, nothing too difficult besides moderate physical activity.

Alright

Alright place to work, good bunch of people working there, gets busy at Christmas which is to be expected. Alot of walking helps to keep you fit and healthy.

Great place to worm

Great place to work if you’re learning mechanics, good training to be had, excellent career progression. Tools all supplied and replaced if broken. 35h weeks!

Lots of walking but heavy bag of mail and packets was more of a challenge. Good management support.

I liked this job because of the walking and I lost several inches off my waistline as a bonus. Unfortunately my feet and ankles suffered as a result and I had to give up the job after first year. I enjoyed the rapport with customers even though there are always a few grumpy people around. Part time contract meant low pro rata holiday pay with many obstacles to getting parity. Given 24hr contract but most weeks I would have logged 6 days with 40 - 50 hours. Company appeared to be always short staffed. Most vans were old and rough and too small for amount of parcels. PDAs logged every move of the postie but were frustrating to operate especially when wet. Lunch break was paid but most staff did not have time to take all the break entitled

Pros

Great exercise if you can endure it without injury Good pay for fairly unskilled job

Cons

Unrealistic working hours did not match contracted hours

Good place to work, casual atmosphere, team leaders always happy to help

Really good place to work and everyone seemed to enjoy their job which makes a difference. I only wish they had more work for me after the busy Christmas period.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Royal Mail. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• Royal Mail