Ryman Healthcare

Ryman Healthcare Employee Reviews

New Zealand33 reviews

3.3Work–Life Balance

Was definitely a hard job but my co workers were really nice to me even though they were much older then me but it was hard to manage Monday-Friday while having 2 kids at home plus covering everyday for someone at the job

Pros

Nice workplace

Cons

- was hard - gave a quick brief on what to do and I had to figure the rest on my own

Lovely residents but terrible management

Often expected to do everything perfectly which is impossible in a timely manner. Often you don’t get breaks and senior staff are not helpful.Not great training for resident or staff safety in most cases as they expect one person to be able to handle residents who clearly needs 2 assist or more.

Busy workplace, sometimes expected to work miracles

When I began at Ryman they promised to pay above industry average wages. They have gone back on this promise and as minimum wages rise their pay rates for employees has not risen at the same rate. As a caregiver your day can be extremely busy. Sometimes the list of work given is unrealistic - even if all of your residents are having a “good” day. The unit co-ordinater made several requests for permission from head office to roster on another caregiver which was always declined. The workload was often increasing but the pay and hours rostered stay the same. On a positive note if you like extra work there are often shifts going. I loved the residents and 99% of the employees there are awesome! Ryman does a great job of maintaining and encouraging positive team culture. Everyone in my unit was a mentor and happy to share their knowledge and experience. There are team benefits, uniform provided, and sock and shoe allowance.

Inadequate training for new caregivers

I got hired as a caregiver on a casual contract. I was completely new to caregiving and felt like I was thrown into the deep end as the training was insufficient (3 days of orientation) and there were so many different jobs to pick up throughout the day due to COVID regulations. They are also very understaffed so as a casual you could easily end up doing full time hours which in my case wasn’t possible and I had informed them I was only looking to do part time hours. Most of the staff are kind and helpful and want you to do well but I felt overwhelmed with all the work thrown at me, especially since most of the long term caregivers didn’t have things written down, you were just expected to remember the preferences and conditions of the 40 residents. I heard that working at the rest home is more manageable for a new caregiver, the hospital section is very full on and I wouldn’t recommend it to someone who has not done caregiving before.

Very exciting place to work

Beautiful place to work, You walk in with a smile and go home with a smile, team work is good, elderly people are fabulous 😍 Keeping the environment clean a sparkling is a must for residents to feel at home, peaceful and relaxing

Over worked on an average pay

The disconnection between head office and construction site is making things harder. You will be overwhelmed by how many tasks and responsibilities you have.

Pros

Cons

No advancement in the company

Fast-paced environment, great management.

I have loved working with my residents, feel sometimes that the time isn't quite enough. We have a great work environment, friendly staff. Supportive management.

Pros

Free coffee, tea and fruit .

Cons

Often short staffed

Good place for bullies. Managers at head office are terrible. Newbie managers at site

Worked with ryman for 3 plus years and resigned now. The travel nurse job was fun. Did that for two years even though no pay for travel day/ shifting day. Seen most of the country. Working long term in one place is a nightmare in most of the villages because of the culture of this place. No respect for nurses. If you know the language of money, then this place is for you. Managers are new and cannot say no to head office managers- meaning they will push all those terrible job to nurses and care givers.

Pros

Free fruit a day. Good pay

Cons

Terrible mangers. Terrible headoffice

Committed to kindness, excellence, innovation and people!

I really enjoy working at Ryman. I feel as a company we've been able to achieve the holy grail of being kind and caring people that are absolutely focused on delivering the very best service to our residents, their families and our team mates. It's all summed up by the very simple phrase, it's got to be good enough for mum, or dad.

Pros

Great team mates, sense of purpose, excellent training

Cons

High workload

Stressful and not great training

I was only at Ryman Healthcare for a month as a Caregiver before I resigned. I hadn't done any sort of Caregiving work before this so I was very new. They were good about it at first but then the pressure gets put on very quickly and I wasn't working as well as I should have been. They have VERY high standards of their staff and for someone as new as me, they expected too much. Most of the staff were pretty helpful but I later learnt that someone had been complaining about how I worked that they removed alot of my shifts to only be working 6 hours a week. The explanation was because my work wasn't up to scratch that some of the staff just simply didn't want me around. They were willing to give me a couple days of more training to keep me around but I was already so upset as I tried my absolute best at this job and was really excited to start. Just really upsetting and it could have been a much better experience.Also the staff there were 90% foreign which was hard to work with sometimes. Hardly any Kiwis

Pros

Good Staff mostly helpful

Cons

Long hours, Not enough pay for the work you do, Foreign Staff Culture

Very supportive and productive environment to work in

The staff were great and supportive. i learnt how to plan my personal cares with my Buddy, time management was prioritised. Some of the work was demanding and stressful at times only due to lack of communication.

Pros

scholarships and great team

Cons

demanding work when you have no support with transfering patients

Terrible bullying culture

As a caregiver, they expected far too much from a high school leaver. I was showering vulnerable older people in very tight time frames all by myself. When I asked for some support in an area I wasn't comfortable with (on my first day after my 3 day training), I was told to deal with it or quit. This was particularly bad as I was afraid of hurting a more vulnerable person. The staff training me were bullies, and there was a bizarre culture with one employee yelling in my face when on my first day I put a basket in the wrong part of the laundry. My line manager was very disorganised, and I had no way of finding out when/if I would be rostered one. I attended my first day of work after my training and 2 hours in was told that I wasn't meant to be working that day due to this disorganization. It was a terrible experience, and I know from other people that my experience was not unusual.

Pros

Decent pay, paid lunch break

Cons

Terrible culture, disorganized, bullying

Fun workplace but lacks a lot

All round awesome work environment, the residents are beautiful I love my job but the hardest part about the job is there’s never any communication and the pay rate sucks I wish we were valued more. We are not even at living wage. Rent, food and power/gas are so expensive these days and being on the pay rate I’m at doesn't help me. I’m living fortnight to fortnight. I wish we were heard a lot more with pay rates. Yes pay rate is way above minimum wage but when your living in a city rent is way high. Also if it wasn’t for the residents I would’ve left ages ago.

Pros

Residents and staff

Cons

Pay rate and not being valued enough

Terrible place

I worked really hard for Ryman healthcare. I hold a Bachelor of Nursing. They have a toxic environment. The management barely interact with or help their staff. I loved the residents but I'm so pleased I resigned. My life is so much better without the bullying and toxic environment they provide. Good riddance!

Pros

Resident appreciation

Cons

Ryman Healthcare is toxic and bullying is constant there.

Very enjoyable place to work

The residents are wonderful, and the staff are awesome and so welcoming , I clean the rooms and really enjoy having talks with the elderly residents. I have been out of work for some time but when I started, everyone made me feel very comfortable. I am doing causal/ on call, house keeping is hard work but what makes it easier is the fantastic staff you work with.

Poor Management

I thought that supporting their staff when it comes to education will be a high priority for them since it will help their staff improve the quality of work for the residents but they did not. Expecting high standards from the management for staff. The most enjoyable part of the job is how I interact with my colleagues with minimal stress.

Pros

good staff and environment

Cons

lack of staff and poor management

Amazing

Amazing caring work place . A job that makes you feel like you are making a positive difference in others life’s. Very supportive, friendly community.

nice residents and place, everything great except staff and management bullying

Residents are lovely but the staff and management are very mean and bossy. The most enjoyable part was interacting with the residents and the job was good, good pay. But a lot of workplace bullying and management bringing new silly rules that aren't practical, some staff are quite bossy and rude.

Pros

nice residents, free food

Cons

horrible managment and staff

Beautiful facility and great staff

Their roster was flexible, it provided me enough time to focus on my studies. Great team players, we supported each other to get the job done. Most staff were flexible to swap shifts if required urgently.

excellent company. needs to increase RN salary though.

Worked here for 1.5years as a nurse. It's an excellent company compared to other private aged care facilities. However, salary for nurses are still a bit low. No extra allowance for travelling nurse and travel day is not payed, there's even no hazard pay for travel. Maybe if they try to increase the nurses' salary, they will retain more staff.

A great place to be when before bullies came and hurt alit if stafff and residents

This was a job I lived and breathed for . Such a lovely place to be with such lovely elderly and mostly good staff . That is my one star . They fall down BADLY on mental health of staff who have suffered EXTREME BULLYING . The managers and long term actuvity workers have been the only reason ALOT if staff have left due to their lack of empathy and support . Bullying is STILL rife in this village period.

Pros

Clean tidy workplace

Cons

Terrible pay and a bully culture

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ryman Healthcare. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• Ryman Healthcare