Ryman Healthcare
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews
Ryman Healthcare Employee Review

Terrible bullying culture

11 September 2020
As a caregiver, they expected far too much from a high school leaver. I was showering vulnerable older people in very tight time frames all by myself. When I asked for some support in an area I wasn't comfortable with (on my first day after my 3 day training), I was told to deal with it or quit. This was particularly bad as I was afraid of hurting a more vulnerable person. The staff training me were bullies, and there was a bizarre culture with one employee yelling in my face when on my first day I put a basket in the wrong part of the laundry. My line manager was very disorganised, and I had no way of finding out when/if I would be rostered one. I attended my first day of work after my training and 2 hours in was told that I wasn't meant to be working that day due to this disorganization. It was a terrible experience, and I know from other people that my experience was not unusual.
Pros
Decent pay, paid lunch break
Cons
Terrible culture, disorganized, bullying
23 December 2020
Same role
Caregiver (Former Employee) - Rangiora, Canterbury
I was only at Ryman Healthcare for a month as a Caregiver before I resigned. I hadn't done any sort of Caregiving work before this so I was very new. They were good about it at first but then the pressure gets put on very quickly and I wasn't working as well as I should have been. They have VERY high standards of their staff and for someone as new as me, they expected too much. Most of the staff were pretty helpful but I later learnt that someone had been complaining about how I worked that they removed alot of my shifts to only be working 6 hours a week. The explanation was because my work wasn't up to scratch that some of the staff just simply didn't want me around. They were willing to give me a couple days of more training to keep me around but I was already so upset as I tried my absolute best at this job and was really excited to start. Just really upsetting and it could have been a much better experience.Also the staff there were 90% foreign which was hard to work with sometimes. Hardly any Kiwis
Pros
Good Staff mostly helpful
Cons
Long hours, Not enough pay for the work you do, Foreign Staff Culture
19 October 2020
Same role
Caregiver Ryman healthcare, Princess Alexander retirement (Former Employee) - Napier, Hawke's Bay
The staff were great and supportive. i learnt how to plan my personal cares with my Buddy, time management was prioritised. Some of the work was demanding and stressful at times only due to lack of communication.
Pros
scholarships and great team
Cons
demanding work when you have no support with transfering patients
10 March 2018
Same location
Healthcare Assistant (Former Employee) - Orewa, Auckland
Typical day was always busy and the time goes fast that you won't even noticed. I've learned a lot from there because they also provide training and seminars. Friendly staffs and helpful especially when you are new in the workplace. The hardest part of the job maybe when you are short of staff and you need to work longer than your normal shift. The most enjoyable part of the job, when you finished your work and everything is all done, happy and satisfied and ready again for the next morning.
Pros
Offered training and seminars
Cons
Sometimes shorts of staff to work for the next shift.
  1. Terrible bullying culture