Ryman Healthcare
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Ryman Healthcare Employee Reviews

3.3Work–Life Balance

Good place for bullies. Managers at head office are terrible. Newbie managers at site

Worked with ryman for 3 plus years and resigned now. The travel nurse job was fun. Did that for two years even though no pay for travel day/ shifting day. Seen most of the country. Working long term in one place is a nightmare in most of the villages because of the culture of this place. No respect for nurses. If you know the language of money, then this place is for you. Managers are new and cannot say no to head office managers- meaning they will push all those terrible job to nurses and care givers.

Pros

Free fruit a day. Good pay

Cons

Terrible mangers. Terrible headoffice

Committed to kindness, excellence, innovation and people!

I really enjoy working at Ryman. I feel as a company we've been able to achieve the holy grail of being kind and caring people that are absolutely focused on delivering the very best service to our residents, their families and our team mates. It's all summed up by the very simple phrase, it's got to be good enough for mum, or dad.

Pros

Great team mates, sense of purpose, excellent training

Cons

High workload

Stressful and not great training

I was only at Ryman Healthcare for a month as a Caregiver before I resigned. I hadn't done any sort of Caregiving work before this so I was very new. They were good about it at first but then the pressure gets put on very quickly and I wasn't working as well as I should have been. They have VERY high standards of their staff and for someone as new as me, they expected too much. Most of the staff were pretty helpful but I later learnt that someone had been complaining about how I worked that they removed alot of my shifts to only be working 6 hours a week. The explanation was because my work wasn't up to scratch that some of the staff just simply didn't want me around. They were willing to give me a couple days of more training to keep me around but I was already so upset as I tried my absolute best at this job and was really excited to start. Just really upsetting and it could have been a much better experience.Also the staff there were 90% foreign which was hard to work with sometimes. Hardly any Kiwis

Pros

Good Staff mostly helpful

Cons

Long hours, Not enough pay for the work you do, Foreign Staff Culture

Very supportive and productive environment to work in

The staff were great and supportive. i learnt how to plan my personal cares with my Buddy, time management was prioritised. Some of the work was demanding and stressful at times only due to lack of communication.

Pros

scholarships and great team

Cons

demanding work when you have no support with transfering patients

Toxic workplace culture

I loved my job at Jane Mander because I loved making a difference to the residents lives. However I resigned after six months due to the toxic, bitter attitude from some staff members and a sheer lack of support from management who are in total denial that this goes on. I have since learned that this place is renowned for its toxic workplace culture. Very disappointing.

Pros

Very well maintained, looks very appealing

Cons

Immaculate look doesn't reflect the atmosphere inside which can be toxic

Terrible bullying culture

As a caregiver, they expected far too much from a high school leaver. I was showering vulnerable older people in very tight time frames all by myself. When I asked for some support in an area I wasn't comfortable with (on my first day after my 3 day training), I was told to deal with it or quit. This was particularly bad as I was afraid of hurting a more vulnerable person. The staff training me were bullies, and there was a bizarre culture with one employee yelling in my face when on my first day I put a basket in the wrong part of the laundry. My line manager was very disorganised, and I had no way of finding out when/if I would be rostered one. I attended my first day of work after my training and 2 hours in was told that I wasn't meant to be working that day due to this disorganization. It was a terrible experience, and I know from other people that my experience was not unusual.

Pros

Decent pay, paid lunch break

Cons

Terrible culture, disorganized, bullying

Fun workplace but lacks a lot

All round awesome work environment, the residents are beautiful I love my job but the hardest part about the job is there’s never any communication and the pay rate sucks I wish we were valued more. We are not even at living wage. Rent, food and power/gas are so expensive these days and being on the pay rate I’m at doesn't help me. I’m living fortnight to fortnight. I wish we were heard a lot more with pay rates. Yes pay rate is way above minimum wage but when your living in a city rent is way high. Also if it wasn’t for the residents I would’ve left ages ago.

Pros

Residents and staff

Cons

Pay rate and not being valued enough

Terrible place

I worked really hard for Ryman healthcare. I hold a Bachelor of Nursing. They have a toxic environment. The management barely interact with or help their staff. I loved the residents but I'm so pleased I resigned. My life is so much better without the bullying and toxic environment they provide. Good riddance!

Pros

Resident appreciation

Cons

Ryman Healthcare is toxic and bullying is constant there.

Very enjoyable place to work

The residents are wonderful, and the staff are awesome and so welcoming , I clean the rooms and really enjoy having talks with the elderly residents. I have been out of work for some time but when I started, everyone made me feel very comfortable. I am doing causal/ on call, house keeping is hard work but what makes it easier is the fantastic staff you work with.

Poor Management

I thought that supporting their staff when it comes to education will be a high priority for them since it will help their staff improve the quality of work for the residents but they did not. Expecting high standards from the management for staff. The most enjoyable part of the job is how I interact with my colleagues with minimal stress.

Pros

good staff and environment

Cons

lack of staff and poor management

Jobs at Ryman Healthcare

See more jobs

Amazing

Amazing caring work place . A job that makes you feel like you are making a positive difference in others life’s. Very supportive, friendly community.

Productive and fun workplace

Rymans is a great establishment and sufficiently run business. The Rymans healthcare villages have a fun, happy environment and they are a safe, caring and enjoyable place to be. The staff are cautious and helpful but I feel sometimes the management is abnotuous or intimidating although informative. It is a clean, pleasant place to work.

Pros

Good training

Cons

Staff work load and time tight

nice residents and place, everything great except staff and management bullying

Residents are lovely but the staff and management are very mean and bossy. The most enjoyable part was interacting with the residents and the job was good, good pay. But a lot of workplace bullying and management bringing new silly rules that aren't practical, some staff are quite bossy and rude.

Pros

nice residents, free food

Cons

horrible managment and staff

Beautiful facility and great staff

Their roster was flexible, it provided me enough time to focus on my studies. Great team players, we supported each other to get the job done. Most staff were flexible to swap shifts if required urgently.

Management doesn't want to know unless it benefits them and if you have a problem you must have a solution for it

Residents are very nice staff are lazy don't follow instructions. Management don't care to issues of concern Not all staff but 90 percent do not care have no empathy to the residents they laugh at them pull them have no idea how to lift if communicate with residentsstaff more concerned about available shifts then the care duties

Producive and fun place to work

Though I was working through a temping agency for Ryman Healthcare as a Labourer it was a great experience, on a typical day you be hands-on with different jobs and tasks to do, while being there I've learnt a lot in the 2months from construction, concreting, landscaping, docketing and gatekeeping. The management was strict but also willing to give advice when needed. Every day the teams morale was high so we could work effectively and efficiently. The hardest part of that work was having the confidence to learn new things but it was also an enjoyable part aswell.

excellent company. needs to increase RN salary though.

Worked here for 1.5years as a nurse. It's an excellent company compared to other private aged care facilities. However, salary for nurses are still a bit low. No extra allowance for travelling nurse and travel day is not payed, there's even no hazard pay for travel. Maybe if they try to increase the nurses' salary, they will retain more staff.

A great place to be when before bullies came and hurt alit if stafff and residents

This was a job I lived and breathed for . Such a lovely place to be with such lovely elderly and mostly good staff . That is my one star . They fall down BADLY on mental health of staff who have suffered EXTREME BULLYING . The managers and long term actuvity workers have been the only reason ALOT if staff have left due to their lack of empathy and support . Bullying is STILL rife in this village period.

Pros

Clean tidy workplace

Cons

Terrible pay and a bully culture

face paced, each day was different, lovely people

It was fast paced, interesting and different. I was helping out so was doing a lot of different things that the Manager needed me to do. It was a nice work environment.

Pros

nice work environment

Cons

bit far to travel

Pretty decent

It was OK. I was a general laborer not much to be said. Work lots of hours and meet funny chill people. Work was pretty boring carrying heavy stuff and sweeping stuff up. Stay busy my friends

Pros

chill

Cons

boring

Try to leave

Pay rise but still uneducated, rude, all smile when managers around then gossiping after. Too many meetings by manager. Desperate for a job or no qualification/visa then work here, I plan to leave soon

Pros

Ok uniform

Cons

Bad management, lazy staff who have bad attitude. No chance to promote

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ryman Healthcare. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• Ryman Healthcare
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?