Ryman Healthcare logo
Ryman Healthcare
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Ryman Healthcare Culture reviews

Clear
3.3Work–Life Balance

Good place for bullies. Managers at head office are terrible. Newbie managers at site

Worked with ryman for 3 plus years and resigned now. The travel nurse job was fun. Did that for two years even though no pay for travel day/ shifting day. Seen most of the country. Working long term in one place is a nightmare in most of the villages because of the culture of this place. No respect for nurses. If you know the language of money, then this place is for you. Managers are new and cannot say no to head office managers- meaning they will push all those terrible job to nurses and care givers.

Pros

Free fruit a day. Good pay

Cons

Terrible mangers. Terrible headoffice

Stressful and not great training

I was only at Ryman Healthcare for a month as a Caregiver before I resigned. I hadn't done any sort of Caregiving work before this so I was very new. They were good about it at first but then the pressure gets put on very quickly and I wasn't working as well as I should have been. They have VERY high standards of their staff and for someone as new as me, they expected too much. Most of the staff were pretty helpful but I later learnt that someone had been complaining about how I worked that they removed alot of my shifts to only be working 6 hours a week. The explanation was because my work wasn't up to scratch that some of the staff just simply didn't want me around. They were willing to give me a couple days of more training to keep me around but I was already so upset as I tried my absolute best at this job and was really excited to start. Just really upsetting and it could have been a much better experience.Also the staff there were 90% foreign which was hard to work with sometimes. Hardly any Kiwis

Pros

Good Staff mostly helpful

Cons

Long hours, Not enough pay for the work you do, Foreign Staff Culture

Very supportive and productive environment to work in

The staff were great and supportive. i learnt how to plan my personal cares with my Buddy, time management was prioritised. Some of the work was demanding and stressful at times only due to lack of communication.

Pros

scholarships and great team

Cons

demanding work when you have no support with transfering patients

Terrible bullying culture

As a caregiver, they expected far too much from a high school leaver. I was showering vulnerable older people in very tight time frames all by myself. When I asked for some support in an area I wasn't comfortable with (on my first day after my 3 day training), I was told to deal with it or quit. This was particularly bad as I was afraid of hurting a more vulnerable person. The staff training me were bullies, and there was a bizarre culture with one employee yelling in my face when on my first day I put a basket in the wrong part of the laundry. My line manager was very disorganised, and I had no way of finding out when/if I would be rostered one. I attended my first day of work after my training and 2 hours in was told that I wasn't meant to be working that day due to this disorganization. It was a terrible experience, and I know from other people that my experience was not unusual.

Pros

Decent pay, paid lunch break

Cons

Terrible culture, disorganized, bullying

Poor Management

I thought that supporting their staff when it comes to education will be a high priority for them since it will help their staff improve the quality of work for the residents but they did not. Expecting high standards from the management for staff. The most enjoyable part of the job is how I interact with my colleagues with minimal stress.

Pros

good staff and environment

Cons

lack of staff and poor management

Amazing

Amazing caring work place . A job that makes you feel like you are making a positive difference in others life’s. Very supportive, friendly community.

Beautiful facility and great staff

Their roster was flexible, it provided me enough time to focus on my studies. Great team players, we supported each other to get the job done. Most staff were flexible to swap shifts if required urgently.

A great place to be when before bullies came and hurt alit if stafff and residents

This was a job I lived and breathed for . Such a lovely place to be with such lovely elderly and mostly good staff . That is my one star . They fall down BADLY on mental health of staff who have suffered EXTREME BULLYING . The managers and long term actuvity workers have been the only reason ALOT if staff have left due to their lack of empathy and support . Bullying is STILL rife in this village period.

Pros

Clean tidy workplace

Cons

Terrible pay and a bully culture

Rewarding place to work

Ryman Healthcare was more like a family than a work place. OI enjoyed being there for the staff, visitors and residents. There was a good work life balance. I learned alot about different cultures as they employed people from all over the world. The management were very supportive.

Productive and nice atmosphere to work.

Typical day was always busy and the time goes fast that you won't even noticed. I've learned a lot from there because they also provide training and seminars. Friendly staffs and helpful especially when you are new in the workplace. The hardest part of the job maybe when you are short of staff and you need to work longer than your normal shift. The most enjoyable part of the job, when you finished your work and everything is all done, happy and satisfied and ready again for the next morning.

Pros

Offered training and seminars

Cons

Sometimes shorts of staff to work for the next shift.

Jobs at Ryman Healthcare

See more jobs

fun work place

this was my first REAL job and learnt so much. great work environment with awesome staff. residents were all so lovely and you feel at home. would love to work there again

Average workplace

The job is very physically demanding and stressful but the most enjoyable part is serving the elderly people. Hardest part of the job is the bullying you get from co-workers and sometimes from the management.

Cons

Workplace bullying

enjoyed the work

enjoyed helping the resisdents to enjoy there day more to be the best they could be co workers were surported hardest part of job was the demands put on by short staffing

productive, fun workplace, great people

Ryman Healthcare is a great company to work for. great people and great atmosphere. loving and caring. It is a lot of work for a job that doesn't pay much for the work and love they give towards patients and others