Silver Fern Farms Employee Reviews

Horrible company to work for
Labourer (Current Employee) –  Waitotara, Taranaki24 September 2019
Have worked in the meat industry for 32yrs for different company's.and I find working for silver ferns farms the most unpleasant experience I have had .the do not care about there workers at all!!
Pros
Nill
Cons
Treated like dirt
Hardwork
Meat Processor (Current Employee) –  Hawera, Taranaki31 August 2019
It is hardwork and maybe not the top 3 dream job/lifestyle of choice but it does pay the bills. If I was 20 years younger, yes...very ideal. 7/10
Get treated with no respect
Shed Hand (Current Employee) –  Pareora26 July 2019
Being in the sheep yards you get treated like rubbish no respect from the supervisors they don’t seem to care about you rather seem happy for the plant manager

Would rather sit in his office and do nothing should be out there helping the guys with animals expects ya to know everything and if ya do one slight thing he will be against you and treat you like the enemy

The yards needs complete overhaul and nothing is right for our safety
Pros
Going home after a shift
Cons
Going to work for the idiot
Great work place for anyone and everyone
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Takapau6 May 2019
I worked here for almost two years and it was fantastic. I started on day shift but eventually got put on too night shift. I started off working on the digi and eventually worked my way around the room learning lots of different areas from packing to learning my knives.I was then allowed to be transferred to the slaughter board where I learnt more roles. The hardest part of the job was leaving amazing bosses and great people.
Pros
Multi Cultural
Cons
Seasonal
Productive and a fun place to work
Meat factory worker (Former Employee) –  Clutha District, Otago26 March 2019
Tough work at a continuous pace but once you get stuck in and know your fellow colleagues you'll have a great time. They provide the adequate training required to carry out the job.
Worst place to work
Worker (Former Employee) –  New Zealand11 February 2019
Silver fern is a absolute dive worst place I've ever worked the bosses are hypocrites workers are brown noses the pay is way less then what you deserve. Work your heart out 5 days a week and struggle to make over $420 a week. Once you end up on acc for a workplace accident they will find any way possible to get rid of you
Best part about that place is the ones in the whites.
Knife hand (Former Employee) –  Te Aroha, Waikato14 January 2019
This is a good place for teens to start out as I did helps you grow up, you make really good mates and get the best pay you'll ever get at 16 years old. High up Management could use some work on communication skills and how to treat their works though but other then that its a good place to work.
Pros
Make good mates, get good money
Cons
The bullying from management
Family atmosphere
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Balclutha, Otago3 October 2018
The day starts early and the work is intense, but the pay rewards are good, for those who work hard at it. More training opportunities available for those who wish to go for them.
Lamb Secondary Butchery had a family atmosphere and everyone is welcoming and helpful to new people. Nothing is more rewarding than seeing someone achieve the results and rewards they are after.
Finding enough work to get through the downtime in the off season is the hardest part, but there are opportunities at other processing plants to help with this.
Pros
Good pay, great workmates
Cons
Early starts
fun
Packer (Former Employee) –  Takapau26 August 2018
Personally it was fun working here, because i knew alot of people that work here. Also had the chance to be able to work with my partner which was really cool. I learnt so many new skills and was able to work fast while doing my jobs.
Pros
Money
Cons
Long off seasons
Overall excellent
Meat works (Former Employee) –  Matamata-Piako District, Waikato20 August 2018
The job was an overall excellent job, it also has great hours, with an overall great team to work with just like they are your family, its a great experince lots of new skills to learn and a place to grow your experince to the maximum
Pros
Meat deals, sundae barbarque
Cons
There wasnt anyting
Good team environment
Beef Bonner (Former Employee) –  Te Aroha, Waikato2 July 2018
I worked at silver fern farms for 2 years and it was choice my life was on track but since i left things don't feel the same miss working with my colleagues
Cons
Good money
Great co-workers
General Hand (Former Employee) –  Hawera, Taranaki12 June 2018
The company is okay to work for the workers are great and help each other as much as possible. They supply all your clothing, knives,and any other equipment required
Pros
Provide training
Cons
Being seasonal and when stock is short there can be no work or short days
Fun and productive
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Te Aroha West7 March 2018
Love cutting meat working in a team and the use of sharp knives and learng about the different cuts of meat that I was working with very hard but fun job to have
If you want good job they the ones
Butcher (Former Employee) –  PAREORA NEW ZEALAND19 February 2018
It's easy to hard work team players different nations
Get full training from Management
Health n safety
They are fair if you are sick.
YOU need to learn always on a good contract
Pros
You have half hr lunch breaks 15 mins breaks for smoko
Cons
5 mins breaks .
The most enjoyable part of the job
Meat Processor, A Grade Slaughter-man (Former Employee) –  Waitoa, Waikato25 January 2018
The most enjoyable part to this job is seeing productivity for the company and having the chance to see the success of your hard work and that you are a part of a huge team all trying to achieve the same goal.

Work hard, go home, enjoy the friendships along the way
Pros
good money
Cons
long hours bending over
work life in the industry
Silver Fern Farms Ltd (Current Employee) –  Pareora7 January 2018
My day would start off fine, but with breakdowns with machinery or people, the day would turn on itself, In the industry it definitely makes you understand the work ethics that goes on behind closed doors, how the management work with the workers, to try work out certain situations that may arise. There is a lot of multi-culture workers in our work force, and we all work together well, respect each others ways and religions.
I would say the hardest part of the job initially would be having to train someone to do a job, in the area that you work in and keep in a clean well looked after station, get slowly messed up and then the whole station your at is a total mess...!!
But then, the most enjoyable part of my job, is when you see that person whom you've been training, starts to get it, and able to work the station, and keep it clean at the same time, now that's a pretty proud moment :)
Pros
Free Hot water, parking and a BBQ at breakup... REALLY!!
Cons
Not enough parking, no coffee tea or sugar provided for morning or afternoon tea, breaks are very limited, If there are to many breakdowns, you dont get paid full contract, just minimin pay.
Great Pay but Repetitive work
Process Worker (Former Employee) –  Balclutha, Otago3 January 2018
A typical day will have you on a production line doing the same thing over and over again, however there is the option to move up in the workplace and gain experience and qualifications. Staff is a mixed bag, you'll get along with some and others not so much but you'll rarely talk because you'll work independently 90% of the time anyway. You are prone to getting a repetitive strain injury as the work is physical, they have a medical staff on hand and encourage micro pauses.
Pros
Seasonal
Cons
Repetitive work
Culture and comradeship
Slaughterman Beef (Current Employee) –  Hawera, Taranaki14 December 2017
A work place like no other, I started work as a boy, three months later I was one of the team of men slaughtering. As you work up the pay grades D to C to B to A you work harder in faster, its a make or break environment some break some just stay on C grade or the easy B grades, but the hardest workers become legends...and earn top money. Management take there job seriously some can be militant, but it's a good union company relationship. Seniorority ensures a culture of respect and the step up to the task culture, though it can lead to issues with guys getting easier high grade jobs, it instills a sense of respect for long time employees union or management.
Pros
Money and mates
Cons
Short days due to plant location and a rival meatworks 18km away
Fun
A grader (Former Employee) –  Hawera, Taranaki27 November 2017
A typical day here consists of fun laughter and heavy workload, often misunderstanding with other collegues but swiftly dealt with by supervisors and team leaders.
Pros
fit and fun
Cons
insuffecient hours
Loacted in Dunedin, Otago
Quality System Administrator (Current Employee) –  Dunedin City, Otago14 November 2017
Enjoy my role in the Food Quality, Environment and Assurance group at Silver Fern Farms. I will be finishing my role in December 2017 as we relocated our family to Invercargill in November 2017 and unfortunately I am not able to do my role remotely.