Silver Fern Farms Employee Reviews

fun
Packer (Former Employee) –  Takapau26 August 2018
Personally it was fun working here, because i knew alot of people that work here. Also had the chance to be able to work with my partner which was really cool. I learnt so many new skills and was able to work fast while doing my jobs.
Pros
Money
Cons
Long off seasons
Overall excellent
Meat works (Former Employee) –  Matamata-Piako District, Waikato20 August 2018
The job was an overall excellent job, it also has great hours, with an overall great team to work with just like they are your family, its a great experince lots of new skills to learn and a place to grow your experince to the maximum
Pros
Meat deals, sundae barbarque
Cons
There wasnt anyting
Stable work conditions - productive company
Primary Butchery Manager (Former Employee) –  Fairton, Canterbury1 August 2018
Have been previously with Silver Fern Farms for over 40 years - worked my way up from slaughterman to Foremen. Run the chain at Fairton to be one of the top plants. Had over 300 employees to oversee. All management requirements held to make sure that this plant meet all the quality assured requirements. My aim was to be a fair boss to everyone. If you earn the respect of the employees they will respect you back. Also was very aware that working as a team with management to make sure the plant run to the highest levels was most important.
Good team environment
Beef Bonner (Former Employee) –  Te Aroha, Waikato2 July 2018
I worked at silver fern farms for 2 years and it was choice my life was on track but since i left things don't feel the same miss working with my colleagues
Cons
Good money
Great co-workers
General Hand (Former Employee) –  Hawera, Taranaki12 June 2018
The company is okay to work for the workers are great and help each other as much as possible. They supply all your clothing, knives,and any other equipment required
Pros
Provide training
Cons
Being seasonal and when stock is short there can be no work or short days
Fun and productive
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Te Aroha West7 March 2018
Love cutting meat working in a team and the use of sharp knives and learng about the different cuts of meat that I was working with very hard but fun job to have
If you want good job they the ones
Butcher (Former Employee) –  PAREORA NEW ZEALAND19 February 2018
It's easy to hard work team players different nations
Get full training from Management
Health n safety
They are fair if you are sick.
YOU need to learn always on a good contract
Pros
You have half hr lunch breaks 15 mins breaks for smoko
Cons
5 mins breaks .
The most enjoyable part of the job
Meat Processor, A Grade Slaughter-man (Former Employee) –  Waitoa, Waikato25 January 2018
The most enjoyable part to this job is seeing productivity for the company and having the chance to see the success of your hard work and that you are a part of a huge team all trying to achieve the same goal.

Work hard, go home, enjoy the friendships along the way
Pros
good money
Cons
long hours bending over
work life in the industry
Silver Fern Farms Ltd (Current Employee) –  Pareora7 January 2018
My day would start off fine, but with breakdowns with machinery or people, the day would turn on itself, In the industry it definitely makes you understand the work ethics that goes on behind closed doors, how the management work with the workers, to try work out certain situations that may arise. There is a lot of multi-culture workers in our work force, and we all work together well, respect each others ways and religions.
I would say the hardest part of the job initially would be having to train someone to do a job, in the area that you work in and keep in a clean well looked after station, get slowly messed up and then the whole station your at is a total mess...!!
But then, the most enjoyable part of my job, is when you see that person whom you've been training, starts to get it, and able to work the station, and keep it clean at the same time, now that's a pretty proud moment :)
Pros
Free Hot water, parking and a BBQ at breakup... REALLY!!
Cons
Not enough parking, no coffee tea or sugar provided for morning or afternoon tea, breaks are very limited, If there are to many breakdowns, you dont get paid full contract, just minimin pay.
Great Pay but Repetitive work
Process Worker (Former Employee) –  Balclutha, Otago3 January 2018
A typical day will have you on a production line doing the same thing over and over again, however there is the option to move up in the workplace and gain experience and qualifications. Staff is a mixed bag, you'll get along with some and others not so much but you'll rarely talk because you'll work independently 90% of the time anyway. You are prone to getting a repetitive strain injury as the work is physical, they have a medical staff on hand and encourage micro pauses.
Pros
Seasonal
Cons
Repetitive work
Culture and comradeship
Slaughterman Beef (Current Employee) –  Hawera, Taranaki14 December 2017
A work place like no other, I started work as a boy, three months later I was one of the team of men slaughtering. As you work up the pay grades D to C to B to A you work harder in faster, its a make or break environment some break some just stay on C grade or the easy B grades, but the hardest workers become legends...and earn top money. Management take there job seriously some can be militant, but it's a good union company relationship. Seniorority ensures a culture of respect and the step up to the task culture, though it can lead to issues with guys getting easier high grade jobs, it instills a sense of respect for long time employees union or management.
Pros
Money and mates
Cons
Short days due to plant location and a rival meatworks 18km away
Fun
A grader (Former Employee) –  Hawera, Taranaki27 November 2017
A typical day here consists of fun laughter and heavy workload, often misunderstanding with other collegues but swiftly dealt with by supervisors and team leaders.
Pros
fit and fun
Cons
insuffecient hours
Loacted in Dunedin, Otago
Quality System Administrator (Current Employee) –  Dunedin City, Otago14 November 2017
Enjoy my role in the Food Quality, Environment and Assurance group at Silver Fern Farms. I will be finishing my role in December 2017 as we relocated our family to Invercargill in November 2017 and unfortunately I am not able to do my role remotely.
Productive workplace
Quality Assessor (Current Employee) –  Takapau13 November 2017
Our positions require us to verify the processes to ensure food safety at all times. When we are able to identify issues within the workplace that could hinder safety then having a negative impact on the productivity we bring this to the attention of higher management. so that we can determine where the sets back are and put in place solutions to boost qualtiy and productivity.
Pros
Customer feedback
Cons
bad attitudes from all staff across the board
great job if you love hard work.
Meat Processor (Former Employee) –  Hawera, Taranaki8 November 2017
SFF is great for the hard working people, I enjoyed the work vibe and early mornings that came with it. SFF motivated me to work as hard as i can to be as good at my job. Would recommend to people that love hard work.
Great employees
Butcher (Former Employee) –  Belfast, Canterbury16 October 2017
I voluntarily resigned based on dismissal due absenteeism. I tried to argue my case the fact that I was unfairly disciplined and unfairly dismissed, i worked there for almost 9years I’m a hard worker and just had a bad year this year. In 2015 I decided to organise a biggest loser at work to bring together workers and keep them healthy and happy so that Love coming to work. I love working for this company and wish I had my job back to prove that I have learnt from this experience.
Pros
Great employees
Cons
Management, unfair treatment, no communications.
Multi culture workplace in food industry
Trimmer and Boning (Current Employee) –  pareora2 October 2017
multi culture work place. Busy days at work no time wasting and physical work. Management is up to standard and great team to work with learned a lot from company about produce of fresh meats and different culture preferences. Health and Safety is a number one goal for them.
Pros
Cons
long hours not definite about future work days and hours
Productive and fun workplace
Lambcuts meat packer (Former Employee) –  Fairton, Canterbury19 July 2017
teamplayer, fun workplace, can do atitudes,
Supervisors are all good, workmate are good, try to manage product on time no avoid delays the most enjoyable part is when the tick on the last minute it's means home time and looking forward on the following day
Busy production line very fast paced and always changing,
Further Processing Scheduler (Former Employee) –  Fairton, Canterbury10 July 2017
As production scheduler I was always extremely busy and under considerable stress. There was always support available. I enjoyed this fast environment and there was never a dull time,
Pros
Days went very quickly
Cons
High pressure and focused work place
fun place to work
Process Worker (Former Employee) –  Ashburton, Canterbury25 June 2017
it was a fun and good work environment where i learnt life skills with a knife the most enjoyable part of the job was the people i worked with hardest part was learning all the cuts management was not to bad to deal with
Pros
cheep meat
Cons
seasonal work