Silver Fern Farms
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews
Silver Fern Farms Employee Review

Productive work place, good people to work with, great place to be

18 October 2020
I like to get to work early to sharpen tools, and to micro pause when I can and to see where I am on te manning sheet, learned lots while working here, first aid, phec certificates, emergency response team (ert), knife handling skills, health and safety (rep), first aid responder and more, management team they have now are way more professional then the last lot, which is a big help. Work place culture on te late shift is sweet as for me, you just need to adapt and mingle in where you can you’ll be fine! Hard part working here? Keeping knife razor sharp, but when you crack that job is super easy! Best part about working here? The job, the people, the experience, mates looking out for mates!
Pros
Management’s easy to talk to, open door policy
Cons
Some long hours...
23 November 2016
Same location
Meat Processor (Former Employee) - Dargaville, Northland
Worked hard with good people. Learnt heaps good training.I enjoyed the challenges everyday. Hardest part of job was learning the harder jobs and getting speed. good place to work.
Pros
cheap meat
Cons
short days
22 March 2015
Same location
Meat Processor (Former Employee) - Dargaville, N
I felt very drawn to my co-workers whilst employed at Silver Fern Farms gaining a life long friendship with many, my management team always insured the employees needs where met and always made sure we could rely on our management team. The hardest part of the job was waking up early hours of the morning having to be on the floor at 6:15 am sharp. Also the strain it takes on your body, I found places that didn't even know existed hurt on my body, which at times where inconvenient , because it prevented me from doing certain jobs, overall it was a good run.
Pros
early start rest of the day off
Cons
long hours, straining of muscles
20 September 2020
Freezer Worker (Current Employee) - Te Aroha, Waikato
Silverfern Farms has the potential to be a great company to work for. Unfortunately, stagnant middle management won't allow the company to move forward or train keen people to move up.There is a toxic departmental favoritism from upper management. There is a ranking type system on how "important" you are based on your years of service.This dosnt always take precidence on what you can do as "suitability" is the card they play to put you in a position to balance out a shift with relevant experience.Its not all bad, the individual teams have a comrade mentality. We are doing this together etc. Have shared lunches and help each other outside of work.If silverfern farms offered more in the way of helping pathway towards a career working for them and listen to others ideas .it could be a great place to work and ultamately attract better, younger workers.
Pros
Work mates
Cons
No career prospects
  1. Productive work place, good people to work with, great place to be