Silver Fern Farms
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews
Silver Fern Farms Employee Review

very productive & cultural diversified

13 November 2014
At Silver Fern Farms, hygiene and safety is a high priority of all workers. Company policies for food safety is a must follow. It is a great learning experience of working within a meat industry. It is hard to keep up with rules and regulations. It is hard to be responsible for the safety of others when performing the job. I enjoy working with a team of more than 100 people.
Cons
long travelling everyday & transport problems
3 October 2018
Supervisor (Current Employee) - Balclutha, Otago
The day starts early and the work is intense, but the pay rewards are good, for those who work hard at it. More training opportunities available for those who wish to go for them. Lamb Secondary Butchery had a family atmosphere and everyone is welcoming and helpful to new people. Nothing is more rewarding than seeing someone achieve the results and rewards they are after. Finding enough work to get through the downtime in the off season is the hardest part, but there are opportunities at other processing plants to help with this.
Pros
Good pay, great workmates
Cons
Early starts
3 January 2018
Process Worker (Former Employee) - Balclutha, Otago
A typical day will have you on a production line doing the same thing over and over again, however there is the option to move up in the workplace and gain experience and qualifications. Staff is a mixed bag, you'll get along with some and others not so much but you'll rarely talk because you'll work independently 90% of the time anyway. You are prone to getting a repetitive strain injury as the work is physical, they have a medical staff on hand and encourage micro pauses.
Pros
Seasonal
Cons
Repetitive work
14 July 2015
Packer (Former Employee) - Balclutha, S
I enjoyed working at Silver Fern Farm because I got to meet my family members from the Island.I wanted to see if I could handle hard work and I did.Everything is possible if I put my whole heart in it.The manager was encouraging the workers to work hard,earn more.The hardest part is,the coldness and the enjoyable part is packing the meats it was fun.
Pros
No free lunch
Cons
Good hours