Silver Fern Farms
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Silver Fern Farms Employee Reviews

3.6Work–Life Balance

challenging

I wasn't too sure of which department I was going to be working in the 2 years that I worked doing bobbies.When doing the hides self taught .Self taught in the hides and when I was doing the joints most of the time the cutter broke down and it was hands on.

Not a fun place

Constantly short staffed. Moved around all the time.same production targets regardless of how many people are absent. Poor supervisors and management.

Pros

Home time

Cons

Treated like dirt and a slave

Awesome fun, if you're doing it for a season.

Wonderful place to work at met alot of people and had encouragement throughout the whole time I had worked there. Made many mistakes, and all mistakes were addressed by the management team! They definitely aimed for perfection. Which is good.

Pros

Free lunch sometimes when season ends, and bonuses.

Cons

Long hours, long bus trips.

Good people to work with employees

Employees were great to work with. Supervisors a few of them were bullies and got away with it. Alot of people have quit this season due to being treated badly. No respect for the workers .

Cons

Fun place to work ♥️ supervisor's are very friendly and so encouraging

I love working in this place me and my family's are moving back to Auckland but I never forget this company's if I we ever move back to matamata I will definitely go back to work it fun working there and the job are easy supervisor 's are so friendly and so helpful when I needed help love you SILVER FERNS

Pros

No free lunch which is ok

Cons

Wages are very good aspecially whe it comes to the little Cows hhhh i had a fat pay check hhh

fun place that takes care of its employees

my time at silver fern farms was great, it was a whole different situation to what i'm used to and it was fun working with lots of different people from different cultures

Pros

everyone is fun to talk to. alot of cultures

Cons

some of the work can get pretty hard

Productive work place, good people to work with, great place to be

I like to get to work early to sharpen tools, and to micro pause when I can and to see where I am on te manning sheet, learned lots while working here, first aid, phec certificates, emergency response team (ert), knife handling skills, health and safety (rep), first aid responder and more, management team they have now are way more professional then the last lot, which is a big help. Work place culture on te late shift is sweet as for me, you just need to adapt and mingle in where you can you’ll be fine! Hard part working here? Keeping knife razor sharp, but when you crack that job is super easy! Best part about working here? The job, the people, the experience, mates looking out for mates!

Pros

Management’s easy to talk to, open door policy

Cons

Some long hours...

No career pprospects

Silverfern Farms has the potential to be a great company to work for. Unfortunately, stagnant middle management won't allow the company to move forward or train keen people to move up.There is a toxic departmental favoritism from upper management. There is a ranking type system on how "important" you are based on your years of service.This dosnt always take precidence on what you can do as "suitability" is the card they play to put you in a position to balance out a shift with relevant experience.Its not all bad, the individual teams have a comrade mentality. We are doing this together etc. Have shared lunches and help each other outside of work.If silverfern farms offered more in the way of helping pathway towards a career working for them and listen to others ideas .it could be a great place to work and ultamately attract better, younger workers.

Pros

Work mates

Cons

No career prospects

Great place to work.

It was awesome place to work learnt so much. Have a great sense of community and very supportive. It was supposed to be a in between job for me but I loved it so much I didn’t want to leave.

fun workplace

Personally the pay is extremely good you wouldn't get pay like that from most work place, it's worth all the hard work and you get to make a lot of cool friends that could become life time friends.

Hard but fair

Over all a good company to work for and if you put in the effort there are a lot of rewards in getting to a higher level with the company, the effort you put in does not go unnoticed, so if you were looking at working for the company i would recommend its high in standards for the well been and safety of all workers across the board and it does that by a full follow up and reports on any near miss or any accidents which show how they can help or look to improve in any areas across the plant to make sure there workers arrive and get home safe which i think is a company moving forward with the times at a high standard and i put that down to good management.

Pros

Staff sales, training

Cons

nil

quite productive

Very smooth job. From start to finish, you would not feel the time. 9hours and it felt like working 5hours. positive team and environment. Quite a massive company with multi cultured people.

Horrible company to work for

Have worked in the meat industry for 32yrs for different company's.and I find working for silver ferns farms the most unpleasant experience I have had .the do not care about there workers at all!!

Pros

Nill

Cons

Treated like dirt

Hardwork

It is hardwork and maybe not the top 3 dream job/lifestyle of choice but it does pay the bills. If I was 20 years younger, yes...very ideal. 7/10

Get treated with no respect

Being in the sheep yards you get treated like rubbish no respect from the supervisors they don’t seem to care about you rather seem happy for the plant manager Would rather sit in his office and do nothing should be out there helping the guys with animals expects ya to know everything and if ya do one slight thing he will be against you and treat you like the enemy The yards needs complete overhaul and nothing is right for our safety

Pros

Going home after a shift

Cons

Going to work for the idiot

Great work place for anyone and everyone

I worked here for almost two years and it was fantastic. I started on day shift but eventually got put on too night shift. I started off working on the digi and eventually worked my way around the room learning lots of different areas from packing to learning my knives.I was then allowed to be transferred to the slaughter board where I learnt more roles. The hardest part of the job was leaving amazing bosses and great people.

Pros

Multi Cultural

Cons

Seasonal

Great student job

Great workplace for being a student between university study. Perfect hours and opportunity for overtime and good pay.

Productive and a fun place to work

Tough work at a continuous pace but once you get stuck in and know your fellow colleagues you'll have a great time. They provide the adequate training required to carry out the job.

Worst place to work

Silver fern is a absolute dive worst place I've ever worked the bosses are hypocrites workers are brown noses the pay is way less then what you deserve. Work your heart out 5 days a week and struggle to make over $420 a week. Once you end up on acc for a workplace accident they will find any way possible to get rid of you

Best part about that place is the ones in the whites.

This is a good place for teens to start out as I did helps you grow up, you make really good mates and get the best pay you'll ever get at 16 years old. High up Management could use some work on communication skills and how to treat their works though but other then that its a good place to work.

Pros

Make good mates, get good money

Cons

The bullying from management

Family atmosphere

The day starts early and the work is intense, but the pay rewards are good, for those who work hard at it. More training opportunities available for those who wish to go for them. Lamb Secondary Butchery had a family atmosphere and everyone is welcoming and helpful to new people. Nothing is more rewarding than seeing someone achieve the results and rewards they are after. Finding enough work to get through the downtime in the off season is the hardest part, but there are opportunities at other processing plants to help with this.

Pros

Good pay, great workmates

Cons

Early starts

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Silver Fern Farms. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• Silver Fern Farms