Silver Fern Farms
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Silver Fern Farms Employee Reviews

I wasn't too sure of which department I was going to be working in the 2 years that I worked doing bobbies.When doing the hides self taught .Self taught in the hides and when I was doing the joints most of the time the cutter broke down and it was hands on.
I like to get to work early to sharpen tools, and to micro pause when I can and to see where I am on te manning sheet, learned lots while working here, first aid, phec certificates, emergency response team (ert), knife handling skills, health and safety (rep), first aid responder and more, management team they have now are way more professional then the last lot, which is a big help. Work place culture on te late shift is sweet as for me, you just need to adapt and mingle in where you can you’ll be fine! Hard part working here? Keeping knife razor sharp, but when you crack that job is super easy! Best part about working here? The job, the people, the experience, mates looking out for mates!
Pros
Management’s easy to talk to, open door policy
Cons
Some long hours...
It was awesome place to work learnt so much. Have a great sense of community and very supportive.
It was supposed to be a in between job for me but I loved it so much I didn’t want to leave.
Personally the pay is extremely good you wouldn't get pay like that from most work place, it's worth all the hard work and you get to make a lot of cool friends that could become life time friends.
Over all a good company to work for and if you put in the effort there are a lot of rewards in getting to a higher level with the company, the effort you put in does not go unnoticed, so if you were looking at working for the company i would recommend its high in standards for the well been and safety of all workers across the board and it does that by a full follow up and reports on any near miss or any accidents which show how they can help or look to improve in any areas across the plant to make sure there workers arrive and get home safe which i think is a company moving forward with the times at a high standard and i put that down to good management.
Pros
Staff sales, training
Cons
nil
Very smooth job. From start to finish, you would not feel the time. 9hours and it felt like working 5hours. positive team and environment. Quite a massive company with multi cultured people.
Have worked in the meat industry for 32yrs for different company's.and I find working for silver ferns farms the most unpleasant experience I have had .the do not care about there workers at all!!
Pros
Nill
Cons
Treated like dirt
It is hardwork and maybe not the top 3 dream job/lifestyle of choice but it does pay the bills. If I was 20 years younger, yes...very ideal. 7/10
Being in the sheep yards you get treated like rubbish no respect from the supervisors they don’t seem to care about you rather seem happy for the plant manager

Would rather sit in his office and do nothing should be out there helping the guys with animals expects ya to know everything and if ya do one slight thing he will be against you and treat you like the enemy

The yards needs complete overhaul and nothing is right for our safety
Pros
Going home after a shift
Cons
Going to work for the idiot
I worked here for almost two years and it was fantastic. I started on day shift but eventually got put on too night shift. I started off working on the digi and eventually worked my way around the room learning lots of different areas from packing to learning my knives.I was then allowed to be transferred to the slaughter board where I learnt more roles. The hardest part of the job was leaving amazing bosses and great people.
Pros
Multi Cultural
Cons
Seasonal
Great workplace for being a student between university study. Perfect hours and opportunity for overtime and good pay.
Tough work at a continuous pace but once you get stuck in and know your fellow colleagues you'll have a great time. They provide the adequate training required to carry out the job.
Silver fern is a absolute dive worst place I've ever worked the bosses are hypocrites workers are brown noses the pay is way less then what you deserve. Work your heart out 5 days a week and struggle to make over $420 a week. Once you end up on acc for a workplace accident they will find any way possible to get rid of you
This is a good place for teens to start out as I did helps you grow up, you make really good mates and get the best pay you'll ever get at 16 years old. High up Management could use some work on communication skills and how to treat their works though but other then that its a good place to work.
Pros
Make good mates, get good money
Cons
The bullying from management
The day starts early and the work is intense, but the pay rewards are good, for those who work hard at it. More training opportunities available for those who wish to go for them.
Lamb Secondary Butchery had a family atmosphere and everyone is welcoming and helpful to new people. Nothing is more rewarding than seeing someone achieve the results and rewards they are after.

Finding enough work to get through the downtime in the off season is the hardest part, but there are opportunities at other processing plants to help with this.
Pros
Good pay, great workmates
Cons
Early starts
Personally it was fun working here, because i knew alot of people that work here. Also had the chance to be able to work with my partner which was really cool. I learnt so many new skills and was able to work fast while doing my jobs.
Pros
Money
Cons
Long off seasons
The job was an overall excellent job, it also has great hours, with an overall great team to work with just like they are your family, its a great experince lots of new skills to learn and a place to grow your experince to the maximum
Pros
Meat deals, sundae barbarque
Cons
There wasnt anyting
I worked at silver fern farms for 2 years and it was choice my life was on track but since i left things don't feel the same miss working with my colleagues
Cons
Good money
The company is okay to work for the workers are great and help each other as much as possible. They supply all your clothing, knives,and any other equipment required
Pros
Provide training
Cons
Being seasonal and when stock is short there can be no work or short days
El ambiente de trabajo con los otros profesores era muy bueno pero no me sentía valorada como profesional. importaba más lo que los padres querían que la programación que tenía que llevar a cabo.
Love cutting meat working in a team and the use of sharp knives and learng about the different cuts of meat that I was working with very hard but fun job to have