Silver Fern Farms Employee Reviews in Balclutha, Otago

Great Pay but Repetitive work
Process Worker (Former Employee) –  Balclutha, Otago3 January 2018
A typical day will have you on a production line doing the same thing over and over again, however there is the option to move up in the workplace and gain experience and qualifications. Staff is a mixed bag, you'll get along with some and others not so much but you'll rarely talk because you'll work independently 90% of the time anyway. You are prone to getting a repetitive strain injury as the work is physical, they have a medical staff on hand and encourage micro pauses.
Pros
Seasonal
Cons
Repetitive work
Working with my own people
Packer (Former Employee) –  Balclutha, S14 July 2015
I enjoyed working at Silver Fern Farm because I got to meet my family members from the Island.I wanted to see if I could handle hard work and I did.Everything is possible if I put my whole heart in it.The manager was encouraging the workers to work hard,earn more.The hardest part is,the coldness and the enjoyable part is packing the meats it was fun.
Pros
No free lunch
Cons
Good hours
Family like
Packer/Trimmer (Former Employee) –  Balclutha26 June 2015
Pre-operation
Organize cartons and labels for the shift
Organize the re-work area with necessary gear

A typical day for me is check for chilled leakers and re-bag or re-box if needed, reprinting of foss cartons, organize workers to triton machines. Help out co-workers where needed.
Take meat products back to origin to be re-worked or re-packed.

Lamb cuts night shift an excellent place to work it has a family feeling to the factory, the company and management encourages personal growth and development through review and progress reports.
Pros
Good renumeration
Cons
Night shift hours
Fun place to work
Packing (Former Employee) –  Balclutha, S28 May 2015
Working at Finegand has been the excited. You get to meet a lot of new friendly people. You know what kind of meat you pack and its 100% fresh.
Excellent work environment
Freezing Worker (Current Employee) –  Balclutha, S2 February 2015
Excellent team environment. Good honest work. The harder you work the better the opportunities. I absolutely love this job due to the fact that its physically challenging and your working with good, honest, hard working folks.
Pros
Excellent work environment with no stress.
Cons
Seasonal work
very productive & cultural diversified
Detain worker on Slaughter Board.. (Former Employee) –  Finnegan Balclutha13 November 2014
At Silver Fern Farms, hygiene and safety is a high priority of all workers. Company policies for food safety is a must follow. It is a great learning experience of working within a meat industry. It is hard to keep up with rules and regulations. It is hard to be responsible for the safety of others when performing the job. I enjoy working with a team of more than 100 people.
Cons
long travelling everyday & transport problems
It is a fun place to work
Lambcut (Former Employee) –  Balclutha,Otago9 October 2013
It has a very high standard of health and safety.Good environment and a better working condition.