Silver Fern Farms

Silver Fern Farms Employee Reviews in Balclutha, Otago

Balclutha, Otago9 reviews

3.6Work–Life Balance

Family atmosphere

The day starts early and the work is intense, but the pay rewards are good, for those who work hard at it. More training opportunities available for those who wish to go for them. Lamb Secondary Butchery had a family atmosphere and everyone is welcoming and helpful to new people. Nothing is more rewarding than seeing someone achieve the results and rewards they are after. Finding enough work to get through the downtime in the off season is the hardest part, but there are opportunities at other processing plants to help with this.

Pros

Good pay, great workmates

Cons

Early starts

Awesome fun, if you're doing it for a season.

Wonderful place to work at met alot of people and had encouragement throughout the whole time I had worked there. Made many mistakes, and all mistakes were addressed by the management team! They definitely aimed for perfection. Which is good.

Pros

Free lunch sometimes when season ends, and bonuses.

Cons

Long hours, long bus trips.

Great Pay but Repetitive work

A typical day will have you on a production line doing the same thing over and over again, however there is the option to move up in the workplace and gain experience and qualifications. Staff is a mixed bag, you'll get along with some and others not so much but you'll rarely talk because you'll work independently 90% of the time anyway. You are prone to getting a repetitive strain injury as the work is physical, they have a medical staff on hand and encourage micro pauses.

Pros

Seasonal

Cons

Repetitive work

Working with my own people

I enjoyed working at Silver Fern Farm because I got to meet my family members from the Island.I wanted to see if I could handle hard work and I did.Everything is possible if I put my whole heart in it.The manager was encouraging the workers to work hard,earn more.The hardest part is,the coldness and the enjoyable part is packing the meats it was fun.

Pros

No free lunch

Cons

Good hours

Family like

Pre-operation Organize cartons and labels for the shift Organize the re-work area with necessary gear A typical day for me is check for chilled leakers and re-bag or re-box if needed, reprinting of foss cartons, organize workers to triton machines. Help out co-workers where needed. Take meat products back to origin to be re-worked or re-packed. Lamb cuts night shift an excellent place to work it has a family feeling to the factory, the company and management encourages personal growth and development through review and progress reports.

Pros

Good renumeration

Cons

Night shift hours

Fun place to work

Working at Finegand has been the excited. You get to meet a lot of new friendly people. You know what kind of meat you pack and its 100% fresh.

Excellent work environment

Excellent team environment. Good honest work. The harder you work the better the opportunities. I absolutely love this job due to the fact that its physically challenging and your working with good, honest, hard working folks.

Pros

Excellent work environment with no stress.

Cons

Seasonal work

very productive & cultural diversified

At Silver Fern Farms, hygiene and safety is a high priority of all workers. Company policies for food safety is a must follow. It is a great learning experience of working within a meat industry. It is hard to keep up with rules and regulations. It is hard to be responsible for the safety of others when performing the job. I enjoy working with a team of more than 100 people.

Cons

long travelling everyday & transport problems

It is a fun place to work

It has a very high standard of health and safety.Good environment and a better working condition.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Silver Fern Farms. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• Silver Fern Farms
  • Balclutha, Otago
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?