Silver Fern Farms Employee Reviews in Hawera, Taranaki

Great co-workers
General Hand (Former Employee) –  Hawera, Taranaki12 June 2018
The company is okay to work for the workers are great and help each other as much as possible. They supply all your clothing, knives,and any other equipment required
Pros
Provide training
Cons
Being seasonal and when stock is short there can be no work or short days
Culture and comradeship
Slaughterman Beef (Current Employee) –  Hawera, Taranaki14 December 2017
A work place like no other, I started work as a boy, three months later I was one of the team of men slaughtering. As you work up the pay grades D to C to B to A you work harder in faster, its a make or break environment some break some just stay on C grade or the easy B grades, but the hardest workers become legends...and earn top money. Management take there job seriously some can be militant, but it's a good union company relationship. Seniorority ensures a culture of respect and the step up to the task culture, though it can lead to issues with guys getting easier high grade jobs, it instills a sense of respect for long time employees union or management.
Pros
Money and mates
Cons
Short days due to plant location and a rival meatworks 18km away
Fun
A grader (Former Employee) –  Hawera, Taranaki27 November 2017
A typical day here consists of fun laughter and heavy workload, often misunderstanding with other collegues but swiftly dealt with by supervisors and team leaders.
Pros
fit and fun
Cons
insuffecient hours
great job if you love hard work.
Meat Processor (Former Employee) –  Hawera, Taranaki8 November 2017
SFF is great for the hard working people, I enjoyed the work vibe and early mornings that came with it. SFF motivated me to work as hard as i can to be as good at my job. Would recommend to people that love hard work.
productive and fun work place
Packer/trimmer (Former Employee) –  Hawera, Taranaki2 February 2017
good work environment , you get to meet a lot of new people aswell as learn some very valuable skills to take with you in life
Fun and easy
Meat Paker (Former Employee) –  Hawera, N6 December 2015
People are great to get on with when you are feeling tired and bored of doing the same thing over and over.
Supervisors give good clear instructions.
Pros
Cheap pies
awsome place
rack room handler (Former Employee) –  Hawera, N23 September 2015
love the hours and the people at that meat work plant and the boss is cool az and hes my daughters god father an my best friend since primary school an all my mates work there too
Pros
shoutted lunch an t
Cons
seasonal
Productive and energetic workplace
Knife Hand, Primary Butchery (Former Employee) –  Hawera12 August 2015
a typical day would procure a plethora of great fun, tied in with a hard working environment that produced a great atmosphere, but one where work got done quickly and efficiently.
Pros
workmates and managent.
Enjoyable workplace
meat processor (Former Employee) –  Hawera,Taranaki4 August 2015
A typical day at work was really enjoyable some days and not so enjoyable others being such a repetitive job day in and day out.
working in a place like the meat works to get to know your fellow workers really well and they end up becoming like family members to you.
Pros
almost family like enviroment
Cons
long hours sometimes
its a fun workplace and loved the people
knife handler (Former Employee) –  hawera taranaki new zealand9 February 2015
the work there was great i learned alot in the meat works the management wea great the co workers were good to work with and good to be around there were no hard part about this job as everyone were always there to help
Pros
free work gears and lunch once a week
Cons
always double shiffs if you wanted
Very production focused
Rumper (Former Employee) –  Hawera29 November 2014
A typical day was early morning rise for the early start. You prepared your knives and any other equipment that was required. The supervisor was very strict but that was ok and the co-workers were great. We all would help each other out when required no questions asked. The hardest part of any day would be if your knives or equipment weren't performing at there best but when everything went smoothly it was most enjoyable
Pros
Could purchase bulk meat
Cons
Can be hard on the body
Okay job.
Hygiene Operator (Former Employee) –  Hawera, N4 August 2013
I did somewhat enjoy my time at Ecowize, I learned a lot from working as a Hygiene Operator and was a good learning experience.
The hardest part of the job was picking up the slack from absent employees.
Cons
Over worked, under paid
Good Company
Seasonal Worker (Current Employee) –  Hawera, N4 August 2013
I enjoy working for Silver Fern Farms, Management are good as they look after their employees and are very helpful with duties that I wasn't confident with at the beginning of my employment. Working with co-workers and making new friends is the most enjoyable part of my job.
Pros
Good wages
productive, busy and safe work place
ph Operator/packer (Former Employee) –  Hawera Taranaki16 July 2012
It's always a busy day at work,, and I learned how to work safely and communicate well with New Zealanders, that work is not all about money but it's the good working relationship that matters as well. Management is good and very supportive to all workers, my fellow workers are very friendly. The most hardest part of the job for me there was carrying and lifting all throughout the day but the most enjoyable part of my job was when we work all together with team work, it makes easier for each one of us.
Pros
free drinks such as coffee, chocolates and tea
Cons
short hours