Silver Fern Farms

Silver Fern Farms Employee Reviews in Pareora

Pareora10 reviews

3.6Work–Life Balance

work life in the industry

My day would start off fine, but with breakdowns with machinery or people, the day would turn on itself, In the industry it definitely makes you understand the work ethics that goes on behind closed doors, how the management work with the workers, to try work out certain situations that may arise. There is a lot of multi-culture workers in our work force, and we all work together well, respect each others ways and religions. I would say the hardest part of the job initially would be having to train someone to do a job, in the area that you work in and keep in a clean well looked after station, get slowly messed up and then the whole station your at is a total mess...!! But then, the most enjoyable part of my job, is when you see that person whom you've been training, starts to get it, and able to work the station, and keep it clean at the same time, now that's a pretty proud moment :)

Pros

Free Hot water, parking and a BBQ at breakup... REALLY!!

Cons

Not enough parking, no coffee tea or sugar provided for morning or afternoon tea, breaks are very limited, If there are to many breakdowns, you dont get paid full contract, just minimin pay.

S*it place

Management couldn't run a p*ss up at a brewery, or even a decant bbq. Worked in 40c conditions on the slaughterboard during covid, they waited for several people to pass out before sending us home over the 4 day heatwave, still at least 35 most days of summer. Didn't give us masks for the first months of covid or social distancing and we had no working air con, 1 buck soda too expensive for the company bbq... Overworked like **** and treated like dogs by management who didn't do ****. Got sick from their disgusting unfiltered water fountains with water I wouldn't give to my dog and then pressure you like **** to come in sick then give you a written warning and try to suspend you when you do come in sick, and then dont let you progress to a decent job, and advance all the new night shift staff to those jobs after night shift finishes because its easier... They dont give a **** about your mental wellbeing and will fire you over trying to deal with it rather than try and help you through it. Would rather clean toilets than work there again...

Get treated with no respect

Being in the sheep yards you get treated like rubbish no respect from the supervisors they don’t seem to care about you rather seem happy for the plant manager Would rather sit in his office and do nothing should be out there helping the guys with animals expects ya to know everything and if ya do one slight thing he will be against you and treat you like the enemy The yards needs complete overhaul and nothing is right for our safety

Pros

Going home after a shift

Cons

Going to work for the idiot

If you want good job they the ones

It's easy to hard work team players different nations Get full training from Management Health n safety They are fair if you are sick. YOU need to learn always on a good contract

Pros

You have half hr lunch breaks 15 mins breaks for smoko

Cons

5 mins breaks .

Multi culture workplace in food industry

multi culture work place. Busy days at work no time wasting and physical work. Management is up to standard and great team to work with learned a lot from company about produce of fresh meats and different culture preferences. Health and Safety is a number one goal for them.

Pros

Cons

long hours not definite about future work days and hours

Never trust the management

To quote someone else's review of the same plant, "The lamb cuts boning room has been waiting to update its contract for over 10 years. The contract has been open for negotiation since 2012, but the company doesn't care and is losing its best workers to the competition." Everything the reviewer stated was accurate and is still ongoing. If you're to work for Silver Fern Farms, ensure you write down every day, duty, and clean up you do and cross reference it with your pay cheque each week because they will screw you every and any chance they get. Ancient machinery constant breaks down because the company hasn't put any money into maintenance for years. Derelict buildings on site or unusable freezer space because of lack maintenance. Working in the secondary butchery is like going back in time by 60 years. Machines are repurposed to do a job they were not really built for. Promises of new boning room have been given to workers for over a decade. Working at Silver Fern Farms was a real eye opener as to how management can destroy the morale of the workers and being aware that if they want to change something it looking for the long con and try to see how you're getting screwed. Never give the management an inch even if it seemed reasonable at the time because they will take a whole yard and you won't get it back. Any written and verbal agreements made by the company can be thrown out at will with no recourse because the Unions don't have the money or resources to battle the company. Silver Fern Farms closely monitors Talleys like a little brother who tries to emulate -

Pros

Gateway to another job such as Alliance, SPC or Fonterra

Cons

Overbearing, mistrustful management who always seem to be disorganised.

Great working environment

Get in to work at 3:00pm, get gear on, sharpen knives and ready on the chain at 3:30 sharp. Get 2 30min smokos and chain stop 12:00 normal night. Learned a lot of knife skills during my time, lamb and mutton boning shoulders, legs, loins etc. Learned how to enjoy working with close mates whilst also maintaining quality product/getting job done quickly. Management are good, know when to relax but also know when to kick you into line. Co-workers are like a family, good talk and productive in team environment. Hardest part of the job is the first month. Everything feels difficult as you are new, and have to adjust to the new working environment (body also hurts if you're not used to the intensity). Most enjoyable part of the job is the chillers, easy job and good break from the chain if you're sore.

Pros

Good workout, make good friends

Cons

Strain on body, seasonal

Factory work can only challenge you for so long.

The lamb cuts boning room has been waiting to update its contract for over 10 years. The contract has been open for negotiation since 2012, but the company doesn't care and is losing its best workers to the competition. I would say that the management is overworked and given impossible targets from the company that refuses to update the facilities or even replace outdated machinery. The workers are a great lot who have put up with too much from the management. I enjoy work that challenges me and for a time learning the jobs in the factory pushed me but now I know most of them I find myself getting bored easily. What I will take away most from working at Silver Fern Farms is to be wary the perception of management. Little things can snowball affecting the culture and staff happiness.

Pros

reasonable pay

Cons

Factory work can only challenge you for so long.

Consistant and fun

Very hard working place with hard working people. Was good to have stable employment. Season did not last long enough and seniority is abit of a pain

Pros

Meeting new people

Cons

Short season

Seasonal

All year round work would be great. Seasonal work only which is not good when you are budgeting for one. and i think its all

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Silver Fern Farms. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• Silver Fern Farms
  • Pareora
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?