Silver Fern Farms

Silver Fern Farms Employee Reviews for Laborer

Laborer7 reviews
New Zealand7 reviews

3.6Work–Life Balance

Physically demanding, Seasonal work, limited responsibilty.

* a salary coming in * Physically demanding * Generally good supervision & support * opportunity for limited responsibility (chemical room, inducting new broomies).

Pros

* kept me fit; a salary; interesting work colleagues.

Cons

Low pay; manual work.

S*it place

Management couldn't run a p*ss up at a brewery, or even a decant bbq. Worked in 40c conditions on the slaughterboard during covid, they waited for several people to pass out before sending us home over the 4 day heatwave, still at least 35 most days of summer. Didn't give us masks for the first months of covid or social distancing and we had no working air con, 1 buck soda too expensive for the company bbq... Overworked like **** and treated like dogs by management who didn't do ****. Got sick from their disgusting unfiltered water fountains with water I wouldn't give to my dog and then pressure you like **** to come in sick then give you a written warning and try to suspend you when you do come in sick, and then dont let you progress to a decent job, and advance all the new night shift staff to those jobs after night shift finishes because its easier... They dont give a **** about your mental wellbeing and will fire you over trying to deal with it rather than try and help you through it. Would rather clean toilets than work there again...

Not a fun place

Constantly short staffed. Moved around all the time.same production targets regardless of how many people are absent. Poor supervisors and management.

Pros

Home time

Cons

Treated like dirt and a slave

Horrible company to work for

Have worked in the meat industry for 32yrs for different company's.and I find working for silver ferns farms the most unpleasant experience I have had .the do not care about there workers at all!!

Pros

Nill

Cons

Treated like dirt

Great work place for anyone and everyone

I worked here for almost two years and it was fantastic. I started on day shift but eventually got put on too night shift. I started off working on the digi and eventually worked my way around the room learning lots of different areas from packing to learning my knives.I was then allowed to be transferred to the slaughter board where I learnt more roles. The hardest part of the job was leaving amazing bosses and great people.

Pros

Multi Cultural

Cons

Seasonal

Good working environment

An excellent place to work. I was very fortunate to have worked there. The people I worked with were friendly, I learned some good time management skills here. The hardest part of the job was probably correcting others mistakes due to not concentrating but we got there in the end. Supervisors and staff Management were excellent.

Pros

good bosses

Cons

seasonal work, not permanent

Working at Silver Ferns.

My day would start at 4:30pm and finish at around 3:30am. I learnt that a factory must at all times be kept to a certain standard for health and safety reasons,also paper work is very important for tracing anything that may pop up in the future (papertrail). Time management was important as many things ran on timelines. I enjoyed setting my self standards above previous employees and pushing my limits as i was the only one in my area. I also liked working within a wide range of people all with different beliefs,cultures and backrounds etc.

Pros

total responsibilitie for the work i put out

Cons

long hours - 12 hour shifts

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Silver Fern Farms. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Silver Fern Farms Reviews by Location