Silver Fern Farms
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Silver Fern Farms Culture reviews

Very smooth job. From start to finish, you would not feel the time. 9hours and it felt like working 5hours. positive team and environment. Quite a massive company with multi cultured people.
my time at silver fern farms was great, it was a whole different situation to what i'm used to and it was fun working with lots of different people from different cultures
Pros
everyone is fun to talk to. alot of cultures
Cons
some of the work can get pretty hard
I like to get to work early to sharpen tools, and to micro pause when I can and to see where I am on te manning sheet, learned lots while working here, first aid, phec certificates, emergency response team (ert), knife handling skills, health and safety (rep), first aid responder and more, management team they have now are way more professional then the last lot, which is a big help. Work place culture on te late shift is sweet as for me, you just need to adapt and mingle in where you can you’ll be fine! Hard part working here? Keeping knife razor sharp, but when you crack that job is super easy! Best part about working here? The job, the people, the experience, mates looking out for mates!
Pros
Management’s easy to talk to, open door policy
Cons
Some long hours...
It was awesome place to work learnt so much. Have a great sense of community and very supportive. It was supposed to be a in between job for me but I loved it so much I didn’t want to leave.
The day starts early and the work is intense, but the pay rewards are good, for those who work hard at it. More training opportunities available for those who wish to go for them. Lamb Secondary Butchery had a family atmosphere and everyone is welcoming and helpful to new people. Nothing is more rewarding than seeing someone achieve the results and rewards they are after. Finding enough work to get through the downtime in the off season is the hardest part, but there are opportunities at other processing plants to help with this.
Pros
Good pay, great workmates
Cons
Early starts
The job was an overall excellent job, it also has great hours, with an overall great team to work with just like they are your family, its a great experince lots of new skills to learn and a place to grow your experince to the maximum
Pros
Meat deals, sundae barbarque
Cons
There wasnt anyting
The most enjoyable part to this job is seeing productivity for the company and having the chance to see the success of your hard work and that you are a part of a huge team all trying to achieve the same goal. Work hard, go home, enjoy the friendships along the way
Pros
good money
Cons
long hours bending over
My day would start off fine, but with breakdowns with machinery or people, the day would turn on itself, In the industry it definitely makes you understand the work ethics that goes on behind closed doors, how the management work with the workers, to try work out certain situations that may arise. There is a lot of multi-culture workers in our work force, and we all work together well, respect each others ways and religions. I would say the hardest part of the job initially would be having to train someone to do a job, in the area that you work in and keep in a clean well looked after station, get slowly messed up and then the whole station your at is a total mess...!! But then, the most enjoyable part of my job, is when you see that person whom you've been training, starts to get it, and able to work the station, and keep it clean at the same time, now that's a pretty proud moment :)
Pros
Free Hot water, parking and a BBQ at breakup... REALLY!!
Cons
Not enough parking, no coffee tea or sugar provided for morning or afternoon tea, breaks are very limited, If there are to many breakdowns, you dont get paid full contract, just minimin pay.
A work place like no other, I started work as a boy, three months later I was one of the team of men slaughtering. As you work up the pay grades D to C to B to A you work harder in faster, its a make or break environment some break some just stay on C grade or the easy B grades, but the hardest workers become legends...and earn top money. Management take there job seriously some can be militant, but it's a good union company relationship. Seniorority ensures a culture of respect and the step up to the task culture, though it can lead to issues with guys getting easier high grade jobs, it instills a sense of respect for long time employees union or management.
Pros
Money and mates
Cons
Short days due to plant location and a rival meatworks 18km away
A typical day here consists of fun laughter and heavy workload, often misunderstanding with other collegues but swiftly dealt with by supervisors and team leaders.
Pros
fit and fun
Cons
insuffecient hours
Enjoy my role in the Food Quality, Environment and Assurance group at Silver Fern Farms. I will be finishing my role in December 2017 as we relocated our family to Invercargill in November 2017 and unfortunately I am not able to do my role remotely.
SFF is great for the hard working people, I enjoyed the work vibe and early mornings that came with it. SFF motivated me to work as hard as i can to be as good at my job. Would recommend to people that love hard work.
multi culture work place. Busy days at work no time wasting and physical work. Management is up to standard and great team to work with learned a lot from company about produce of fresh meats and different culture preferences. Health and Safety is a number one goal for them.
Pros
Cons
long hours not definite about future work days and hours
it was a fun and good work environment where i learnt life skills with a knife the most enjoyable part of the job was the people i worked with hardest part was learning all the cuts management was not to bad to deal with
Pros
cheep meat
Cons
seasonal work
very repetitive work, bad work culture but most of the people you work with are friendly, and there is a wide range of people, good for a short period of time
Pros
Cons
evrything
I would definitely work here again, enjoyed gaining new skills surrounding Union Delegate. I was part of a team that gained the highest yield count in the history of night shift while working there. great people.
Pros
easy money. good culture. good training.
Cons
not many oportunities career wise
A typical day at work is hard work, into as soon as you get there, i learnt how to herd a big group of calves into one pen and also learnt how manage the calves better, management was very helpful and awesome.Was having to listen so many different types of supervisors and people. Enjoyable part was working with others that would help you and enjoy working with you.
Pros
Shared Lunches
Cons
Long Hours
My review on silver ferns takapau is great. i learnt how to trim and handle meat i learnt how to sharpen and look after gear. i worked with great people and got paid really well. Typical day would be sharping knifes cleaning gear and gumboots applying the right work gear. keeping your work area clean. Most enjoyable part would be working with a great team. Hardest part would be keeping my knifes sharp
Pros
Fresh cooked lunch & dinner
Cons
Short breaks
High standard place to work for especially when it comes to hygiene and making sure everything is done to a T. Loved every minute working at this place highly recommended..
A typical day at work is really rushful, what i have learnt, how to work as a team and also as a individual, the management is well maintained, co workers are friendly. The hardest part about the job is having to listen to different supervisors, the most enjoyable part of the job is working with others and learning different skills
Pros
Co-Workers
Cons
The lamb cuts boning room has been waiting to update its contract for over 10 years. The contract has been open for negotiation since 2012, but the company doesn't care and is losing its best workers to the competition. I would say that the management is overworked and given impossible targets from the company that refuses to update the facilities or even replace outdated machinery. The workers are a great lot who have put up with too much from the management. I enjoy work that challenges me and for a time learning the jobs in the factory pushed me but now I know most of them I find myself getting bored easily. What I will take away most from working at Silver Fern Farms is to be wary the perception of management. Little things can snowball affecting the culture and staff happiness.
Pros
reasonable pay
Cons
Factory work can only challenge you for so long.