Silver Fern Farms
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Silver Fern Farms Job Security & Advancement reviews

I wasn't too sure of which department I was going to be working in the 2 years that I worked doing bobbies.When doing the hides self taught .Self taught in the hides and when I was doing the joints most of the time the cutter broke down and it was hands on.
Silverfern Farms has the potential to be a great company to work for. Unfortunately, stagnant middle management won't allow the company to move forward or train keen people to move up.There is a toxic departmental favoritism from upper management. There is a ranking type system on how "important" you are based on your years of service.This dosnt always take precidence on what you can do as "suitability" is the card they play to put you in a position to balance out a shift with relevant experience.Its not all bad, the individual teams have a comrade mentality. We are doing this together etc. Have shared lunches and help each other outside of work.If silverfern farms offered more in the way of helping pathway towards a career working for them and listen to others ideas .it could be a great place to work and ultamately attract better, younger workers.
Pros
Work mates
Cons
No career prospects
Have worked in the meat industry for 32yrs for different company's.and I find working for silver ferns farms the most unpleasant experience I have had .the do not care about there workers at all!!
Pros
Nill
Cons
Treated like dirt
It is hardwork and maybe not the top 3 dream job/lifestyle of choice but it does pay the bills. If I was 20 years younger, yes...very ideal. 7/10
I worked here for almost two years and it was fantastic. I started on day shift but eventually got put on too night shift. I started off working on the digi and eventually worked my way around the room learning lots of different areas from packing to learning my knives.I was then allowed to be transferred to the slaughter board where I learnt more roles. The hardest part of the job was leaving amazing bosses and great people.
Pros
Multi Cultural
Cons
Seasonal
The job was an overall excellent job, it also has great hours, with an overall great team to work with just like they are your family, its a great experince lots of new skills to learn and a place to grow your experince to the maximum
Pros
Meat deals, sundae barbarque
Cons
There wasnt anyting
I voluntarily resigned based on dismissal due absenteeism. I tried to argue my case the fact that I was unfairly disciplined and unfairly dismissed, i worked there for almost 9years I’m a hard worker and just had a bad year this year. In 2015 I decided to organise a biggest loser at work to bring together workers and keep them healthy and happy so that Love coming to work. I love working for this company and wish I had my job back to prove that I have learnt from this experience.
Pros
Great employees
Cons
Management, unfair treatment, no communications.
I would definitely work here again, enjoyed gaining new skills surrounding Union Delegate. I was part of a team that gained the highest yield count in the history of night shift while working there. great people.
Pros
easy money. good culture. good training.
Cons
not many oportunities career wise
Silver Fern farms is a great learning experience as you meet a lot of different people each with unique talents which they share with you. Hardest part of the job is keeping up when you first start and keeping your knife sharp at all times.
Pros
Learning great skills
Cons
I really enjoyed working with silver fern farms, I liked the strictness. I learned quite a lot from the time I was there. The management and team work was also really good
good work environment , you get to meet a lot of new people aswell as learn some very valuable skills to take with you in life
Good working there loving meeting new people loved new gained throughout past work experience I like to try to new jobs I am looking to secure a challenging new role where transferable skills, knowleage and expertise gained experience
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
The one think that I enjoyed about working for this company is the opportunities of learning new skills and meeting new people
Excellent team environment. Good honest work. The harder you work the better the opportunities. I absolutely love this job due to the fact that its physically challenging and your working with good, honest, hard working folks.
Pros
Excellent work environment with no stress.
Cons
Seasonal work