Silver Fern Farms Management reviews

Get treated with no respect
Shed Hand (Current Employee) –  Pareora26 July 2019
Being in the sheep yards you get treated like rubbish no respect from the supervisors they don’t seem to care about you rather seem happy for the plant manager

Would rather sit in his office and do nothing should be out there helping the guys with animals expects ya to know everything and if ya do one slight thing he will be against you and treat you like the enemy

The yards needs complete overhaul and nothing is right for our safety
Pros
Going home after a shift
Cons
Going to work for the idiot
Worst place to work
Worker (Former Employee) –  New Zealand11 February 2019
Silver fern is a absolute dive worst place I've ever worked the bosses are hypocrites workers are brown noses the pay is way less then what you deserve. Work your heart out 5 days a week and struggle to make over $420 a week. Once you end up on acc for a workplace accident they will find any way possible to get rid of you
If you want good job they the ones
Butcher (Former Employee) –  PAREORA NEW ZEALAND19 February 2018
It's easy to hard work team players different nations
Get full training from Management
Health n safety
They are fair if you are sick.
YOU need to learn always on a good contract
Pros
You have half hr lunch breaks 15 mins breaks for smoko
Cons
5 mins breaks .
work life in the industry
Silver Fern Farms Ltd (Current Employee) –  Pareora7 January 2018
My day would start off fine, but with breakdowns with machinery or people, the day would turn on itself, In the industry it definitely makes you understand the work ethics that goes on behind closed doors, how the management work with the workers, to try work out certain situations that may arise. There is a lot of multi-culture workers in our work force, and we all work together well, respect each others ways and religions.
I would say the hardest part of the job initially would be having to train someone to do a job, in the area that you work in and keep in a clean well looked after station, get slowly messed up and then the whole station your at is a total mess...!!
But then, the most enjoyable part of my job, is when you see that person whom you've been training, starts to get it, and able to work the station, and keep it clean at the same time, now that's a pretty proud moment :)
Pros
Free Hot water, parking and a BBQ at breakup... REALLY!!
Cons
Not enough parking, no coffee tea or sugar provided for morning or afternoon tea, breaks are very limited, If there are to many breakdowns, you dont get paid full contract, just minimin pay.
Culture and comradeship
Slaughterman Beef (Current Employee) –  Hawera, Taranaki14 December 2017
A work place like no other, I started work as a boy, three months later I was one of the team of men slaughtering. As you work up the pay grades D to C to B to A you work harder in faster, its a make or break environment some break some just stay on C grade or the easy B grades, but the hardest workers become legends...and earn top money. Management take there job seriously some can be militant, but it's a good union company relationship. Seniorority ensures a culture of respect and the step up to the task culture, though it can lead to issues with guys getting easier high grade jobs, it instills a sense of respect for long time employees union or management.
Pros
Money and mates
Cons
Short days due to plant location and a rival meatworks 18km away
Productive workplace
Quality Assessor (Current Employee) –  Takapau13 November 2017
Our positions require us to verify the processes to ensure food safety at all times. When we are able to identify issues within the workplace that could hinder safety then having a negative impact on the productivity we bring this to the attention of higher management. so that we can determine where the sets back are and put in place solutions to boost qualtiy and productivity.
Pros
Customer feedback
Cons
bad attitudes from all staff across the board
Great employees
Butcher (Former Employee) –  Belfast, Canterbury16 October 2017
I voluntarily resigned based on dismissal due absenteeism. I tried to argue my case the fact that I was unfairly disciplined and unfairly dismissed, i worked there for almost 9years I’m a hard worker and just had a bad year this year. In 2015 I decided to organise a biggest loser at work to bring together workers and keep them healthy and happy so that Love coming to work. I love working for this company and wish I had my job back to prove that I have learnt from this experience.
Pros
Great employees
Cons
Management, unfair treatment, no communications.
Multi culture workplace in food industry
Trimmer and Boning (Current Employee) –  pareora2 October 2017
multi culture work place. Busy days at work no time wasting and physical work. Management is up to standard and great team to work with learned a lot from company about produce of fresh meats and different culture preferences. Health and Safety is a number one goal for them.
Pros
Cons
long hours not definite about future work days and hours
fun place to work
Process Worker (Former Employee) –  Ashburton, Canterbury25 June 2017
it was a fun and good work environment where i learnt life skills with a knife the most enjoyable part of the job was the people i worked with hardest part was learning all the cuts management was not to bad to deal with
Pros
cheep meat
Cons
seasonal work
Good
Scanner (Former Employee) –  Waitotara, Taranaki30 March 2017
I really enjoyed working with silver fern farms, I liked the strictness. I learned quite a lot from the time I was there. The management and team work was also really good
Shepherd, Packer (Former Employee) –  Waitoa, Waikato23 March 2017
A typical day at work is hard work, into as soon as you get there, i learnt how to herd a big group of calves into one pen and also learnt how manage the calves better, management was very helpful and awesome.Was having to listen so many different types of supervisors and people. Enjoyable part was working with others that would help you and enjoy working with you.
Pros
Shared Lunches
Cons
Long Hours
Never trust the management
Yard pool - Boning room, freezers, export offal (Former Employee) –  Pareora19 August 2016
To quote someone else's review of the same plant, "The lamb cuts boning room has been waiting to update its contract for over 10 years. The contract has been open for negotiation since 2012, but the company doesn't care and is losing its best workers to the competition."

Everything the reviewer stated was accurate and is still ongoing. If you're to work for Silver Fern Farms, ensure you write down every day, duty, and clean up you do and cross reference it with your pay cheque each week because they will screw you every and any chance they get.

Ancient machinery constant breaks down because the company hasn't put any money into maintenance for years. Derelict buildings on site or unusable freezer space because of lack maintenance. Working in the secondary butchery is like going back in time by 60 years. Machines are repurposed to do a job they were not really built for. Promises of new boning room have been given to workers for over a decade.

Working at Silver Fern Farms was a real eye opener as to how management can destroy the morale of the workers and being aware that if they want to change something it looking for the long con and try to see how you're getting screwed.

Never give the management an inch even if it seemed reasonable at the time because they will take a whole yard and you won't get it back. Any written and verbal agreements made by the company can be thrown out at will with no recourse because the Unions don't have the money or resources to battle the company.

Silver Fern Farms closely monitors Talleys like a little brother who tries to emulate
  more... their idol as the latter company screws over their workers. The company is secretive so you never know where you stand, and their delaying tactics on contracts is masterful.

For the most part, you workmates are good, the management is overbearing, the days will drag once you become accustomed to the work, the pay can be okay during certain times of the year. Prepare to work six days a week for the majority of the year for a probable week off at Christmas [this is not guaranteed though happens more often than not] and a four-week break in the middle of winter as your off season. You will develop an RSI so inform them as soon as possible otherwise you will get no support.
Pros
Gateway to another job such as Alliance, SPC or Fonterra
Cons
Overbearing, mistrustful management who always seem to be disorganised.
Packer (Former Employee) –  Waikato District, Waikato20 April 2016
A typical day at work is really rushful, what i have learnt, how to work as a team and also as a individual, the management is well maintained, co workers are friendly. The hardest part about the job is having to listen to different supervisors, the most enjoyable part of the job is working with others and learning different skills
Pros
Co-Workers
Great working environment
Knife Hand (Current Employee) –  Pareora2 March 2016
Get in to work at 3:00pm, get gear on, sharpen knives and ready on the chain at 3:30 sharp. Get 2 30min smokos and chain stop 12:00 normal night. Learned a lot of knife skills during my time, lamb and mutton boning shoulders, legs, loins etc. Learned how to enjoy working with close mates whilst also maintaining quality product/getting job done quickly. Management are good, know when to relax but also know when to kick you into line. Co-workers are like a family, good talk and productive in team environment. Hardest part of the job is the first month. Everything feels difficult as you are new, and have to adjust to the new working environment (body also hurts if you're not used to the intensity). Most enjoyable part of the job is the chillers, easy job and good break from the chain if you're sore.
Pros
Good workout, make good friends
Cons
Strain on body, seasonal
Factory work can only challenge you for so long.
Yard Pool (Current Employee) –  Pareora4 November 2015

I would say that the management is overworked and given impossible targets from the company that refuses to update the facilities or even replace outdated machinery.

The workers are a great lot who have put up with too much from the management.

I enjoy work that challenges me and for a time learning the jobs in the factory pushed me but now I know most of them I find myself getting bored easily.

What I will take away most from working at Silver Fern Farms is to be wary the perception of management. Little things can snowball affecting the culture and staff happiness.
Pros
reasonable pay
Cons
Factory work can only challenge you for so long.
productive;
Process Worker (Former Employee) –  Clyde st Silverstream Dunedin23 July 2015
it being so long ago since i worked there, and knowing that 90%of management and co-workers even plant and rooms I worked in are now closed, It be unfair I feel to make comment.
Family like
Packer/Trimmer (Former Employee) –  Balclutha26 June 2015
Pre-operation
Organize cartons and labels for the shift
Organize the re-work area with necessary gear

A typical day for me is check for chilled leakers and re-bag or re-box if needed, reprinting of foss cartons, organize workers to triton machines. Help out co-workers where needed.
Take meat products back to origin to be re-worked or re-packed.

Lamb cuts night shift an excellent place to work it has a family feeling to the factory, the company and management encourages personal growth and development through review and progress reports.
Pros
Good renumeration
Cons
Night shift hours
Working
Knife hand (Current Employee) –  Waitotara21 May 2015
Management are understanding, work colleagues are great, work environment is awesome, work/ life balance is great, work great hours and are able to spend time with family also.
Pros
Great work days and staff
Cons
Unreliable hours as work is seasonal
cultral orientated
Meat Processor (Former Employee) –  Dargaville, N22 March 2015
I felt very drawn to my co-workers whilst employed at Silver Fern Farms gaining a life long friendship with many, my management team always insured the employees needs where met and always made sure we could rely on our management team.

The hardest part of the job was waking up early hours of the morning having to be on the floor at 6:15 am sharp. Also the strain it takes on your body, I found places that didn't even know existed hurt on my body, which at times where inconvenient , because it prevented me from doing certain jobs, overall it was a good run.
Pros
early start rest of the day off
Cons
long hours, straining of muscles
its a fun workplace and loved the people
knife handler (Former Employee) –  hawera taranaki new zealand9 February 2015
the work there was great i learned alot in the meat works the management wea great the co workers were good to work with and good to be around there were no hard part about this job as everyone were always there to help
Pros
free work gears and lunch once a week
Cons
always double shiffs if you wanted