Silver Fern Farms
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Silver Fern Farms Employee Reviews

New Zealand104 reviews
I wasn't too sure of which department I was going to be working in the 2 years that I worked doing bobbies.When doing the hides self taught .Self taught in the hides and when I was doing the joints most of the time the cutter broke down and it was hands on.
A typical day will have you on a production line doing the same thing over and over again, however there is the option to move up in the workplace and gain experience and qualifications. Staff is a mixed bag, you'll get along with some and others not so much but you'll rarely talk because you'll work independently 90% of the time anyway. You are prone to getting a repetitive strain injury as the work is physical, they have a medical staff on hand and encourage micro pauses.
Pros
Seasonal
Cons
Repetitive work
A work place like no other, I started work as a boy, three months later I was one of the team of men slaughtering. As you work up the pay grades D to C to B to A you work harder in faster, its a make or break environment some break some just stay on C grade or the easy B grades, but the hardest workers become legends...and earn top money. Management take there job seriously some can be militant, but it's a good union company relationship. Seniorority ensures a culture of respect and the step up to the task culture, though it can lead to issues with guys getting easier high grade jobs, it instills a sense of respect for long time employees union or management.
Pros
Money and mates
Cons
Short days due to plant location and a rival meatworks 18km away
A typical day here consists of fun laughter and heavy workload, often misunderstanding with other collegues but swiftly dealt with by supervisors and team leaders.
Pros
fit and fun
Cons
insuffecient hours
Enjoy my role in the Food Quality, Environment and Assurance group at Silver Fern Farms. I will be finishing my role in December 2017 as we relocated our family to Invercargill in November 2017 and unfortunately I am not able to do my role remotely.
Our positions require us to verify the processes to ensure food safety at all times. When we are able to identify issues within the workplace that could hinder safety then having a negative impact on the productivity we bring this to the attention of higher management. so that we can determine where the sets back are and put in place solutions to boost qualtiy and productivity.
Pros
Customer feedback
Cons
bad attitudes from all staff across the board
SFF is great for the hard working people, I enjoyed the work vibe and early mornings that came with it. SFF motivated me to work as hard as i can to be as good at my job. Would recommend to people that love hard work.
I voluntarily resigned based on dismissal due absenteeism. I tried to argue my case the fact that I was unfairly disciplined and unfairly dismissed, i worked there for almost 9years I’m a hard worker and just had a bad year this year. In 2015 I decided to organise a biggest loser at work to bring together workers and keep them healthy and happy so that Love coming to work. I love working for this company and wish I had my job back to prove that I have learnt from this experience.
Pros
Great employees
Cons
Management, unfair treatment, no communications.
multi culture work place. Busy days at work no time wasting and physical work. Management is up to standard and great team to work with learned a lot from company about produce of fresh meats and different culture preferences. Health and Safety is a number one goal for them.
Pros
Cons
long hours not definite about future work days and hours
teamplayer, fun workplace, can do atitudes,
Supervisors are all good, workmate are good, try to manage product on time no avoid delays the most enjoyable part is when the tick on the last minute it's means home time and looking forward on the following day
As production scheduler I was always extremely busy and under considerable stress. There was always support available. I enjoyed this fast environment and there was never a dull time,
Pros
Days went very quickly
Cons
High pressure and focused work place
it was a fun and good work environment where i learnt life skills with a knife the most enjoyable part of the job was the people i worked with hardest part was learning all the cuts management was not to bad to deal with
Pros
cheep meat
Cons
seasonal work
any position is only what you make it. I worked in a small department with a very good manager. The main problem with SFF is the lack of communication and the top heavy business model. I had a varied day with sampling or auditing different departments. Just to make life interesting, the day could be interupted with compliance incidences thrown in to keep you on your toes.
very repetitive work, bad work culture but most of the people you work with are friendly, and there is a wide range of people, good for a short period of time
Pros
Cons
evrything
I would definitely work here again, enjoyed gaining new skills surrounding Union Delegate. I was part of a team that gained the highest yield count in the history of night shift while working there. great people.
Pros
easy money. good culture. good training.
Cons
not many oportunities career wise
Silver Fern farms is a great learning experience as you meet a lot of different people each with unique talents which they share with you. Hardest part of the job is keeping up when you first start and keeping your knife sharp at all times.
Pros
Learning great skills
Cons
good company good people. Seniority actually means something there. There is a bit of intimidation there which doesn't get accounted for. good money there on the bobbies
I really enjoyed working with silver fern farms, I liked the strictness. I learned quite a lot from the time I was there. The management and team work was also really good
A typical day at work is hard work, into as soon as you get there, i learnt how to herd a big group of calves into one pen and also learnt how manage the calves better, management was very helpful and awesome.Was having to listen so many different types of supervisors and people. Enjoyable part was working with others that would help you and enjoy working with you.
Pros
Shared Lunches
Cons
Long Hours
My review on silver ferns takapau is great. i learnt how to trim and handle meat i learnt how to sharpen and look after gear. i worked with great people and got paid really well. Typical day would be sharping knifes cleaning gear and gumboots applying the right work gear. keeping your work area clean. Most enjoyable part would be working with a great team. Hardest part would be keeping my knifes sharp
Pros
Fresh cooked lunch & dinner
Cons
Short breaks
good work environment , you get to meet a lot of new people aswell as learn some very valuable skills to take with you in life