Silver Fern Farms

Silver Fern Farms Employee Reviews

New Zealand113 reviews

3.6Work–Life Balance

Plagued with Bad Culture

My experience was sad, stressful and I often felt overwhelmed (from broken machines and no support) Management and team leaders lacked basic communication skills, and the engineering team are very difficult to work with. Definitely some jobs are better than others there, but unfortunately if your female your more likely to work the fast paced/lesser paid jobs.

Pros

Good Pay Good Hours Great Training

Cons

Bad Work Culture Outdated Tools&Equipment/Machines

Best part about that place is the ones in the whites.

This is a good place for teens to start out as I did helps you grow up, you make really good mates and get the best pay you'll ever get at 16 years old. High up Management could use some work on communication skills and how to treat their works though but other then that its a good place to work.

Pros

Make good mates, get good money

Cons

The bullying from management

Family atmosphere

The day starts early and the work is intense, but the pay rewards are good, for those who work hard at it. More training opportunities available for those who wish to go for them. Lamb Secondary Butchery had a family atmosphere and everyone is welcoming and helpful to new people. Nothing is more rewarding than seeing someone achieve the results and rewards they are after. Finding enough work to get through the downtime in the off season is the hardest part, but there are opportunities at other processing plants to help with this.

Pros

Good pay, great workmates

Cons

Early starts

fun

Personally it was fun working here, because i knew alot of people that work here. Also had the chance to be able to work with my partner which was really cool. I learnt so many new skills and was able to work fast while doing my jobs.

Pros

Money

Cons

Long off seasons

Overall excellent

The job was an overall excellent job, it also has great hours, with an overall great team to work with just like they are your family, its a great experince lots of new skills to learn and a place to grow your experince to the maximum

Pros

Meat deals, sundae barbarque

Cons

There wasnt anyting

Good team environment

I worked at silver fern farms for 2 years and it was choice my life was on track but since i left things don't feel the same miss working with my colleagues

Cons

Good money

Great co-workers

The company is okay to work for the workers are great and help each other as much as possible. They supply all your clothing, knives,and any other equipment required

Pros

Provide training

Cons

Being seasonal and when stock is short there can be no work or short days

Fun and productive

Love cutting meat working in a team and the use of sharp knives and learng about the different cuts of meat that I was working with very hard but fun job to have

If you want good job they the ones

It's easy to hard work team players different nations Get full training from Management Health n safety They are fair if you are sick. YOU need to learn always on a good contract

Pros

You have half hr lunch breaks 15 mins breaks for smoko

Cons

5 mins breaks .

The most enjoyable part of the job

The most enjoyable part to this job is seeing productivity for the company and having the chance to see the success of your hard work and that you are a part of a huge team all trying to achieve the same goal. Work hard, go home, enjoy the friendships along the way

Pros

good money

Cons

long hours bending over

work life in the industry

My day would start off fine, but with breakdowns with machinery or people, the day would turn on itself, In the industry it definitely makes you understand the work ethics that goes on behind closed doors, how the management work with the workers, to try work out certain situations that may arise. There is a lot of multi-culture workers in our work force, and we all work together well, respect each others ways and religions. I would say the hardest part of the job initially would be having to train someone to do a job, in the area that you work in and keep in a clean well looked after station, get slowly messed up and then the whole station your at is a total mess...!! But then, the most enjoyable part of my job, is when you see that person whom you've been training, starts to get it, and able to work the station, and keep it clean at the same time, now that's a pretty proud moment :)

Pros

Free Hot water, parking and a BBQ at breakup... REALLY!!

Cons

Not enough parking, no coffee tea or sugar provided for morning or afternoon tea, breaks are very limited, If there are to many breakdowns, you dont get paid full contract, just minimin pay.

Great Pay but Repetitive work

A typical day will have you on a production line doing the same thing over and over again, however there is the option to move up in the workplace and gain experience and qualifications. Staff is a mixed bag, you'll get along with some and others not so much but you'll rarely talk because you'll work independently 90% of the time anyway. You are prone to getting a repetitive strain injury as the work is physical, they have a medical staff on hand and encourage micro pauses.

Pros

Seasonal

Cons

Repetitive work

Culture and comradeship

A work place like no other, I started work as a boy, three months later I was one of the team of men slaughtering. As you work up the pay grades D to C to B to A you work harder in faster, its a make or break environment some break some just stay on C grade or the easy B grades, but the hardest workers become legends...and earn top money. Management take there job seriously some can be militant, but it's a good union company relationship. Seniorority ensures a culture of respect and the step up to the task culture, though it can lead to issues with guys getting easier high grade jobs, it instills a sense of respect for long time employees union or management.

Pros

Money and mates

Cons

Short days due to plant location and a rival meatworks 18km away

Fun

A typical day here consists of fun laughter and heavy workload, often misunderstanding with other collegues but swiftly dealt with by supervisors and team leaders.

Pros

fit and fun

Cons

insuffecient hours

Loacted in Dunedin, Otago

Enjoy my role in the Food Quality, Environment and Assurance group at Silver Fern Farms. I will be finishing my role in December 2017 as we relocated our family to Invercargill in November 2017 and unfortunately I am not able to do my role remotely.

Productive workplace

Our positions require us to verify the processes to ensure food safety at all times. When we are able to identify issues within the workplace that could hinder safety then having a negative impact on the productivity we bring this to the attention of higher management. so that we can determine where the sets back are and put in place solutions to boost qualtiy and productivity.

Pros

Customer feedback

Cons

bad attitudes from all staff across the board

great job if you love hard work.

SFF is great for the hard working people, I enjoyed the work vibe and early mornings that came with it. SFF motivated me to work as hard as i can to be as good at my job. Would recommend to people that love hard work.

Great employees

I voluntarily resigned based on dismissal due absenteeism. I tried to argue my case the fact that I was unfairly disciplined and unfairly dismissed, i worked there for almost 9years I’m a hard worker and just had a bad year this year. In 2015 I decided to organise a biggest loser at work to bring together workers and keep them healthy and happy so that Love coming to work. I love working for this company and wish I had my job back to prove that I have learnt from this experience.

Pros

Great employees

Cons

Management, unfair treatment, no communications.

Multi culture workplace in food industry

multi culture work place. Busy days at work no time wasting and physical work. Management is up to standard and great team to work with learned a lot from company about produce of fresh meats and different culture preferences. Health and Safety is a number one goal for them.

Pros

Cons

long hours not definite about future work days and hours

Productive and fun workplace

teamplayer, fun workplace, can do atitudes, Supervisors are all good, workmate are good, try to manage product on time no avoid delays the most enjoyable part is when the tick on the last minute it's means home time and looking forward on the following day

Busy production line very fast paced and always changing,

As production scheduler I was always extremely busy and under considerable stress. There was always support available. I enjoyed this fast environment and there was never a dull time,

Pros

Days went very quickly

Cons

High pressure and focused work place

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Silver Fern Farms. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• Silver Fern Farms