Silver Fern Farms Employee Reviews

Never trust the management
Yard pool - Boning room, freezers, export offal (Former Employee) –  Pareora19 August 2016
To quote someone else's review of the same plant, "The lamb cuts boning room has been waiting to update its contract for over 10 years. The contract has been open for negotiation since 2012, but the company doesn't care and is losing its best workers to the competition."

Everything the reviewer stated was accurate and is still ongoing. If you're to work for Silver Fern Farms, ensure you write down every day, duty, and clean up you do and cross reference it with your pay cheque each week because they will screw you every and any chance they get.

Ancient machinery constant breaks down because the company hasn't put any money into maintenance for years. Derelict buildings on site or unusable freezer space because of lack maintenance. Working in the secondary butchery is like going back in time by 60 years. Machines are repurposed to do a job they were not really built for. Promises of new boning room have been given to workers for over a decade.

Working at Silver Fern Farms was a real eye opener as to how management can destroy the morale of the workers and being aware that if they want to change something it looking for the long con and try to see how you're getting screwed.

Never give the management an inch even if it seemed reasonable at the time because they will take a whole yard and you won't get it back. Any written and verbal agreements made by the company can be thrown out at will with no recourse because the Unions don't have the money or resources to battle the company.

Silver Fern Farms closely monitors Talleys like a little brother who tries to emulate
  more... their idol as the latter company screws over their workers. The company is secretive so you never know where you stand, and their delaying tactics on contracts is masterful.

For the most part, you workmates are good, the management is overbearing, the days will drag once you become accustomed to the work, the pay can be okay during certain times of the year. Prepare to work six days a week for the majority of the year for a probable week off at Christmas [this is not guaranteed though happens more often than not] and a four-week break in the middle of winter as your off season. You will develop an RSI so inform them as soon as possible otherwise you will get no support.
Pros
Gateway to another job such as Alliance, SPC or Fonterra
Cons
Overbearing, mistrustful management who always seem to be disorganised.
good job
Falmongery / Contract Wool Puller (Former Employee) –  Timaru , NZ14 June 2016
hard fast work< grading wool.
load machine, load bins of wool, wash down machines. stack pelts. drive fork lift. move pallets around.
Pros
hard
Cons
chemicals
Packer (Former Employee) –  Waikato District, Waikato20 April 2016
A typical day at work is really rushful, what i have learnt, how to work as a team and also as a individual, the management is well maintained, co workers are friendly. The hardest part about the job is having to listen to different supervisors, the most enjoyable part of the job is working with others and learning different skills
Pros
Co-Workers
Great working environment
Knife Hand (Current Employee) –  Pareora2 March 2016
Get in to work at 3:00pm, get gear on, sharpen knives and ready on the chain at 3:30 sharp. Get 2 30min smokos and chain stop 12:00 normal night. Learned a lot of knife skills during my time, lamb and mutton boning shoulders, legs, loins etc. Learned how to enjoy working with close mates whilst also maintaining quality product/getting job done quickly. Management are good, know when to relax but also know when to kick you into line. Co-workers are like a family, good talk and productive in team environment. Hardest part of the job is the first month. Everything feels difficult as you are new, and have to adjust to the new working environment (body also hurts if you're not used to the intensity). Most enjoyable part of the job is the chillers, easy job and good break from the chain if you're sore.
Pros
Good workout, make good friends
Cons
Strain on body, seasonal
good work place
label printer, packer (Former Employee) –  Takapau14 January 2016
it was hard work to do for me but I got some more leadership skills and was in a great shape because I used to sweat all the time in the temperature of 5-degree celsius. But for that hard work I think I was getting a decent pay.
Pros
great pay/overtime pay
Cons
far from my house and only seasonal work
Fun and easy
Meat Paker (Former Employee) –  Hawera, N6 December 2015
People are great to get on with when you are feeling tired and bored of doing the same thing over and over.
Supervisors give good clear instructions.
Pros
Cheap pies
Cons
Factory work can only challenge you for so long.
Yard Pool (Current Employee) –  Pareora4 November 2015

I would say that the management is overworked and given impossible targets from the company that refuses to update the facilities or even replace outdated machinery.

The workers are a great lot who have put up with too much from the management.

I enjoy work that challenges me and for a time learning the jobs in the factory pushed me but now I know most of them I find myself getting bored easily.

What I will take away most from working at Silver Fern Farms is to be wary the perception of management. Little things can snowball affecting the culture and staff happiness.
Pros
reasonable pay
Cons
Factory work can only challenge you for so long.
Working with others
Leading Hand (Current Employee) –  Waitotara, N26 October 2015
The one think that I enjoyed about working for this company is the opportunities of learning new skills and meeting new people
awsome place
rack room handler (Former Employee) –  Hawera, N23 September 2015
love the hours and the people at that meat work plant and the boss is cool az and hes my daughters god father an my best friend since primary school an all my mates work there too
Pros
shoutted lunch an t
Cons
seasonal
Good team of people
Assistant Plant engineer (Current Employee) –  Takapau30 August 2015
Very busy place to work and very much enjoy it. Been involved with automation system, x-ray equipment and primal cutters.
Consistant and fun
Meat Process Worker (Current Employee) –  Pareora, S25 August 2015
Very hard working place with hard working people. Was good to have stable employment. Season did not last long enough and seniority is abit of a pain
Pros
Meeting new people
Cons
Short season
Productive and energetic workplace
Knife Hand, Primary Butchery (Former Employee) –  Hawera12 August 2015
a typical day would procure a plethora of great fun, tied in with a hard working environment that produced a great atmosphere, but one where work got done quickly and efficiently.
Pros
workmates and managent.
Enjoyable workplace
meat processor (Former Employee) –  Hawera,Taranaki4 August 2015
A typical day at work was really enjoyable some days and not so enjoyable others being such a repetitive job day in and day out.
working in a place like the meat works to get to know your fellow workers really well and they end up becoming like family members to you.
Pros
almost family like enviroment
Cons
long hours sometimes
productive;
Process Worker (Former Employee) –  Clyde st Silverstream Dunedin23 July 2015
it being so long ago since i worked there, and knowing that 90%of management and co-workers even plant and rooms I worked in are now closed, It be unfair I feel to make comment.
Working with my own people
Packer (Former Employee) –  Balclutha, S14 July 2015
I enjoyed working at Silver Fern Farm because I got to meet my family members from the Island.I wanted to see if I could handle hard work and I did.Everything is possible if I put my whole heart in it.The manager was encouraging the workers to work hard,earn more.The hardest part is,the coldness and the enjoyable part is packing the meats it was fun.
Pros
No free lunch
Cons
Good hours
Grande azienda leader nella carne
controllo qualità (Former Employee) –  Christchurch6 July 2015
Ambiente entusiasmante, spazi enormi, buon ambiente di lavoro, a volte ripetitivo
Family like
Packer/Trimmer (Former Employee) –  Balclutha26 June 2015
Pre-operation
Organize cartons and labels for the shift
Organize the re-work area with necessary gear

A typical day for me is check for chilled leakers and re-bag or re-box if needed, reprinting of foss cartons, organize workers to triton machines. Help out co-workers where needed.
Take meat products back to origin to be re-worked or re-packed.

Lamb cuts night shift an excellent place to work it has a family feeling to the factory, the company and management encourages personal growth and development through review and progress reports.
Pros
Good renumeration
Cons
Night shift hours
silver fran frams fairton
butcher slaughter man (Current Employee) –  Ashburton, S19 June 2015
very good place to work excellent hours were I worked had the radio going awesome boss very good people to work with cheap meat
Pros
indoors warm very good cafe
Cons
very hard work blood water
Seasonal
butcher (Current Employee) –  pareora4 June 2015
All year round work would be great. Seasonal work only which is not good when you are budgeting for one. and i think its all
Fun place to work
Packing (Former Employee) –  Balclutha, S28 May 2015
Working at Finegand has been the excited. You get to meet a lot of new friendly people. You know what kind of meat you pack and its 100% fresh.