Silver Fern Farms
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Silver Fern Farms Employee Reviews

New Zealand104 reviews
I wasn't too sure of which department I was going to be working in the 2 years that I worked doing bobbies.When doing the hides self taught .Self taught in the hides and when I was doing the joints most of the time the cutter broke down and it was hands on.
Removing bulk pieces of meat from a conveyor belt checking for bone chips and packing into boxes for the Export Market
Checking Seals and repacking products for Local NZ Supermarkets
Pros
Good wages
Cons
Very Cold Enviroment
Hard work but good pay.
Learned how to sharpen a knife and to bone out a lamb,

Managers were ok but the guys and girls I worked with were great. A really friendly bunch and good team environment.

Boning is hard on the wrists but working fast can be fun depending on your attitude. making a game of it and racing each other makes work a lot more enjoyable.
Pros
Good pay for hard work
Cons
the work is seasonal but this can be seen as a pro too.
High standard place to work for especially when it comes to hygiene and making sure everything is done to a T. Loved every minute working at this place highly recommended..
It is a good place to work at when you finish college I clean the floors and do a wash up through the night as it keep others safe if you want a good payed job silver furn farms is good
Great money. Not the most pleasant enviourment.not for the faint hearted. Hard constant work with short breaks fast paced and requires excellent knife skills
Pros
great pay
Cons
Worked hard with good people. Learnt heaps good training.I enjoyed the challenges everyday. Hardest part of job was learning the harder jobs and getting speed. good place to work.
Pros
cheap meat
Cons
short days
Good working there loving meeting new people loved new gained throughout past work experience I like to try to new jobs I am looking to secure a challenging new role where transferable skills, knowleage and expertise gained experience
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
To quote someone else's review of the same plant, "The lamb cuts boning room has been waiting to update its contract for over 10 years. The contract has been open for negotiation since 2012, but the company doesn't care and is losing its best workers to the competition."

Everything the reviewer stated was accurate and is still ongoing. If you're to work for Silver Fern Farms, ensure you write down every day, duty, and clean up you do and cross reference it with your pay cheque each week because they will screw you every and any chance they get.

Ancient machinery constant breaks down because the company hasn't put any money into maintenance for years. Derelict buildings on site or unusable freezer space because of lack maintenance. Working in the secondary butchery is like going back in time by 60 years. Machines are repurposed to do a job they were not really built for. Promises of new boning room have been given to workers for over a decade.

Working at Silver Fern Farms was a real eye opener as to how management can destroy the morale of the workers and being aware that if they want to change something it looking for the long con and try to see how you're getting screwed.

Never give the management an inch even if it seemed reasonable at the time because they will take a whole yard and you won't get it back. Any written and verbal agreements made by the company can be thrown out at will with no recourse because the Unions don't have the money or resources to battle the company.

Silver Fern Farms closely monitors Talleys like a little brother who tries to emulate
 - more...
Pros
Gateway to another job such as Alliance, SPC or Fonterra
Cons
Overbearing, mistrustful management who always seem to be disorganised.
hard fast work< grading wool.
load machine, load bins of wool, wash down machines. stack pelts. drive fork lift. move pallets around.
Pros
hard
Cons
chemicals
A typical day at work is really rushful, what i have learnt, how to work as a team and also as a individual, the management is well maintained, co workers are friendly. The hardest part about the job is having to listen to different supervisors, the most enjoyable part of the job is working with others and learning different skills
Pros
Co-Workers
Cons
Get in to work at 3:00pm, get gear on, sharpen knives and ready on the chain at 3:30 sharp. Get 2 30min smokos and chain stop 12:00 normal night. Learned a lot of knife skills during my time, lamb and mutton boning shoulders, legs, loins etc. Learned how to enjoy working with close mates whilst also maintaining quality product/getting job done quickly. Management are good, know when to relax but also know when to kick you into line. Co-workers are like a family, good talk and productive in team environment. Hardest part of the job is the first month. Everything feels difficult as you are new, and have to adjust to the new working environment (body also hurts if you're not used to the intensity). Most enjoyable part of the job is the chillers, easy job and good break from the chain if you're sore.
Pros
Good workout, make good friends
Cons
Strain on body, seasonal
it was hard work to do for me but I got some more leadership skills and was in a great shape because I used to sweat all the time in the temperature of 5-degree celsius. But for that hard work I think I was getting a decent pay.
Pros
great pay/overtime pay
Cons
far from my house and only seasonal work
People are great to get on with when you are feeling tired and bored of doing the same thing over and over.
Supervisors give good clear instructions.
Pros
Cheap pies
Cons

I would say that the management is overworked and given impossible targets from the company that refuses to update the facilities or even replace outdated machinery.

The workers are a great lot who have put up with too much from the management.

I enjoy work that challenges me and for a time learning the jobs in the factory pushed me but now I know most of them I find myself getting bored easily.

What I will take away most from working at Silver Fern Farms is to be wary the perception of management. Little things can snowball affecting the culture and staff happiness.
Pros
reasonable pay
Cons
Factory work can only challenge you for so long.
The one think that I enjoyed about working for this company is the opportunities of learning new skills and meeting new people
love the hours and the people at that meat work plant and the boss is cool az and hes my daughters god father an my best friend since primary school an all my mates work there too
Pros
shoutted lunch an t
Cons
seasonal
Very busy place to work and very much enjoy it. Been involved with automation system, x-ray equipment and primal cutters.
Very hard working place with hard working people. Was good to have stable employment. Season did not last long enough and seniority is abit of a pain
Pros
Meeting new people
Cons
Short season
a typical day would procure a plethora of great fun, tied in with a hard working environment that produced a great atmosphere, but one where work got done quickly and efficiently.
Pros
workmates and managent.
A typical day at work was really enjoyable some days and not so enjoyable others being such a repetitive job day in and day out.
working in a place like the meat works to get to know your fellow workers really well and they end up becoming like family members to you.
Pros
almost family like enviroment
Cons
long hours sometimes