Silver Fern Farms Employee Reviews

Working
Knife hand (Current Employee) –  Waitotara21 May 2015
Management are understanding, work colleagues are great, work environment is awesome, work/ life balance is great, work great hours and are able to spend time with family also.
Pros
Great work days and staff
Cons
Unreliable hours as work is seasonal
cultral orientated
Meat Processor (Former Employee) –  Dargaville, N22 March 2015
I felt very drawn to my co-workers whilst employed at Silver Fern Farms gaining a life long friendship with many, my management team always insured the employees needs where met and always made sure we could rely on our management team.

The hardest part of the job was waking up early hours of the morning having to be on the floor at 6:15 am sharp. Also the strain it takes on your body, I found places that didn't even know existed hurt on my body, which at times where inconvenient , because it prevented me from doing certain jobs, overall it was a good run.
Pros
early start rest of the day off
Cons
long hours, straining of muscles
Shift Supervisor
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Mosgiel11 February 2015
Scheduling the daily running of the factory was hardest when the absenteeism for the evening shift was high. Managing the workforce to the best of our ability with the resources we had was a challenge but I found that if I worked along side the workforce they could appreciate that I was willing to assist in their daily duties and appreciated the efforts they put in.
Co workers would allow me to do this by assisting with my shift duties.
The hardest part of the job was dealing with any serious harm injuries that possibly happened.
The people were the enjoyable part of the job and I like to treat them as a family.
Pros
Achieving high standard of production
Cons
love everything about it.
silver fern farms (Former Employee) –  New zealand11 February 2015
I loved it there because I learnt how to cut diffident meats and got to see what it was like to work in a meat factory. Its a diffident vibe because you are always around dead things such as cows, sheep and pigs.
Pros
discount on meats
Cons
good hours.
its a fun workplace and loved the people
knife handler (Former Employee) –  hawera taranaki new zealand9 February 2015
the work there was great i learned alot in the meat works the management wea great the co workers were good to work with and good to be around there were no hard part about this job as everyone were always there to help
Pros
free work gears and lunch once a week
Cons
always double shiffs if you wanted
Excellent work environment
Freezing Worker (Current Employee) –  Balclutha, S2 February 2015
Excellent team environment. Good honest work. The harder you work the better the opportunities. I absolutely love this job due to the fact that its physically challenging and your working with good, honest, hard working folks.
Pros
Excellent work environment with no stress.
Cons
Seasonal work
Very production focused
Rumper (Former Employee) –  Hawera29 November 2014
A typical day was early morning rise for the early start. You prepared your knives and any other equipment that was required. The supervisor was very strict but that was ok and the co-workers were great. We all would help each other out when required no questions asked. The hardest part of any day would be if your knives or equipment weren't performing at there best but when everything went smoothly it was most enjoyable
Pros
Could purchase bulk meat
Cons
Can be hard on the body
very productive & cultural diversified
Detain worker on Slaughter Board.. (Former Employee) –  Finnegan Balclutha13 November 2014
At Silver Fern Farms, hygiene and safety is a high priority of all workers. Company policies for food safety is a must follow. It is a great learning experience of working within a meat industry. It is hard to keep up with rules and regulations. It is hard to be responsible for the safety of others when performing the job. I enjoy working with a team of more than 100 people.
Cons
long travelling everyday & transport problems
great place to work
KNIVE HAND (Current Employee) –  Saleyards Road 2RD Gore 977225 October 2014
Arrive early have a chat to co-workers,and prepare for the days graft.
Get a bit disgruntled with the absent people,just keep my head down and get on with the task in hand.
Pros
good hours
Alright, but repetitive.
Meat Packer/Yard worker (Former Employee) –  Waitoa15 September 2014
Out in the yards was good enjoyable work, loved it, but when it came to working in the boning room, it was alright, but repetitive, like you were a robot.

Pay was done by quantity not hours, and most of my work was done in calving season, so turned out to be a good pay every week overall.
Pros
Good pay.
Cons
Robot like work.
Productive and fun work place
Packer/ Meat handler (Former Employee) –  TeAroha/Paeroa Waikato7 July 2014
Good money, good people, good working enviroment. Hassel free
Pros
Good people
well organised
Product Hadeller (Former Employee) –  waitoa, waikato2 May 2014
Silver Fern Farms are a very well organised organisation. You walked into work with a smile on you're face and you leave with the same smile. The hardest part of the job was to stay completely focussed otherwise you will lag behind for the rest of the shift. The most enjoyable part of the job was how close all the employees were together.
Cons
enjoy working most of the time
2ic loin/rack line (Current Employee) –  Takapau, N25 April 2014
i enjoy work when iam busy and when employees all work together
Pros
good wages
good workplace
cleaner (Former Employee) –  Takapau, N20 March 2014
good workplace team members enjoyed it learnt alot about chemicals acids health and safety in workplace
Pros
travel allowance
Cons
long night shift hours half hour drive
Very Multi Cultured Environment
Slaughter Floor Assistance (Current Employee) –  Paeroa, N10 March 2014
Everyone there is easily approachable and will introduce themselves with such ease. Assistance is easily requested and provided. So many individual with a sense of humor and very multi cultural.
Pros
Being allocated to a various area of the firm, you're personally taught to a great deal of skills and traits.
Cons
Rushing to change out of the dress codes to smoko breaks and rush to dress up again lol.
Productive and fun work place
worker (Current Employee) –  Dunedin9 February 2014
Learn new cuts sharpen you knife before your day starts meet new people the hardest part is when you first start the job you have to learn all these new things. Apart from that it is a great job full on and physical. Best thing about the job is when you can have a laugh with people and still get the job done in time.
Pros
Making new friends
Cons
when machines break down
Takapau
KNIFE HAND (Former Employee) –  Takapau31 January 2014
This was a Great role which involved heavy lifting boning packaging of meat and deboning and alot of other roles like scanning product
seasonal
trimmer (Former Employee) –  Te Aroha, N4 January 2014
was great working with silver fern farms, as i come from wanganui..
in this work place it was who u know not whatu know and as hard as i worked i could still not advance within the company as it was all run by the locals who were in it for the money.
Silver Fern Farms
Logistics hand (Former Employee) –  Takapau, NZ19 December 2013
We get to work fill out our forklift sheets, turn the computers on and read the important documents for the work tasks of the day. set the paperwork out give to the designated forklift drivers of the day, and print out the tallymans work sheet also. set our groups of loading gangs to load the containers. make the pallets up for the trucks that come in. unload the freight off the trucks. sign the necessary documentation. Work and enjoy your co workers company. there was nothing hard about the job it was quite enjoyable.
I recommend the job at Silver Fern Farms, Takapau nz to whom ever wishes to work there. its a well paying good enjoyable job with great people. If I wasnt moving to perth I would still be there......
Pros
Social clubs
Good Pay, Hard Working Job
Carton Handler/Floor Boy/Meat Handler/Freezer Hand (Former Employee) –  Waitoa, NZ7 December 2013
On a typical day of work, I would put on my gear (jumpsuit, high-visibility vest and a hardhat) and I would start by taking boxes of meat from a conveyor belt and put them into the appropriate racks with the same cut of meat. After the rack was full, a forklift would carry the rack to a machine that would wrap the rack with plastic, and I would operate the machine to wrap the rack to be put in the freezer. Then I would go to the other side of the freezer room and I would load the frozen boxes from the racks that were loaded yesterday and stack them into the back of a semi-truck. After every row was stacked to the top, I would take a picture of the row and then document how many boxes were in the row, followed by the total amount of boxes in the semi-truck until the trailer was full. Then I'd get an hour break and after that was done my co-workers and I would finish stacking up two more trucks before the day was over and we would head home. Working at Silver Fern Farms, I learned that how to work faster while keeping everything organized without making any mistakes. Management around Silver Fern Farms was really disciplined and they made sure we were too. They were also friendly and outgoing towards us which made it a lot easier to work around them and I didn't feel as tense working there compared to my other jobs I've worked at. My co-workers were nice and fun and very out going. They would joke with each other a lot and everybody got along. They were also very helpful when I ran into a problem or if I could have did something more effectively they would show me a better solution  more... that made it easier for me to work as well. The most difficult part of the job would be having to lift the 60 lb boxes of frozen meat over my head to stack on the top of the row of boxes in the trailer. It usually takes 2 hours to fill up the whole truck (if you do it fast enough) and after a while, it starts to wear on your arms. The most enjoyable part of the job would be the fact that music would be playing in the room the whole time during work. It made working more enjoyable.  less