Silver Fern Farms
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Silver Fern Farms Employee Reviews

New Zealand104 reviews
I wasn't too sure of which department I was going to be working in the 2 years that I worked doing bobbies.When doing the hides self taught .Self taught in the hides and when I was doing the joints most of the time the cutter broke down and it was hands on.
it being so long ago since i worked there, and knowing that 90%of management and co-workers even plant and rooms I worked in are now closed, It be unfair I feel to make comment.
I enjoyed working at Silver Fern Farm because I got to meet my family members from the Island.I wanted to see if I could handle hard work and I did.Everything is possible if I put my whole heart in it.The manager was encouraging the workers to work hard,earn more.The hardest part is,the coldness and the enjoyable part is packing the meats it was fun.
Pros
No free lunch
Cons
Good hours
Ambiente entusiasmante, spazi enormi, buon ambiente di lavoro, a volte ripetitivo
Pre-operation
Organize cartons and labels for the shift

Organize the re-work area with necessary gear

A typical day for me is check for chilled leakers and re-bag or re-box if needed, reprinting of foss cartons, organize workers to triton machines. Help out co-workers where needed.

Take meat products back to origin to be re-worked or re-packed.

Lamb cuts night shift an excellent place to work it has a family feeling to the factory, the company and management encourages personal growth and development through review and progress reports.
Pros
Good renumeration
Cons
Night shift hours
very good place to work excellent hours were I worked had the radio going awesome boss very good people to work with cheap meat
Pros
indoors warm very good cafe
Cons
very hard work blood water
All year round work would be great. Seasonal work only which is not good when you are budgeting for one. and i think its all
Working at Finegand has been the excited. You get to meet a lot of new friendly people. You know what kind of meat you pack and its 100% fresh.
Management are understanding, work colleagues are great, work environment is awesome, work/ life balance is great, work great hours and are able to spend time with family also.
Pros
Great work days and staff
Cons
Unreliable hours as work is seasonal
I felt very drawn to my co-workers whilst employed at Silver Fern Farms gaining a life long friendship with many, my management team always insured the employees needs where met and always made sure we could rely on our management team.

The hardest part of the job was waking up early hours of the morning having to be on the floor at 6:15 am sharp. Also the strain it takes on your body, I found places that didn't even know existed hurt on my body, which at times where inconvenient , because it prevented me from doing certain jobs, overall it was a good run.
Pros
early start rest of the day off
Cons
long hours, straining of muscles
Scheduling the daily running of the factory was hardest when the absenteeism for the evening shift was high. Managing the workforce to the best of our ability with the resources we had was a challenge but I found that if I worked along side the workforce they could appreciate that I was willing to assist in their daily duties and appreciated the efforts they put in.
Co workers would allow me to do this by assisting with my shift duties.

The hardest part of the job was dealing with any serious harm injuries that possibly happened.

The people were the enjoyable part of the job and I like to treat them as a family.
Pros
Achieving high standard of production
Cons
I loved it there because I learnt how to cut diffident meats and got to see what it was like to work in a meat factory. Its a diffident vibe because you are always around dead things such as cows, sheep and pigs.
Pros
discount on meats
Cons
good hours.
the work there was great i learned alot in the meat works the management wea great the co workers were good to work with and good to be around there were no hard part about this job as everyone were always there to help
Pros
free work gears and lunch once a week
Cons
always double shiffs if you wanted
Excellent team environment. Good honest work. The harder you work the better the opportunities. I absolutely love this job due to the fact that its physically challenging and your working with good, honest, hard working folks.
Pros
Excellent work environment with no stress.
Cons
Seasonal work
A typical day was early morning rise for the early start. You prepared your knives and any other equipment that was required. The supervisor was very strict but that was ok and the co-workers were great. We all would help each other out when required no questions asked. The hardest part of any day would be if your knives or equipment weren't performing at there best but when everything went smoothly it was most enjoyable
Pros
Could purchase bulk meat
Cons
Can be hard on the body
At Silver Fern Farms, hygiene and safety is a high priority of all workers. Company policies for food safety is a must follow. It is a great learning experience of working within a meat industry. It is hard to keep up with rules and regulations. It is hard to be responsible for the safety of others when performing the job. I enjoy working with a team of more than 100 people.
Cons
long travelling everyday & transport problems
Arrive early have a chat to co-workers,and prepare for the days graft.
Get a bit disgruntled with the absent people,just keep my head down and get on with the task in hand.
Pros
good hours
Cons
Out in the yards was good enjoyable work, loved it, but when it came to working in the boning room, it was alright, but repetitive, like you were a robot.

Pay was done by quantity not hours, and most of my work was done in calving season, so turned out to be a good pay every week overall.
Pros
Good pay.
Cons
Robot like work.
Good money, good people, good working enviroment. Hassel free
Pros
Good people
Cons
Silver Fern Farms are a very well organised organisation. You walked into work with a smile on you're face and you leave with the same smile. The hardest part of the job was to stay completely focussed otherwise you will lag behind for the rest of the shift. The most enjoyable part of the job was how close all the employees were together.
Cons
i enjoy work when iam busy and when employees all work together
Pros
good wages