Silver Fern Farms

Silver Fern Farms Employee Reviews

New Zealand113 reviews

3.6Work–Life Balance

Plagued with Bad Culture

My experience was sad, stressful and I often felt overwhelmed (from broken machines and no support) Management and team leaders lacked basic communication skills, and the engineering team are very difficult to work with. Definitely some jobs are better than others there, but unfortunately if your female your more likely to work the fast paced/lesser paid jobs.

Pros

Good Pay Good Hours Great Training

Cons

Bad Work Culture Outdated Tools&Equipment/Machines

Great working environment

Get in to work at 3:00pm, get gear on, sharpen knives and ready on the chain at 3:30 sharp. Get 2 30min smokos and chain stop 12:00 normal night. Learned a lot of knife skills during my time, lamb and mutton boning shoulders, legs, loins etc. Learned how to enjoy working with close mates whilst also maintaining quality product/getting job done quickly. Management are good, know when to relax but also know when to kick you into line. Co-workers are like a family, good talk and productive in team environment. Hardest part of the job is the first month. Everything feels difficult as you are new, and have to adjust to the new working environment (body also hurts if you're not used to the intensity). Most enjoyable part of the job is the chillers, easy job and good break from the chain if you're sore.

Pros

Good workout, make good friends

Cons

Strain on body, seasonal

good work place

it was hard work to do for me but I got some more leadership skills and was in a great shape because I used to sweat all the time in the temperature of 5-degree celsius. But for that hard work I think I was getting a decent pay.

Pros

great pay/overtime pay

Cons

far from my house and only seasonal work

Fun and easy

People are great to get on with when you are feeling tired and bored of doing the same thing over and over. Supervisors give good clear instructions.

Pros

Cheap pies

Cons

Factory work can only challenge you for so long.

The lamb cuts boning room has been waiting to update its contract for over 10 years. The contract has been open for negotiation since 2012, but the company doesn't care and is losing its best workers to the competition. I would say that the management is overworked and given impossible targets from the company that refuses to update the facilities or even replace outdated machinery. The workers are a great lot who have put up with too much from the management. I enjoy work that challenges me and for a time learning the jobs in the factory pushed me but now I know most of them I find myself getting bored easily. What I will take away most from working at Silver Fern Farms is to be wary the perception of management. Little things can snowball affecting the culture and staff happiness.

Pros

reasonable pay

Cons

Factory work can only challenge you for so long.

Working with others

The one think that I enjoyed about working for this company is the opportunities of learning new skills and meeting new people

awsome place

love the hours and the people at that meat work plant and the boss is cool az and hes my daughters god father an my best friend since primary school an all my mates work there too

Pros

shoutted lunch an t

Cons

seasonal

Good team of people

Very busy place to work and very much enjoy it. Been involved with automation system, x-ray equipment and primal cutters.

Consistant and fun

Very hard working place with hard working people. Was good to have stable employment. Season did not last long enough and seniority is abit of a pain

Pros

Meeting new people

Cons

Short season

Productive and energetic workplace

a typical day would procure a plethora of great fun, tied in with a hard working environment that produced a great atmosphere, but one where work got done quickly and efficiently.

Pros

workmates and managent.

Enjoyable workplace

A typical day at work was really enjoyable some days and not so enjoyable others being such a repetitive job day in and day out. working in a place like the meat works to get to know your fellow workers really well and they end up becoming like family members to you.

Pros

almost family like enviroment

Cons

long hours sometimes

productive;

it being so long ago since i worked there, and knowing that 90%of management and co-workers even plant and rooms I worked in are now closed, It be unfair I feel to make comment.

Working with my own people

I enjoyed working at Silver Fern Farm because I got to meet my family members from the Island.I wanted to see if I could handle hard work and I did.Everything is possible if I put my whole heart in it.The manager was encouraging the workers to work hard,earn more.The hardest part is,the coldness and the enjoyable part is packing the meats it was fun.

Pros

No free lunch

Cons

Good hours

Grande azienda leader nella carne

Ambiente entusiasmante, spazi enormi, buon ambiente di lavoro, a volte ripetitivo

Family like

Pre-operation Organize cartons and labels for the shift Organize the re-work area with necessary gear A typical day for me is check for chilled leakers and re-bag or re-box if needed, reprinting of foss cartons, organize workers to triton machines. Help out co-workers where needed. Take meat products back to origin to be re-worked or re-packed. Lamb cuts night shift an excellent place to work it has a family feeling to the factory, the company and management encourages personal growth and development through review and progress reports.

Pros

Good renumeration

Cons

Night shift hours

silver fran frams fairton

very good place to work excellent hours were I worked had the radio going awesome boss very good people to work with cheap meat

Pros

indoors warm very good cafe

Cons

very hard work blood water

Seasonal

All year round work would be great. Seasonal work only which is not good when you are budgeting for one. and i think its all

Fun place to work

Working at Finegand has been the excited. You get to meet a lot of new friendly people. You know what kind of meat you pack and its 100% fresh.

Working

Management are understanding, work colleagues are great, work environment is awesome, work/ life balance is great, work great hours and are able to spend time with family also.

Pros

Great work days and staff

Cons

Unreliable hours as work is seasonal

cultral orientated

I felt very drawn to my co-workers whilst employed at Silver Fern Farms gaining a life long friendship with many, my management team always insured the employees needs where met and always made sure we could rely on our management team. The hardest part of the job was waking up early hours of the morning having to be on the floor at 6:15 am sharp. Also the strain it takes on your body, I found places that didn't even know existed hurt on my body, which at times where inconvenient , because it prevented me from doing certain jobs, overall it was a good run.

Pros

early start rest of the day off

Cons

long hours, straining of muscles

Shift Supervisor

Scheduling the daily running of the factory was hardest when the absenteeism for the evening shift was high. Managing the workforce to the best of our ability with the resources we had was a challenge but I found that if I worked along side the workforce they could appreciate that I was willing to assist in their daily duties and appreciated the efforts they put in. Co workers would allow me to do this by assisting with my shift duties. The hardest part of the job was dealing with any serious harm injuries that possibly happened. The people were the enjoyable part of the job and I like to treat them as a family.

Pros

Achieving high standard of production

Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Silver Fern Farms. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• Silver Fern Farms