Silver Fern Farms
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Silver Fern Farms Employee Reviews

New Zealand104 reviews
I wasn't too sure of which department I was going to be working in the 2 years that I worked doing bobbies.When doing the hides self taught .Self taught in the hides and when I was doing the joints most of the time the cutter broke down and it was hands on.
good workplace team members enjoyed it learnt alot about chemicals acids health and safety in workplace
Pros
travel allowance
Cons
long night shift hours half hour drive
Everyone there is easily approachable and will introduce themselves with such ease. Assistance is easily requested and provided. So many individual with a sense of humor and very multi cultural.
Pros
Being allocated to a various area of the firm, you're personally taught to a great deal of skills and traits.
Cons
Rushing to change out of the dress codes to smoko breaks and rush to dress up again lol.
Learn new cuts sharpen you knife before your day starts meet new people the hardest part is when you first start the job you have to learn all these new things. Apart from that it is a great job full on and physical. Best thing about the job is when you can have a laugh with people and still get the job done in time.
Pros
Making new friends
Cons
when machines break down
This was a Great role which involved heavy lifting boning packaging of meat and deboning and alot of other roles like scanning product
was great working with silver fern farms, as i come from wanganui..
in this work place it was who u know not whatu know and as hard as i worked i could still not advance within the company as it was all run by the locals who were in it for the money.
We get to work fill out our forklift sheets, turn the computers on and read the important documents for the work tasks of the day. set the paperwork out give to the designated forklift drivers of the day, and print out the tallymans work sheet also. set our groups of loading gangs to load the containers. make the pallets up for the trucks that come in. unload the freight off the trucks. sign the necessary documentation. Work and enjoy your co workers company. there was nothing hard about the job it was quite enjoyable.
I recommend the job at Silver Fern Farms, Takapau nz to whom ever wishes to work there. its a well paying good enjoyable job with great people. If I wasnt moving to perth I would still be there......
Pros
Social clubs
Cons
On a typical day of work, I would put on my gear (jumpsuit, high-visibility vest and a hardhat) and I would start by taking boxes of meat from a conveyor belt and put them into the appropriate racks with the same cut of meat. After the rack was full, a forklift would carry the rack to a machine that would wrap the rack with plastic, and I would operate the machine to wrap the rack to be put in the freezer. Then I would go to the other side of the freezer room and I would load the frozen boxes from the racks that were loaded yesterday and stack them into the back of a semi-truck. After every row was stacked to the top, I would take a picture of the row and then document how many boxes were in the row, followed by the total amount of boxes in the semi-truck until the trailer was full. Then I'd get an hour break and after that was done my co-workers and I would finish stacking up two more trucks before the day was over and we would head home. Working at Silver Fern Farms, I learned that how to work faster while keeping everything organized without making any mistakes. Management around Silver Fern Farms was really disciplined and they made sure we were too. They were also friendly and outgoing towards us which made it a lot easier to work around them and I didn't feel as tense working there compared to my other jobs I've worked at. My co-workers were nice and fun and very out going. They would joke with each other a lot and everybody got along. They were also very helpful when I ran into a problem or if I could have did something more effectively they would show me a better solution - more...
Typical day at work bosses would speak in foorn languages (Not knowing what they are saying)
I learnt different medicines and Surgery Intruments/Equipment

Manager was very bubbly and i found it easy to communicate with her,

Co-workers, enjoyed working along side of theses people

The hardest part of the job would have been communicating with the bosses

The most enjoying part of the job would have to be learning about teeth and the bosses cultures.
Pros
good pay
Cons
long hours, short breaks (sometimes no break till no patients)
An excellent place to work. I was very fortunate to have worked there. The people I worked with were friendly, I learned some good time management skills here. The hardest part of the job was probably correcting others mistakes due to not concentrating but we got there in the end. Supervisors and staff Management were excellent.
Pros
good bosses
Cons
seasonal work, not permanent
I Walked in to the job not knowing what to do with packing and also knifes in the whole year and 2months i was employed there
I had learned how to sharpen a knife handle a knife trim and also pack the meat the most enjoyable bit of the time i was employed was meeting alot of people but also learning that every one has a diffrent way of sharpening there knife's and also packing

management and also co-workers where great easy to get along well with the only downer was seasonal work
It has a very high standard of health and safety.Good environment and a better working condition.
I did somewhat enjoy my time at Ecowize, I learned a lot from working as a Hygiene Operator and was a good learning experience.
The hardest part of the job was picking up the slack from absent employees.
Cons
Over worked, under paid
I enjoy working for Silver Fern Farms, Management are good as they look after their employees and are very helpful with duties that I wasn't confident with at the beginning of my employment. Working with co-workers and making new friends is the most enjoyable part of my job.
Pros
Good wages
* a salary coming in
* Physically demanding

* Generally good supervision & support

* opportunity for limited responsibility (chemical room, inducting new broomies).

Pros
* kept me fit; a salary; interesting work colleagues.
Cons
Low pay; manual work.
8 1/2 hr work a day, learned there is more to a bugger than just eating.
Management where more than friendly, co-workers become family,

the hardest part about this job was to leave, most enjoyable part was working in a clean environment with such friendly people that made you fell part of a team.

Top Place to work at shame its in New Zealand not Australia.
My overall view of this company and everyone involved from top
to bottom.

1) I enjoy and look forward to my job

2) I enjoy working in a team inviroment

3) Its not a hard job at all

4) Rotating is the best part

5) Don't see much of Management

6) Get on well with Team Leader & Supervisor
Pros
Potential to earn good money
Cons
Its seasonal
My day would start at 4:30pm and finish at around 3:30am. I learnt that a factory must at all times be kept to a certain standard for health and safety reasons,also paper work is very important for tracing anything that may pop up in the future (papertrail). Time management was important as many things ran on timelines. I enjoyed setting my self standards above previous employees and pushing my limits as i was the only one in my area. I also liked working within a wide range of people all with different beliefs,cultures and backrounds etc.
Pros
total responsibilitie for the work i put out
Cons
long hours - 12 hour shifts
People are easy to get along with at Silverferns Farm, outgoing staff
Sometimes they like you when they need you to do things for them and other times if you need something, the rules come back into play. There is always work here with SFF and people do work hard and long hours. We have a brand new plant which is the state of the art. Should be the best place to work.
Pros
a bbq if you work overtime on the weekend (at waitoa plant).
Cons
very long hours. asked to work overtime when you have completed 50 hrs.
It's always a busy day at work,, and I learned how to work safely and communicate well with New Zealanders, that work is not all about money but it's the good working relationship that matters as well. Management is good and very supportive to all workers, my fellow workers are very friendly. The most hardest part of the job for me there was carrying and lifting all throughout the day but the most enjoyable part of my job was when we work all together with team work, it makes easier for each one of us.
Pros
free drinks such as coffee, chocolates and tea
Cons
short hours