Silver Fern Farms

Silver Fern Farms Employee Reviews

New Zealand113 reviews

3.6Work–Life Balance

Plagued with Bad Culture

My experience was sad, stressful and I often felt overwhelmed (from broken machines and no support) Management and team leaders lacked basic communication skills, and the engineering team are very difficult to work with. Definitely some jobs are better than others there, but unfortunately if your female your more likely to work the fast paced/lesser paid jobs.

Pros

Good Pay Good Hours Great Training

Cons

Bad Work Culture Outdated Tools&Equipment/Machines

love everything about it.

I loved it there because I learnt how to cut diffident meats and got to see what it was like to work in a meat factory. Its a diffident vibe because you are always around dead things such as cows, sheep and pigs.

Pros

discount on meats

Cons

good hours.

its a fun workplace and loved the people

the work there was great i learned alot in the meat works the management wea great the co workers were good to work with and good to be around there were no hard part about this job as everyone were always there to help

Pros

free work gears and lunch once a week

Cons

always double shiffs if you wanted

Excellent work environment

Excellent team environment. Good honest work. The harder you work the better the opportunities. I absolutely love this job due to the fact that its physically challenging and your working with good, honest, hard working folks.

Pros

Excellent work environment with no stress.

Cons

Seasonal work

Very production focused

A typical day was early morning rise for the early start. You prepared your knives and any other equipment that was required. The supervisor was very strict but that was ok and the co-workers were great. We all would help each other out when required no questions asked. The hardest part of any day would be if your knives or equipment weren't performing at there best but when everything went smoothly it was most enjoyable

Pros

Could purchase bulk meat

Cons

Can be hard on the body

very productive & cultural diversified

At Silver Fern Farms, hygiene and safety is a high priority of all workers. Company policies for food safety is a must follow. It is a great learning experience of working within a meat industry. It is hard to keep up with rules and regulations. It is hard to be responsible for the safety of others when performing the job. I enjoy working with a team of more than 100 people.

Cons

long travelling everyday & transport problems

great place to work

Arrive early have a chat to co-workers,and prepare for the days graft. Get a bit disgruntled with the absent people,just keep my head down and get on with the task in hand.

Pros

good hours

Alright, but repetitive.

Out in the yards was good enjoyable work, loved it, but when it came to working in the boning room, it was alright, but repetitive, like you were a robot. Pay was done by quantity not hours, and most of my work was done in calving season, so turned out to be a good pay every week overall.

Pros

Good pay.

Cons

Robot like work.

Productive and fun work place

Good money, good people, good working enviroment. Hassel free

Pros

Good people

well organised

Silver Fern Farms are a very well organised organisation. You walked into work with a smile on you're face and you leave with the same smile. The hardest part of the job was to stay completely focussed otherwise you will lag behind for the rest of the shift. The most enjoyable part of the job was how close all the employees were together.

Cons

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Silver Fern Farms?

enjoy working most of the time

i enjoy work when iam busy and when employees all work together

Pros

good wages

good workplace

good workplace team members enjoyed it learnt alot about chemicals acids health and safety in workplace

Pros

travel allowance

Cons

long night shift hours half hour drive

Very Multi Cultured Environment

Everyone there is easily approachable and will introduce themselves with such ease. Assistance is easily requested and provided. So many individual with a sense of humor and very multi cultural.

Pros

Being allocated to a various area of the firm, you're personally taught to a great deal of skills and traits.

Cons

Rushing to change out of the dress codes to smoko breaks and rush to dress up again lol.

Takapau

This was a Great role which involved heavy lifting boning packaging of meat and deboning and alot of other roles like scanning product

seasonal

was great working with silver fern farms, as i come from wanganui.. in this work place it was who u know not whatu know and as hard as i worked i could still not advance within the company as it was all run by the locals who were in it for the money.

Silver Fern Farms

We get to work fill out our forklift sheets, turn the computers on and read the important documents for the work tasks of the day. set the paperwork out give to the designated forklift drivers of the day, and print out the tallymans work sheet also. set our groups of loading gangs to load the containers. make the pallets up for the trucks that come in. unload the freight off the trucks. sign the necessary documentation. Work and enjoy your co workers company. there was nothing hard about the job it was quite enjoyable. I recommend the job at Silver Fern Farms, Takapau nz to whom ever wishes to work there. its a well paying good enjoyable job with great people. If I wasnt moving to perth I would still be there......

Pros

Social clubs

Good Pay, Hard Working Job

On a typical day of work, I would put on my gear (jumpsuit, high-visibility vest and a hardhat) and I would start by taking boxes of meat from a conveyor belt and put them into the appropriate racks with the same cut of meat. After the rack was full, a forklift would carry the rack to a machine that would wrap the rack with plastic, and I would operate the machine to wrap the rack to be put in the freezer. Then I would go to the other side of the freezer room and I would load the frozen boxes from the racks that were loaded yesterday and stack them into the back of a semi-truck. After every row was stacked to the top, I would take a picture of the row and then document how many boxes were in the row, followed by the total amount of boxes in the semi-truck until the trailer was full. Then I'd get an hour break and after that was done my co-workers and I would finish stacking up two more trucks before the day was over and we would head home. Working at Silver Fern Farms, I learned that how to work faster while keeping everything organized without making any mistakes. Management around Silver Fern Farms was really disciplined and they made sure we were too. They were also friendly and outgoing towards us which made it a lot easier to work around them and I didn't feel as tense working there compared to my other jobs I've worked at. My co-workers were nice and fun and very out going. They would joke with each other a lot and everybody got along. They were also very helpful when I ran into a problem or if I could have did something more effectively they would show me a better solution -

Plain And Bold

Typical day at work bosses would speak in foorn languages (Not knowing what they are saying) I learnt different medicines and Surgery Intruments/Equipment Manager was very bubbly and i found it easy to communicate with her, Co-workers, enjoyed working along side of theses people The hardest part of the job would have been communicating with the bosses The most enjoying part of the job would have to be learning about teeth and the bosses cultures.

Pros

good pay

Cons

long hours, short breaks (sometimes no break till no patients)

Good working environment

An excellent place to work. I was very fortunate to have worked there. The people I worked with were friendly, I learned some good time management skills here. The hardest part of the job was probably correcting others mistakes due to not concentrating but we got there in the end. Supervisors and staff Management were excellent.

Pros

good bosses

Cons

seasonal work, not permanent

awsome work place

I Walked in to the job not knowing what to do with packing and also knifes in the whole year and 2months i was employed there I had learned how to sharpen a knife handle a knife trim and also pack the meat the most enjoyable bit of the time i was employed was meeting alot of people but also learning that every one has a diffrent way of sharpening there knife's and also packing management and also co-workers where great easy to get along well with the only downer was seasonal work

It is a fun place to work

It has a very high standard of health and safety.Good environment and a better working condition.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Silver Fern Farms. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• Silver Fern Farms