South Pacific Meats

South Pacific Meats Employee Reviews

New Zealand14 reviews

3.2Work–Life Balance

- everyday was good start of the morning - i have learned how to use knife and other jobs - management was slow its all depend on workers - the hardest part was when you start something new but the supervisior or work mate doesn't teach you properly - most enjoyable part is when everyone is happy and talk to eachother rather then be quite

Fun workplace

7a.m to 5.00 p.m shift for season Off season 3.00 pm to 11.00 p.mLearnt how to use knifeManagement is good Work culture is bit smelly but you will learn how to handle that.

Pros

Lamb leg on christmas

Cons

Hours Summer

Experience

Management was not very professional in terms of training... Pretty much thrown in the deep end. Work load unfairly distributed, some working in same position but could leave whenever/wherever leaving you with to complete work Favouritism... It was who you knew and could get away with being slack and unproductive

Meat processing/ lamb boning.

It was a great experience working for this company with great staffs and management. Have learned a lot of new things and gained a lot of experiences and skills.

Fast faced and physical

At South Pacific Meats i learnt very quickly to work within a team environment with some great people which made it an enjoyable work place. Hardest part of the job was to meet certain deadlines with hefty work loads but always made the deadlines with the good team we had.

Dangerous environment

I worked here for a day and half, that was enough for me to see just how their Health and Safety culture was going to seriously injure someone or even kill someone.. I picked up my toolbox and walked out after telling engineering manager that I had a family that needed me alive so I got out while I could. seeing the rescue helicopter arrive to take someone seriously injured away from site was the final deciding factor in my decision.

Pros

Cons

dangerous health and safety culture, pay way below market pay rates

Fun and manageable

I loved working here it was one of the best jobs i have ever had A normal fun day was long and tirering but i learned that if u put your mind to something u can do it. I learned to manage myself and work unsupervised. It was an amazing space to be in the worst and hardest part of the jobs is running after sheep if the got out but thebest part was doing the job with great employees

Pros

Long breaks

Cons

Standing on your feet all day

Fun Experience

Loved working here! Great team, Made some Life time friends, Learned new things everyday, Management could be more fair on some things but they are good people.

Pros

Great Team

Cons

management

friendly environment

I work in 2 different departments at times The casings room which is dealing with the sheep intestines/runners The offal department which is sorting and packing the product such as the organs into boxes at the right weights and then sending them thru to be sent away to the over seas markets. (what ive learnt) Health and safety knife skills time management dangers hazards wash down sterilizing ppe gear.

Pros

attendance bonus

Cons

long days 1 day off a week

Workplace

Working at South Pacific Meats was a friendly environment and i learnt quite a lot like how the machines function and its use, wrapping and bagging meats a certain way and packing and boxing meat with label.

productive and fun workplace at times.

Typical meat works environment everybody gets along or they don't . while i was there i managed to learn everything needed within my first days working there. i worked with this company for 4 years can say i enjoyed most of my time there learnt many new skills meet alot of great poeple working here helped me come out of my shell abit i got my certifcate in pretrim awareness etc. management were okay just standard normal most the people were an enjoyment to work with while others had issues think hardest bit of the job was when machinary decided to breakdown out having to wait for them to get fixed and having pileups with products because of this . enjoyable times would be when everyone was in a good mood it made the runs move fast time just flew by

Pros

Smoko always a good laugh

Cons

long draining hours on days everything wouldn't work properly

fun workplace, good co-workers

Fun work place, good co-workers, but would like all year round work to provide for my family.

Labourer

I really enjoyed working as a team and everyone are so friendly and polite. I learnt how to cut trim meat and fat etc. The hardest part would have to be trying to keep my knife sharp all day while the chain was going fast but in the end i managed. The most enjoyable part was packing the offal and putting stickers on the boxes and sending them away overseas. It just made you feel good about being able to send it and to provide the lovely meat we produce in our country.

Pros

a good team to work with

i have had the good luck of working it some fantastic teams while working at spm

Pros

team players

Cons

team players

Ask a question about working or interviewing at South Pacific Meats. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• South Pacific Meats
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?