Spark
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Spark Employee Reviews

New Zealand61 reviews
Dynamic and interesting work with very knowledgeable team. Potentially a great place to work but let down by poor management who seem to constantly changing their roles and the company changing for ever changing focus and direction.Difficult to progress one’s career unless “chummy“ with certain senior management (and too many middle managers ingratiating themselves to this effect)). Very authoritarian management at upper levels.
Pros
Lots of employee benefits. I estimated perhaps $18K of value). Inc. Health insurance, life insurance, extremely wide range of good discounts with some top organisations/ retailers, mobile phone in many roles with generous call plans, etc)
Cons
Poor management, long hours, stressful environment, little support or awareness from management
Hours given are insufficient to cover expenses, and wage is a living wage, with the recruitment company taking a cut of that. The role I am in requires no dress code, and the staff are all friendly and helpful, and training is good.
Pros
Casual workplace with a lot of downtime
Cons
low pay, few hours
With Monday and Friday in Wellington, and Tuesday thru Thursday in Auckland as the on site face of Spark, was full on. As well as the normal PM functions the role included: - Providing Spark work safe requirements to subcontractors -Chairing daily early morning tool box meetings and reporting on these meetings to a large stakeholder audience -finding solutions to unusual problems caused by the customer environment, the complexity of the solution and a myriad of political issues - turned around the work place culture to become a collaborative supportive team -keeping the team focused on achieving the outcome as requirements and priorities changed. -Completing the work and the feedback from all parties of the value I added.
Good place to work with friendly environment only healthy competition but want to build myself so seeking for opportunities to grab that so that I can gain more knowledge.
The culture at Spark changes hugely depending where in the company you work. In sales or customer service it is very structured, breaks are taken at an exact time, your targets are difficult and you are chastised for any form of fun really. When you move beyond the entry level sales and customer service and begin to experience more of the business you get to see it's worth the benefits of working here, the staff are great and usually the hours can be flexible. Once you get off the ground floor easy 4/5
Spark is a very good company to work with, so much learning experience and growth opportunities. The working environment is so great. Managers are so supportive.
I didn't like it at spark. The management was always changing didn't really know what was happening the next work day. It was really unorganized and too expensive to travel to the city and quite frankly not worth going to work for.
Seems to be a common theme with these reviews to mention terrible management and its absolutely true. Never have I had a manager that makes me feel on my own, unsupportive and outright incapable of running any sort of team. The pay here is completely terrible for not only the work load you have but the standard it needs to be completed to. Expect to be abused by customers, not cared about by management and under paid. I did not have much expectation when I joined spark but it is yet another job with too much responsibility plagued by sales culture with nowhere to go in the future. I did not like this job, by far the worst job I have worked to date. Only reason it gets 2 stars is for the other awesome employees we had.
gain more knowledge about different type. of customer. know more about technology, learn different tools, get the chance to solve the customer problem. get good Inps sore by the customer by giving them wright service to satisfy them.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Spark?
Overall Spark was fine, but during y tenure spark was going through restructure. All of that was ok but the new management that they made things worst for people who were performing great. New commission structure was very demotivating. People who were promoted for manager actually had no idea what they were doing. They made themselves look stupid on numerous occasions. I don't blame spark for those changes, as they had to do something to compete in the market. Only the new management in later part of my job was terrible, that is why i left the company.
Frequent restructuring, Constant change is leadership strategy, Poor employee retention policy. Absoutely no stability on the role or the responsibility. Poor work culture
Spark was excellent whilst I worked for the organisation. Always challenges, great medical insurance policy and work culture. I'd definitely work at Spark again or recommend a position there.
When they hired me they failed to provide me adequate training and actually had me decorating the office for some team competition they had going on. I was bullied during my time here by one of my team leads, sucessfully taking the case to HR. It seems to be that Spark has a culture of bullying here also as the other team leaders are passive aggressive and unhelpful in times of need. They dont give raises unless you focus on calls and not ticket quality, they dont even bother to log tickets properly and so I cant take the "skills" ive learned to my new job. They, at least, taught me what I don't want from a job role and for that i am appreciative.
Pros
Great Team members
Cons
Terrible management
Spark a good place to work, good people and a good team spirit but the level of Salary for the role could be better. Good work culture access to learn
Pros
phone benefits
Cons
salary is not the best
The people make the place good. If you manage to move up internally don't expect the pay to increase. Pay increases are usually once every three years and when they are given usually are only a percent at most. Really good benefits. Spark have a decent work life balance with summer hour policies (work 4 days with 3 days off)
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Pay, no pay increases
Your job will change every 6 months, possibly becoming redundant. Good company to work for if you can cope with uncertainty. Know people who have stayed for 20 years!
Pros
Good opportunities
Cons
Re-orgs
Advantage - Decent Salary, Good benefit, insurance Disadvantage- Not much development, Not really good management. lots of pressure. Dealing with angry customer's, some time they swear at you(You don't get salary for that). I sell lots and I am one of they best sale's man in the store. I been working for spark almost 4 years. The management not giving me any chance to improve as development in career. This job is for students or someone who wants to do part time. I love technology, love phones and computer's. I love to sell the latest technologies and share the knowledge to customers. but company wants as to sell more accessories than phones, which is really hard for me as because I passionate about phones rather than accessories like speaker, head set and etc
Cons
I was looking to work and excel in field of sales and customer services & looking for successful and challenging career related my study and my focus to grow and develop in the current business scenario by utilising my skills, experiences and qualifications. As I am very target oriented, self-motivated and hard working person; and desire to achieve my goals within the given time frame with quality. So I found SPARK NZ as a perfect package for me to enhance my skills. Great company to work for and great work culture with weekly incentives.
Spark culture is management centered and you can expect little or no support. Employee surveys appear to get used against staff who don't rate Spark well. The manager I had was a bully I thought, and left me unsupported on many occasions. If you are thinking about working for Spark, I caution you, they pay poorly, and are very demanding and unpleasant.
Pros
Cons
Lomg hours, poor pay, arrogant managers
Good work culture and friendly people where we could get maximum support to improve our knowledge. Fun working environment and focus more improvement on the process oriented.
Good culture and work/life balance but salary is definitely under industry standard. - a place that you can learn a lot. - most of people are adorable but everything is operating too slow.
Pros
good culture
Cons
low pay