Spark
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Spark Employee Reviews

New Zealand60 reviews
Very casual workplace
Hours given are insufficient to cover expenses, and wage is a living wage, with the recruitment company taking a cut of that. The role I am in requires no dress code, and the staff are all friendly and helpful, and training is good.
Pros
Casual workplace with a lot of downtime
Cons
low pay, few hours
Complex, difficult, fulfilling
With Monday and Friday in Wellington, and Tuesday thru Thursday in Auckland as the on site face of Spark, was full on.
As well as the normal PM functions the role included:

- Providing Spark work safe requirements to subcontractors

-Chairing daily early morning tool box meetings and reporting on these meetings to a large stakeholder audience

-finding solutions to unusual problems caused by the customer environment, the complexity of the solution and a myriad of political issues

- turned around the work place culture to become a collaborative supportive team

-keeping the team focused on achieving the outcome as requirements and priorities changed.

-Completing the work and the feedback from all parties of the value I added.
Working from Tuesday to Saturday
Good place to work with friendly environment only healthy competition but want to build myself so seeking for opportunities to grab that so that I can gain more knowledge.
Depends what role you have
The culture at Spark changes hugely depending where in the company you work. In sales or customer service it is very structured, breaks are taken at an exact time, your targets are difficult and you are chastised for any form of fun really. When you move beyond the entry level sales and customer service and begin to experience more of the business you get to see it's worth the benefits of working here, the staff are great and usually the hours can be flexible. Once you get off the ground floor easy 4/5
Very Good Company
Spark is a very good company to work with, so much learning experience and growth opportunities. The working environment is so great. Managers are so supportive.
It was too far from home and very expensive to travel to work.
I didn't like it at spark. The management was always changing didn't really know what was happening the next work day. It was really unorganized and too expensive to travel to the city and quite frankly not worth going to work for.
Worst job so far
Seems to be a common theme with these reviews to mention terrible management and its absolutely true.
Never have I had a manager that makes me feel on my own, unsupportive and outright incapable of running any sort of team.

The pay here is completely terrible for not only the work load you have but the standard it needs to be completed to. Expect to be abused by customers, not cared about by management and under paid.

I did not have much expectation when I joined spark but it is yet another job with too much responsibility plagued by sales culture with nowhere to go in the future.

I did not like this job, by far the worst job I have worked to date.

Only reason it gets 2 stars is for the other awesome employees we had.
gain knowledge
gain more knowledge about different type. of customer. know more about technology, learn different tools, get the chance to solve the customer problem. get good Inps sore by the customer by giving them wright service to satisfy them.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Spark?
Table tennis was a very big positive.
Overall Spark was fine, but during y tenure spark was going through restructure. All of that was ok but the new management that they made things worst for people who were performing great.

New commission structure was very demotivating. People who were promoted for manager actually had no idea what they were doing. They made themselves look stupid on numerous occasions.

I don't blame spark for those changes, as they had to do something to compete in the market.

Only the new management in later part of my job was terrible, that is why i left the company.
Great place to learn work
Frequent restructuring, Constant change is leadership strategy, Poor employee retention policy. Absoutely no stability on the role or the responsibility. Poor work culture
Excellent processes, professional colleagues and interesting positions
Spark was excellent whilst I worked for the organisation. Always challenges, great medical insurance policy and work culture. I'd definitely work at Spark again or recommend a position there.
Terrible company to work for long term.
When they hired me they failed to provide me adequate training and actually had me decorating the office for some team competition they had going on.

I was bullied during my time here by one of my team leads, sucessfully taking the case to HR. It seems to be that Spark has a culture of bullying here also as the other team leaders are passive aggressive and unhelpful in times of need.

They dont give raises unless you focus on calls and not ticket quality, they dont even bother to log tickets properly and so I cant take the "skills" ive learned to my new job.

They, at least, taught me what I don't want from a job role and for that i am appreciative.
Pros
Great Team members
Cons
Terrible management
enjoyable place to work
Spark a good place to work, good people and a good team spirit but the level of Salary for the role could be better. Good work culture access to learn
Pros
phone benefits
Cons
salary is not the best
Good on the surface
The people make the place good.
If you manage to move up internally don't expect the pay to increase.

Pay increases are usually once every three years and when they are given usually are only a percent at most.

Really good benefits.

Spark have a decent work life balance with summer hour policies (work 4 days with 3 days off)
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Pay, no pay increases
Re-org every 6 mnths
Your job will change every 6 months, possibly becoming redundant. Good company to work for if you can cope with uncertainty. Know people who have stayed for 20 years!
Pros
Good opportunities
Cons
Re-orgs
Not gain anything
Advantage - Decent Salary, Good benefit, insurance

Disadvantage- Not much development, Not really good management. lots of pressure.

Dealing with angry customer's, some time they swear at you(You don't get salary for that). I sell lots and I am one of they best sale's man in the store. I been working for spark almost 4 years. The management not giving me any chance to improve as development in career.

This job is for students or someone who wants to do part time.

I love technology, love phones and computer's. I love to sell the latest technologies and share the knowledge to customers. but company wants as to sell more accessories than phones, which is really hard for me as because I passionate about phones rather than accessories like speaker, head set and etc
Cons
Fun & learning place to work
I was looking to work and excel in field of sales and customer services & looking for successful and challenging career related my study and my focus to grow and develop in the current business scenario by utilising my skills, experiences and qualifications. As I am very target oriented, self-motivated and hard working person; and desire to achieve my goals within the given time frame with quality. So I found SPARK NZ as a perfect package for me to enhance my skills. Great company to work for and great work culture with weekly incentives.
Not good, actually poorest employer in my experience
Spark culture is management centered and you can expect little or no support. Employee surveys appear to get used against staff who don't rate Spark well.

The manager I had was a bully I thought, and left me unsupported on many occasions.

If you are thinking about working for Spark, I caution you, they pay poorly, and are very demanding and unpleasant.
Pros
Cons
Lomg hours, poor pay, arrogant managers
Productive and fun place
Good work culture and friendly people where we could get maximum support to improve our knowledge.

Fun working environment and focus more improvement on the process oriented.
Good culture and work/life balance but salary under industry standard
Good culture and work/life balance but salary is definitely under industry standard.

- a place that you can learn a lot.

- most of people are adorable but everything is operating too slow.
Pros
good culture
Cons
low pay
Interactive growing company
Depending on where you are based you may have a pretty relaxed role or you may be ran off your feet. For the most part, there wasn't much down time.

It was great environment to learn and advance your career. You need to put yourself out there and work hard. Opportunities are not just handed to you.

If you are in the sales or customer service part of the business you will most definitely deal with conflict and confrontation - this is a part of the job and you must be prepared for this.

Spark is steadily building a better culture within its company and that makes for a friendly and supportive environment to work in. Although thousands of people work for Spark, I felt I played an important role in the company and made a difference.
Pros
A large amount of benefits outside and within the comany