Spark Employee Reviews

Excellent processes, professional colleagues and interesting positions
Senior Product Manager, Wholesale (Former Employee) –  Auckland CBD, Auckland21 August 2019
Spark was excellent whilst I worked for the organisation. Always challenges, great medical insurance policy and work culture. I'd definitely work at Spark again or recommend a position there.
Terrible company to work for long term.
Service Desk Analyst (Former Employee) –  Auckland CBD, Auckland8 July 2019
When they hired me they failed to provide me adequate training and actually had me decorating the office for some team competition they had going on.

I was bullied during my time here by one of my team leads, sucessfully taking the case to HR. It seems to be that Spark has a culture of bullying here also as the other team leaders are passive aggressive and unhelpful in times of need.

They dont give raises unless you focus on calls and not ticket quality, they dont even bother to log tickets properly and so I cant take the "skills" ive learned to my new job.

They, at least, taught me what I don't want from a job role and for that i am appreciative.
Pros
Great Team members
Cons
Terrible management
enjoyable place to work
Insight Analyst (Spark New Zealand Limited) (Former Employee) –  Auckland CBD8 June 2019
Spark a good place to work, good people and a good team spirit but the level of Salary for the role could be better. Good work culture access to learn
Pros
phone benefits
Cons
salary is not the best
Good on the surface
Service Delivery Manager (Current Employee) –  Wellington Central, Wellington3 May 2019
The people make the place good.
If you manage to move up internally don't expect the pay to increase.
Pay increases are usually once every three years and when they are given usually are only a percent at most.
Really good benefits.
Spark have a decent work life balance with summer hour policies (work 4 days with 3 days off)
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Pay, no pay increases
Re-org every 6 mnths
Senior Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Wellington City, Wellington17 April 2019
Your job will change every 6 months, possibly becoming redundant. Good company to work for if you can cope with uncertainty. Know people who have stayed for 20 years!
Pros
Good opportunities
Cons
Re-orgs
Not gain anything
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Canterbury11 January 2019
Advantage - Decent Salary, Good benefit, insurance

Disadvantage- Not much development, Not really good management. lots of pressure.

Dealing with angry customer's, some time they swear at you(You don't get salary for that). I sell lots and I am one of they best sale's man in the store. I been working for spark almost 4 years. The management not giving me any chance to improve as development in career.

This job is for students or someone who wants to do part time.

I love technology, love phones and computer's. I love to sell the latest technologies and share the knowledge to customers. but company wants as to sell more accessories than phones, which is really hard for me as because I passionate about phones rather than accessories like speaker, head set and etc
Cons
Fun & learning place to work
ICT SALES ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Hamilton18 November 2018
I was looking to work and excel in field of sales and customer services & looking for successful and challenging career related my study and my focus to grow and develop in the current business scenario by utilising my skills, experiences and qualifications. As I am very target oriented, self-motivated and hard working person; and desire to achieve my goals within the given time frame with quality. So I found SPARK NZ as a perfect package for me to enhance my skills. Great company to work for and great work culture with weekly incentives.
Not good, actually poorest employer in my experience
Agent At Home (Former Employee) –  Wellington10 October 2018
Spark culture is management centered and you can expect little or no support. Employee surveys appear to get used against staff who don't rate Spark well.

The manager I had was a bully I thought, and left me unsupported on many occasions.

If you are thinking about working for Spark, I caution you, they pay poorly, and are very demanding and unpleasant.
Pros
Cons
Lomg hours, poor pay, arrogant managers
Productive and fun place
Business Test Manager (Former Employee) –  Newzealand7 September 2018
Good work culture and friendly people where we could get maximum support to improve our knowledge.

Fun working environment and focus more improvement on the process oriented.
Good culture and work/life balance but salary under industry standard
BDM (Former Employee) –  Auckland28 August 2018
Good culture and work/life balance but salary is definitely under industry standard.

- a place that you can learn a lot.

- most of people are adorable but everything is operating too slow.
Pros
good culture
Cons
low pay
Interactive growing company
Communications Consultant (Former Employee) –  Nelson, Nelson27 August 2018
Depending on where you are based you may have a pretty relaxed role or you may be ran off your feet. For the most part, there wasn't much down time.

It was great environment to learn and advance your career. You need to put yourself out there and work hard. Opportunities are not just handed to you.

If you are in the sales or customer service part of the business you will most definitely deal with conflict and confrontation - this is a part of the job and you must be prepared for this.

Spark is steadily building a better culture within its company and that makes for a friendly and supportive environment to work in. Although thousands of people work for Spark, I felt I played an important role in the company and made a difference.
Pros
A large amount of benefits outside and within the comany
Poor Direct management
Customer Services Rep (Sales) (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, Waikato25 March 2018
Job involved answering incoming calls from residential customers, resolving billing issues and up selling to other spark products and services. I learned the art of adjusted your personality to meet your clients. I felt under appreciated by direct management which played a part in the decision to seek other opportunities. Due to poor management the culture was becoming less engaged as my people were finding employment elsewhere. The hardest part of the job was not feeling valued especially when you are a high achiever. I did however enjoy the sales conversations and meeting new people.
Pros
Spark credit
Cons
direct management
Spark New Zealand
Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  NZ12 March 2018
Good company to work for. Flexible work situation.
Spark NZ
CBD - Position - Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Auckland CBD, Auckland6 February 2018
Great workplace environment, very diverse. I would definitely recommend working here, development growth. Management is great as well and you will not regret it.
Productive workplace
Staff (Current Employee) –  Auckland CBD, Auckland4 December 2017
I found that spark overall is a good place to work.
The management and other workers are relatively friendly and productive in general. However the hours are bad and the pay is minimal.
Challenging technical environment to learn & develop skills
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Auckland16 October 2017
Flexible working hours and great colleges to work with, A typical day can involve many and varied technical challenges and is a great place to experience and learn new technology.
Management do a good job of communicating the strategy, values and goals but staff are not valued or supported in terms of commitment to ongoing growth and development.
While staff are loyal to the company the company shows no loyalty to staff.
Pros
Good salary & benefits package
Cons
Staff undervalued. Little commitment to ongoing career development
very fun place to work, great people
front desk opperator (Current Employee) –  Dunedin, Otago16 October 2017
The Staff at Spark Business Hub Dunedin are a great bunch of people to be around, I enjoy working with them when I am needed. I enjoy working there because everyone gets along
Pros
free lunch usually
Cons
only called in like once a month
Good environment with good benefits
Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  Christchurch, Canterbury1 October 2017
No two same days. Good environment for development in sale career. Good bonus with good management. However, the sale target is stressful but I got a lot of kind instructions and supports from management and co-workers
Solid
AMS operator and Site Coordinator (Former Employee) –  NZ23 September 2017
Not well liked by the public in NZ which can often make dealing with customers difficult. Internally very strong direct managers throughout my time were extremely supportive and always encouraging. Growth opportunities for those who seek them.
Pros
Internal structure.
Cons
Negative reputation.
Fun workplace. Could be hard at times
Communications Consultant - Part Time (Current Employee) –  Dunedin, Otago21 September 2017
Amazing company that intend to provide a fun environment. As an old traditional brand that is moving towards digitalisation era, there are a lot more to improve, but there are constant improvements, that's what count!

Job would get hard at times as customers might be narrow minded and easily blaming, otherwise all is good!
Pros
corporate phone plan, advance opportunities
Cons
unpredictable customers