Spark
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Spark Management reviews

Table tennis was a very big positive.
Overall Spark was fine, but during y tenure spark was going through restructure. All of that was ok but the new management that they made things worst for people who were performing great.

New commission structure was very demotivating. People who were promoted for manager actually had no idea what they were doing. They made themselves look stupid on numerous occasions.

I don't blame spark for those changes, as they had to do something to compete in the market.

Only the new management in later part of my job was terrible, that is why i left the company.
It was too far from home and very expensive to travel to work.
I didn't like it at spark. The management was always changing didn't really know what was happening the next work day. It was really unorganized and too expensive to travel to the city and quite frankly not worth going to work for.
Worst job so far
Seems to be a common theme with these reviews to mention terrible management and its absolutely true.
Never have I had a manager that makes me feel on my own, unsupportive and outright incapable of running any sort of team.

The pay here is completely terrible for not only the work load you have but the standard it needs to be completed to. Expect to be abused by customers, not cared about by management and under paid.

I did not have much expectation when I joined spark but it is yet another job with too much responsibility plagued by sales culture with nowhere to go in the future.

I did not like this job, by far the worst job I have worked to date.

Only reason it gets 2 stars is for the other awesome employees we had.
Great place to learn work
Frequent restructuring, Constant change is leadership strategy, Poor employee retention policy. Absoutely no stability on the role or the responsibility. Poor work culture
Terrible company to work for long term.
When they hired me they failed to provide me adequate training and actually had me decorating the office for some team competition they had going on.

I was bullied during my time here by one of my team leads, sucessfully taking the case to HR. It seems to be that Spark has a culture of bullying here also as the other team leaders are passive aggressive and unhelpful in times of need.

They dont give raises unless you focus on calls and not ticket quality, they dont even bother to log tickets properly and so I cant take the "skills" ive learned to my new job.

They, at least, taught me what I don't want from a job role and for that i am appreciative.
Pros
Great Team members
Cons
Terrible management
Not gain anything
Advantage - Decent Salary, Good benefit, insurance

Disadvantage- Not much development, Not really good management. lots of pressure.

Dealing with angry customer's, some time they swear at you(You don't get salary for that). I sell lots and I am one of they best sale's man in the store. I been working for spark almost 4 years. The management not giving me any chance to improve as development in career.

This job is for students or someone who wants to do part time.

I love technology, love phones and computer's. I love to sell the latest technologies and share the knowledge to customers. but company wants as to sell more accessories than phones, which is really hard for me as because I passionate about phones rather than accessories like speaker, head set and etc
Cons
Not good, actually poorest employer in my experience
Spark culture is management centered and you can expect little or no support. Employee surveys appear to get used against staff who don't rate Spark well.

The manager I had was a bully I thought, and left me unsupported on many occasions.

If you are thinking about working for Spark, I caution you, they pay poorly, and are very demanding and unpleasant.
Pros
Cons
Lomg hours, poor pay, arrogant managers
Poor Direct management
Job involved answering incoming calls from residential customers, resolving billing issues and up selling to other spark products and services. I learned the art of adjusted your personality to meet your clients. I felt under appreciated by direct management which played a part in the decision to seek other opportunities. Due to poor management the culture was becoming less engaged as my people were finding employment elsewhere. The hardest part of the job was not feeling valued especially when you are a high achiever. I did however enjoy the sales conversations and meeting new people.
Pros
Spark credit
Cons
direct management
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Spark?
Spark NZ
Great workplace environment, very diverse. I would definitely recommend working here, development growth. Management is great as well and you will not regret it.
Productive workplace
I found that spark overall is a good place to work.
The management and other workers are relatively friendly and productive in general. However the hours are bad and the pay is minimal.
Challenging technical environment to learn & develop skills
Flexible working hours and great colleges to work with, A typical day can involve many and varied technical challenges and is a great place to experience and learn new technology.
Management do a good job of communicating the strategy, values and goals but staff are not valued or supported in terms of commitment to ongoing growth and development.
While staff are loyal to the company the company shows no loyalty to staff.
Pros
Good salary & benefits package
Cons
Staff undervalued. Little commitment to ongoing career development
Good environment with good benefits
No two same days. Good environment for development in sale career. Good bonus with good management. However, the sale target is stressful but I got a lot of kind instructions and supports from management and co-workers
Solid
Not well liked by the public in NZ which can often make dealing with customers difficult. Internally very strong direct managers throughout my time were extremely supportive and always encouraging. Growth opportunities for those who seek them.
Pros
Internal structure.
Cons
Negative reputation.
Fun place to work
Great place to work, good culture. All willing help and learn from each other.
management is always supportive and backs you up when where needed.
We have full support from whole team.
Amazing people to work with
Most of my day is spent on diary management. Interactions with various people around the business as I work for a key leadership member who deals with important portfolios in the business. So many people want to get into his calendar especially the suppliers and having to sort diaries and managing my manager's time is essential. I also look after the smooth running of the floor of 168 people with the help of the administrators. I've learned to share responsibilities with the team administrators and delegate when required. Management is very supportive and the people here work so well together. We have lots of fun together and socialise whenever we can. Making sure that the invoices come in on time from Suppliers for payment as we have to ring and get them to send it on time so that our accruals are accurate. Love working with the teams on the floor. My Manager is very caring and well respected around the business. It makes it worthwhile waking in the morning and coming in to work for him.
Pros
Friday night get togethers either in the office or outside the office
Cons
The constant changes
work hard and play hard
Productive, excellent learning. Employee oriented. Good work life balance. poor management organization. Good place to learn telecom domain knowledge.
Complex working enviroment
Spark is currently going through some very complex management in infrastructural changes, this has made the working environment fractured.
The people who work there are however very willing and capable, and they work hard towards the common goal.
Overall Review
Average work place. Good place for the beginners. Balanced work life culture. Little room for growth and development. Overall average company to work with.
Pros
Average work culture
Cons
Poor management
Lots of work and good work life balance which accounts for good working condition
Good place to work along with some supportive colleagues. A bit of politics involved with higher management but i tried to stay out of it. Good place to work if you wanted to show your potential and had an apptitude for more work.
Its an interesting and challenging workplace with lots of scope to find different jobs that interest you.
My work typically starts at 8am occasionally earlier and finishes as late as 8pm. First priority is to deal with overnight service and delivery issues.

This determines the path my day follows. My working day has 2 paths firstly escalations and coaching, typically customer facing, and then working with the service and delivery teams on project outcomes.

The second path is Solution Design and Sales either dealing with incorrectly contracted work or redesigning to meet customer contract outcomes.

30% of my day is vendor management directly with Chorus or Third Party Integrators.

What I learned: You can never listen hard enough to the customer.

Management: I have had 8 remote managers in under 6 years. You learn to be self supporting and resilient.

Co-workers: The coolest team imaginable - they are all leaders and incredibly good at what they do. They are fun to be around.

Hardest Part Of the Job: Complete lack of role definitions and the constant struggle to provide the simple outcomes that customers need for their businesses to succeed.

Most Enjoyable Part Of the Job: Getting wins for the customer where none else can't. Designing Really good service outcomes end to end.
Pros
Free Telephone and Internet. Warm place to work. (Exchange buildings make a lot of heat).
Cons
Long Hours, Lack of Role Definition.
Politics demoralise people
Organisation management is unstable. Few team players but too many managers in authority. You are expected to do all the tasks.Good diverse technologies.
Pros
Good concession
Cons
Politics