Specsavers
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews
Here to help
Coronavirus update
Information from Specsavers:

Specsavers Employee Reviews

New Zealand8 reviews
Specsavers Lower Hutt is a good workplace. Very strong management. Other things like Job Work/Life Balance

Job Culture are also good
My company was great. In the beginning i didn't know anything about optics but with the help of my directors they prepared me and made me senior dispenser with in a year. I was the topper in sales while my work time. I learned many things like how to deal with grumpy customers and how handle the situation in super busy time. If i would be still working there might become the store Manager of that company too. I love my all staff Members. Had a great journey with them.
I enjoyed working with the customers, although as with all retail jobs, customer service can be very draining sometimes.
The hardest part of the job was trying to juggle too many things as our store was understaffed and our management refused to hire more staff. Our director also had a really bad habit of disappearing from the store when she was supposed to be working with no notice or explanation. Hence we would have four staff running the store on days when we really needed 6 or 7 which is really exhausting, particularly as our management did not appreciate it or value the hard work we were doing.

Our store went from being 2nd in NZ for our team culture and customer service, to be one of the bottom performing stores in less then a year due to our director and store manager basically running the store into the ground.

Overall a good company, but because each store is franchised there is no consistency between them and unfortunately The Base store has been ruined by toxic management.

The staff in our store were being paid <$8 less an hour then what head office was recommending and what other stores where paying their staff members.
Pros
good staff discounts, nice stores
Cons
toxic management, underpaid, undervalued, micromanaged, favouritism
Optics is an amazing career to choose and i had alot of fun doing it. You learnt something new everyday and got to help people on a daily basis. The atmosphere at the particular shop I worked at wasnt that great though.
Pros
Interesting
Cons
Working as an optical assistant is not what I expected it to be, there is lots to learn about not just placing a pair of frames on a customer. There is testing of the eyes and the health care side of things. The hardest part of my job would be that there were always questions that I could not answer so the customer would have to wait for the optometrist, but in that case I was learning new things all the time. The most enjoyable part of my job was the people I worked with and the satisfaction of customers leaving happy.
I learnt a lot while working at Specsavers, one thing being how good I can be a some things. My confidence definitely grew, which was not a bad thing. I felt really good about working for such a great company. The director of the store was fantastic and despite some problems with the store manager, the boss was supportive and helped us through it. I loved working with the team and going out for social dinners together. The customers at our store were usually very nice people who made my job easy.
Pros
New glasses
Cons
Had to relocate and leave
Every day staff are lovely to work for and seeing customers walk out with any concerns fully addressed and feeling amazing in the glasses we have pick for them makes this job worth working at. I truly love the job and being able to help people 100%. Sadly the boss is a difficult person to work for and treats everyone as if they are below him so it can be hard working in an environment like that but its just one of the challenges you face when working for any company and how you let it affect you and your work is up to you. I always gave 100% in my work and served every customer as if they were the first one i served no matter how the boss was treating me.
Pros
Free sight tests and discounts on glasses
Cons
Boss was difficult to work with
A day at work would start by cleaning all the mirrors and checking frames were where they should be, starting up the computers, checking the answer phone, taking the cash to the bank and making sure all the stock gaps were filled.

I learned about the different lens types and how to explain the difference to customers, how to get the ball rolling with open questions and I also learned what frames were best for certain lens types.
Pros
free coffee
Cons
moody staff