St John Ambulance
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

St John Ambulance Employee Reviews

New Zealand7 reviews
A place were you need to think on you feet in often challenging environment no two days are the same. In service training and advancement opportunities are available. You will either be working shift work on a rotating 2 days two nights and four days off or an alternative shift system made up of day and evening shift. I f you work in management then day shifts only.
Being an Ambo is the best job in the world, St John are the worst employer. There is a management clique who have been around for over 15 years,unless your face fits they will find a way to make your life difficuly. (e.g post you at stations that require long drive times, find reasons to review minor cases and hold performance reviews after stressful jobs at the end of shifts, call you on days off to check an item of paper work). Career development will be at your expense, (limited subsidies for post grad courses) and there is no transparency in selection processes.

Toe the line and you'll be fine is the new grad mantra.
Very high demand, accurate but self managing role.
Really enjoyed becoming highly skilled in this profession.

A lot of professional and personal learning in this position!

The worst company in my career I've worked for in terms of quality management and looking after their valuable staff.
Pros
Work/life balance
Cons
Long history of intimidating, unprofessional management
While most of the shifts I worked were quiet, I enjoyed the variety the job brings. Most staff were supportive. Great ongoing training, strong management.
Pros
Great team atmospher
Cons
12 hours shift often very quiet.
A typical day at work was arriving at an ED loading stabilised patients onto stretchers and into the Ambulance. What I learned from this job was the importance of team work and communication among doctors, nurses, nursing management and the patient and their family.
I loved doing this work as I learned people skills. Mostly you needed to have a sense of humour and be professional at all times. Integrity and honesty are very high on my list of values.

The most challenging role I had, was the Health & Safety Rep for the Hauraki - Cormandel St John District. Personalities and ones interpretation of the laws and trying to explain the changes coming.

This role I had for three years
Thoroughly enjoyed all aspects of this job and in particular being able to be of assistance to persons in need. This job comprised both emergency medical and accident care as well as patient transfers. Documentation for ACC and Medical practitioners was a major requirement
Pros
Helping people
Cons
Strange hours/shift work
a typical day is ensuring your vehicle and equipment is ready to go preparing yourself for the day mentally. going over medical procedures and paperwork. my co workers are great we are there for a reason and we all strive to do our utmost best we rely on each other for advice and strength. we learn to conduct our selves professionally in all circumstances even when people around us are in despair we maintain our dignity while being compassionate and especially showing empathy towards others. management are always there when we need them and go out of there way to help.the hardest part of the job is the human person what they go thru and what they experience, the most enjoyable part of the job is helping them thru and being there with them.
Pros
satisfaction and being respected by the community where ever we go
Cons
traffic
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at St John Ambulance?