Subway

Subway Employee Reviews

New Zealand139 reviews

3.5Work–Life Balance

Found 139 reviews matching the searchSee all 55,806 reviews

Bad customers are the only downfall

Good place to work depending in which store you are at. Have worked for 2 different stores and its definitely dependant on owner/manager. 1st job at subway picton was amazing, great bosses, organized and plenty of staff, 2nd job at subway tasman was horrible, management had no idea how to run the place and closing took 3 hours due to slack management and staff.

The most enjoyable part of the job was busy time

It was a good time to work with subwayI'm very glad to this company that gives me an opportunity to grow my career. A very good environment to work with this company and unforgettable moments when I was starting the job and many things I had learnt to end the job. Thank you subway.

Pros

Free meal for employees

God and funny

I liked it it was very fun and funny. I water all food and eat lots and not get big fiat. Very fun expericne would work again. P,ease eat at subway no mcdonald

Fun and stressful both

Good experience and stressful also. Need more management and more staff to handle the pressure. But in the beginning you can learn and earn as well.

Fast pace and also slow pace

Face pace during lunch hours 12-2 but after that it's super chill just refilling veggies. And meat, it's relatively hard to learn the menu though I relised

Chill but not great pay

Can get quite busy during lunch hours but staff and management are lovely to work for. Chill about days off, but pay is training wage for six months when you start. Not many hours but ideal for a first job.

Pros

Free Food on Shift

Cons

Not many shifts

Hardest part of the job

When customers blame us workers for not having stock when in reality its because subway imports alot of food. The customers can be quite rude but it's not all of them.Can be quite a demanding job for just minimum wage have worked there for over 2 years and no pay rise

Pros

Pretty easy

a bit boring

Well its a job, you get paid. Just a bit boring because- well at my place at least, there was few customers. But all and all great job and yeah thats it aye.

Fast paced but fun

As a first job, it is pretty good. Management is tough and compliance is strict but if you do your job correctly then it is fine. Made some great friends over 2 1/2 years, quiet shifts are really fun being able to chill when all jobs are done. The franchise owner can be unprofessional and unhelpful when it comes to scheduling shifts when you can actually work but that would depend entirely on the store rather than the job itself. There are not really any opportunities for promotion and depending on the franchise you may find that you will never receive more than minimum wage, even if you are a top employee and have worked for a long time :(

Pros

half price sandwiches wraps and salads

Cons

no fixed hours and no pay rises/promotion opportunities

Depressing workplace bad management

No breaks over worked staff, management are a pack of bullysGet staff to sell expired products and work double shifts because they don't want to help find cover they'll even make you work while vomiting

It's not bad as a first job but...

It's not bad as a first job but... if you have worked somewhere else before, this job will be a letdown. I was a summer casual at a mall beverage place (think starbucks) prior to this job so I thought I had some idea on what its going to be like at least in terms of customer service and cleaning, however I was so wrong. I was hired super quickly as they needed staff due to many of previous staff in isolation. But the moment I entered they expected I know everything? Like I was just someone who worked at another subway. There is no actual training and no one directs you on what to do, the job itself is straightforward but you need to know what you're doing which they don't bother teaching you. The management is really insane, I know your experience would change from store to store due to different franchise owners, but my experience was so bad. I said my desired hours are 20hrs a week as I'm a student but I would only be rostered on 2 three-hour shifts a week and get called in everyday when no body showed up. The instore manager was horrible, she kept telling me I wasn't fast or efficient enough literally from the first day. There weren't even any lines or anything. The staff were nice enough but no one actually thought of teaching you or even helped when you asked. I honestly regretted joining since the first day. I guess if I was younger or I really needed a job I would've stayed but if you've worked in a fast food environment I guess its alright.

Casual

Very High stress workplace but okay for a part time job after school, or during uni. the fact the each store is owned individually means that each owner can get away with whatever they want and will try to under pay their staff.

Pros

Free Subs

Cons

Toxic Managment

friendly environment and nice food

It was an honour to be there. the people there are nice and the customers are also nice. It was close to my home so saves the travel.I enjoy making healthy food for the public.

About the job

It can be long hours with little thanks people can be quick to blame slow to own up when mistakes are made if you like a fun environment to work in not always the case.You are not always able to take breaks because most of the time you are on your own

Pros

Cheap food

Cons

Little to no thanks

Don't unless you're desperate

Maybe I have a bias about any type of work but subway is like any fast food outlet, it's meanial you are on your feet all day and you learn to hate every customer who walks through the door. But hey its work right? If you have even slight mental health issues I would avoid jobs like this.

Overall good starter job

I enjoyed the work as it was great money for a beginner and provided work experience. Now I am looking for something new that will allow me to go somewhere in life.

Pros

Good pay for younger people getting their first job

Cons

Not great for paying rent and supplying basic needs

Great

I would gladly work here again, great staff in a fast paced, hands on learning environment. The crew were supportive and passionate, uplifting and cheerful. A company full of life.

awesome

it was great to work there. i have had a experience of customer service as well. greet customer with politely. ready to work at any time any situation.

A good company on a normal day

Friendly welcoming, helping, understand and patient hard work really challenging but overall awesome and good easy learning team work is also really good. If anyone needs a hand some one is always there to help

Good experience

When I was working there I learnt how to deal with customers and taking order.A part from that I increased my self-confidence as well as I became more self-independent.

Good experience, learning different tasks and team members.

I have learned multitasking skills such as making a sandwich, preparing food and cashiers. I could manage customers who waited the sandwich during preparing food. The hardest part is managing time with large numbers of customer. I really enjoy making sandwiches.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Subway. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• Subway
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?