Supercheap Auto
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Supercheap Auto Employee Reviews

New Zealand11 reviews
Learnt alot from working here from my supervisor. Started out devanning then my supervisor wanted to keep me on working her so she taught me to replenish, pick pack when pickers needed help meeting there picking target for the day.
Management was always clear with their instructions when directing staff with tasks. Management at supercheap always pushed staff to their full potential.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Short breaks
A young transient culture for retail employees. Good incentives, ability to progress. Australian Company so ability to gain employment overseas. Pay rate for employees not that great.
Pros
Team discount is great
Cons
Long hours, 7 day business, work public holidys
Good mix of people to work with.close to home jus walk there.sometimes help out in some areas good to learn something different then doing the same thing every day.
Pros
Company shout lunch.
Cons
Sometimes work in bad weather outside especially now winter.
Great place to work with a friendly team who has helped me in many ways. The company treats its staff well and there are good perks for all team members.
With such a large difference in the attitudes of individual managers and supervisors, there really is no accurate way to tell if the store you're set to work at will be an enjoyable experience, or a nightmare. The people who work at the stores are generally great to get along with, usually with similar interests, but the managers in charge seem to be pushed by the superiors to only care about numbers and bonuses.

What results is an environment where you feel like a number making machine, or just a number yourself to the company. You won't be made to feel welcome in this company, but instead be made to feel like you're replaceable. This attitude of "meet these numbers or we'll find someone else who can" really permeates this whole chain of stores and it's a real shame.

All of this would be ok if the pay reflected the often demanding work and under-staffing - but of course it doesn't. You will probably find yourself getting paid minimum wage as a general store assistant, even if your skills seem to sit higher up on the 'pay scale' document they have available for employees to view. What this says to me is "I would pay you less if I could, and I don't care what our documents say".

This is all of course if you even get given shifts on your zero hour contract.

Good staff discount though! so at least there's that...
Pros
Good discount, Good co-workers
Cons
Zero hour contracts, Managers pushy about getting their bonuses
I loved working here for 5 and a half years. Would go back for sure. Great team environment, great training and top wages. Highly recommend working here.
Customer Service was the main task- I would look up car parts and contact suppliers to find the best price for my customer. I learnt in this roll that marketing and sales can be very rewarding. I enjoyed meeting budget targets and using creative ideas to help achieve this.
The management lacked support and this had a flow on effect which was at times a really negative. The hardest part of this position was being in the position of working with a team who had a negative outlook. I really enjoyed working with customers and the active roll, I would replace wipers, bulbs and could use my automotive skills which I gained from doing a pre-trade automotive course.
Pros
Automotive problem solving
Cons
Negative team
I enjoyed interacting with the customer on a day to day basis.
I would always have customers willing to have a chat.

The company have a really good set up system that helps to develop knowledge quickly and easily.

The management was really well done, always organised with himself and the employees.

The staff was friendly and easy to get along with.

The hardest part of the job was probably when it gets really busy

and was unable to keep up.

The most enjoyable part of the job would have been learning new things about or to do with vehicles such as parts.
Pros
Extensive Vehicle knowledge
Cons
Opening every Sunday morning
I would usually work at the counter serving customers and answering phone calls. I learned to receipt in orders, look up car parts, count up the tills. Customers can be difficult at times but I soon learned how to help them find what they needed in the most efficient way possible.
Pros
monthly bonuses
Cons
Very good work place with a supportive management system, and strong input to my role from higher positioned co-workers. There was room to improve and progress in the position and move higher through the company,
Pros
good structured work place
Cons
not my chosen industry