Te Wananga o Aotearoa
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Te Wananga o Aotearoa Employee Reviews

New Zealand39 reviews
A typical day is spent answering inquiries from students and staff. The administration is an everyday occurrence of inward mail, email and phone calls. The culture of our workplace is made up of many different facets of human personality interacting with staff teaching and learning from one another.
Pros
Interacting with the public
Cons
no one day is the same
In the catering industry i learnt about HEALTH AND SAFETY, you always have to be clean and make sure your finger nails are spotless! I also learnt about being patient with customers.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
nothing
challenging but good at the same time. Working along side the Tutors in regards to funds.
Enjoyed working with Administration and Finance Staff. Te Wananga O Aotearoa was under going restructuring so I cant say much except to say I enjoyed working there.
Pros
free lunch after P.D.L
Cons
n/a
I am quite pleased to work at Te Wananga o Aotearoa. It's working hours suits me to balance between work and the family together. I really admire the core values of the organisation. I am doing a honourable job in sharing my knowledge with adult community to up skill them from knowledge of computing.
Tutoring both one on one and whole class.
Planning and resource making.

Consistent professional development and in house information sharing

Supportive staff working together towards the revitalization of Te Reo Maori me ona tikanga

The most enjoyable part of the job was witnessing of student development and learning, developing and maintenance of student relationships

Lots of learning through singing, role play and games.

The hardest part again was the consistent weekend work and teaching 3 nights a week keeping you away from the family night time routine

Developing my own personal pedagogy through identifying learning styles and Accelerated Learning Techniques.
Pros
Working with great people to revitalize the Maori language
Cons
teaching at night working most weekends as well as days
Never a dull moment . Demanding yet satisfying. Working with people who share the same vision and passion within the education sector. Being given opportunities within the company to grow, and learn.
To be part of an organization that helped others to achieve dreams
Pros
to be with like minded people
Cons
Budget constraints
always busy
people skills

how to communicate better

time management

team building

student completion
Pros
whanaungatanga
Good I learned heaps good long day at course just like an ordinary day.
Pros
Free access to computers
Cons
Moderate
Working with other people, i've learnt a lot from the workers that i worked with, the hardest part of the job and getting the cleaning done as there were meetings i had to attend. The most i enjoyed was getting to know all babys and older children aged between 1year to 5years old when they grew up and left for school. I see most of then in the street.
for maori its great, they get to figure out their roots, but for islanders its great but we feel kind of left out, our points of views sometimes don't matter in some lecturers minds.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Te Wananga o Aotearoa?
Overall awesome working with like minded colleagues in a family orientated environments
Pros
Professional development
My passion is teaching and to support the learning of those who are less fortunate (academically, financially, and or other).

I have taught in a number of areas as I wanted to gain the highest level of understanding educational excellence.

Management and co-workers in Education tend to be of the same mind and have similar principals therefore the focus of work centres on improvement of what we collectively do as a team.

The most enjoyable part of being an educationalist is in making a difference to individual students lives, programmes, delivery systems but more importantly knowing that the work I do has a long term effect in those areas.
Pros
Feeling valued & of use to others
Cons
Buracratic processess/ (employers want young staff)
i study employment skills level 1
start date 29july2013

finish date; 01 december2013
Pros
free lunchs
Cons
short hours
I believe Te Wananga O Aotearoa is an organisation that managed many programmes that were suitable to all second chance learners, for students with numeracy and literacy deficiencies who would have benefited from the wonderful programmes that were delivered throughout the whole of New Zealand. This organisation catered to the needs of their students, access for disabled students, onsite childcare facilities so students could learn while their children were being cared for, distant learning and online programmes for those who were unable to attend full time classes.
It has been a privilege working in a organisation such as this, the only downfall I believe happened here, was that they grew too fast, too soon and didn't have the right people at the helm to handle such a huge increase in student ratio, new campuses and Outposts opening all over NZ and the vast amount of new, qualified staff to handle the increase.
Pros
I had the honour of meeting the CEO and founder of the Organisation, also my Manager at the time was one of the founders too, the Te Kuiti Campus that I was employed under, was one of the original campuses formed alongside the campus in Te Awamutu.
Cons
Increases to the Organisation, meant Government intervening, then a major restructuring, which caused many redundancies, campus and outpost closures, and student decreases.
Going to work was a typical day, because you enjoyed having the weekend off then monday it starts all over again.
I learned alot when i was working.

Management was okay.

Co-workers were pretty good beside one person sometimes.

The hardest part of the job was when your busy doing your work and someone tells you to do something else,it gets frustrating sometimes.

The enjoyable part of the job is when everybody gets together and joke with each other even the management.
The most enjoyable part of the job is the getting to know each other events held and the people who are awarded for their efforts. I enjoyed working for this organisation and what it stands for in educating everyone.
Pros
Benefits for working in a culturally aware organisation. food/music/laughter
Cons
Self inflicted long hours.
Introduction into tertiary education and formal processes and procedures following the government specified framework.
Pros
Great team
Cons
Start 8:30am, karakia at 8:45 a time for sharing and caring, notifications, special upcoming events, prayer from all religious backgrounds (definitely a multicultural environment where everyone's beliefs were acknowledged and respected).

Learned patience, listening, giving correct advice, taking time to really learn what the clients wanted.

Management needed to be kept informed via our reports. Encouraged self development, upskilling, attending to core business, dissemenating information, encouraged developing ideas, and self learning.

Hardest part of job seeing students moving on successfully.

Attending graduation.
Pros
working in a multi cultural environment
Cons
travelling away from home
This was a great place to interact with other people of various cultures and personalities.