Te Whatu Ora - Health New Zealand

Te Whatu Ora - Health New Zealand Employee Reviews

New Zealand186 reviews

3.7Work–Life Balance

Productive and good workplace but poor pay

Love my job at the acute mental health ward, good team including management. Have felt supported throughout my new graduate years. Even though working in understaffed conditions at times. If the salary met the cost of living I wouldnt be looking at jobs overseas.

Terrible culture

Terrible workplace culture in my opinion. Found the management lacking in basic people management skill and leadership- setting a bad example from the top. Change resistant organisation that claims to be at the top of their game. However found practice like stepping back in time.

Hca

I started here with level 3 and 4 HCA Certified, worked in ED it was hands on and I enjoyed the challenge but it made me want to become a RN even more so now I am in my first year as a student nurse!

Pros

Great team and everyday is different!

Cons

Busy and long hours some days only if you pick up extra, shiftwork

toxic environment in mental health services for consumer roles

Lived experience roles are not valued or appreciated, and are seen as a necessary annoyance to the real work of clinical medicating and monitoring. openly hostile.

Pros

good training

Cons

toxic work environment (mental health services)

Hmmmmm. Disability Support Link

If you are in the Team Managers bff group you will be treated well and favourably. If not you will be ignored, overlooked, career progression will be non-existent. Team Manager is a nice person in a non professional environment. But sadly very insecure on most levels and this seeps through into her work, communication and management style. She surrounds herself with yes people and fears challenge, knowledge and experience of others.

Pros

Some very lovely people in the team, who work very very hard. They demonstrate great knowledge and experience and fun sense of humour.

Cons

Too many insecure people in the team. Some who sadly find anyone with knowledge a threat.

Educational and productive working place

It is very stressful and hard at the beginning however with the help of other staff I became familiar with the working environment and enjoying working at the WAikatoDHB.

Management missing

My small hospital has had turnover of all key management positions numerous times over the last few years. It shows. We are working extra duties, often only 50% staffed clinically. Late and inadequate efforts have been made to hire more clinical staff. Practicing medicine here is dangerous and unsupported.

Busy but fun work place

Long time Manager encourages gossip and shares confidences, Is hot and cold, Tells you one thing but does the opposite. Instrumenal in creating stressful environment

Pros

Busy environment and never a dull moment, lots of junk food provided as rewards for various reasons, very rewarding helping people relax and feel better about coming to ED.

Cons

Over worked.. Toxic environment Long term employees lazy Gossipy Poor Management Under paid

Stressful, toxic environment.

Was great when I started, then a change in management and team leader/ coordinator it quickly became an unpleasant place to be.6 resignations in the last 8 weeks says it all. I'm also desperately seeking to get out.

It's like if you love your job its fun and it's like a happy family. Your duty managers are always supportive. We got an accellent team

I just love my job since I started I had to go through many things in my life while was working .I had good friends and duty managers and got help from everyone who could support me through my tough day's.

Pros

Sorry no free lunches. Only when it's Christmas 🎄 😌

Cons

We do long hours if we agree to do so.

Productive, fast-paced and fun place to work. Wonderful team once you get to know them. Research before you apply.

Great experience. E-learning. New faces. Know your stuff before applying. Don't take short cuts. Ask if you don't understand. Ask for extra training if you feel you need it. Make friends. Have fun!

Pros

Free use of gym and coffee machine and filtered water, Staff benefits, life-long friends, Affordable parking, eLearning, Great Christmas Work-do

Cons

Not enough staff parking, Short staffed, Over-worked staff, No hazard pay, Sticky-beaks

Excellent work experience and fabulous team

Went to. NZ to gain further experience and was also looking for opposite settle down in NZ or Australia. Towards the completion, felt that the Pediatric surgery branch was not easy tobpersue and returned back.

Pros

Many pros, beautiful place with amazing people

Cons

Not much. Couldn’t help with settling down there .

.i liked the culture of the hospital and staff i was involved with at that time

.I worked at Whanganui hospital on a temporary contract. I would have preferred to live in Whanganui at the time rather than travel. I think that would have improved the work life balance.

A very good organisation to work for

Professional & enthusiastic teamCaring ManagersCreative & relevantNice food from the cafetariaSeating in the cafe is indicative of who is who, as all the same uniforms generally sit together not mix it up Because of the nature of the workplace there are difficult moments but very supportive peers

Up, up, up and... Left.

Starship has a mentality of doing it their way or no way and you have to stand up for what you feel is correct.Its not a healthy culture but when you work through the challenges, there is a great team of nurses whom on the whole are excellent at their job. Management communication, support and understanding is poor and lacks insight into what actually happens within the team and the lack of opportunities available.I sought to highlight views to CEO given friendly intro at start of position but no response over many weeks hence below comment.

Pros

Great team. Flexible shift working.

Cons

Poor departmental management and support. Poor Nurse Educating.

Great learning. Good team. Fantastic exposure

Loved collaborating with doctors nurses physicians physiotherapist speech and language therapist. Psychologists and senior play specialist. Fantastic learning curve.

Pros

Quality work

Cons

Emotionally draining

Workplace bullying at its finest

Terrible management style throughout the organisation. As often happens, people are promoted over time until they hit their first level of incompetence, but nothing is done when they are incompetent to help them grow. Lots of people in people management roles that lack the basic skills of being people managers. Bullying is ever present throughout the organisation and the reports in the media over the past years have resulted in a speak up programme that seemly is only a gesture, but has not changed the underlying issues of the organisation. Bullying stems from the top at a very high level and it is common knowledge regarding particular directors in the organisation and the way in which they treat people, yet nothing is done, and issues raised are not fixed. Hospital is falling to pieces through years of mismanagement of funding by the ADHB, in which maintenance was continually deferred in order to buy more clinical equipment with the vision of creating a world class hospital. Unfortunately this has resulted in the hospital requiring complete remediation and a special separate government funding stream of around $1bn over 10 years to fix these issues

Cons

Terrible mismanagement of all aspects of the business

Asbestos Exposure

Very poor health & safety standards and they do not adhere to Regulations. Many incidents of serious harm are covered up, and they retaliate against staff for reporting a notifiable event to WorkSafe. All their paperwork is done via hard copy so there is no traceability. A very powerful healthcare organisation!

Pros

Salary

Cons

Watch their paperwork and your email inbox!

Supportive and friendly team

My experience working as an RN in ICU/HDU was positive in general. I felt well supported, and they make genuine effort to help you succeed in working in this role.

Pros

Nice and supportive team

Cons

May be too challenging for new graduates

Overall

Great place to work with multiple cultural backgrounds. Would work there again if given the chance. Was challenging at some points, but conquered those obstacles with ideas and new concepts on how to work smarter.

Good working envoirnment

Managment is good. Goot team work. But salary is not as good as expected. Well traoned staff. Professional development. Everything explained properly.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Te Whatu Ora - Health New Zealand. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• Te Whatu Ora - Health New Zealand