The ALS Association

The ALS Association Employee Reviews

3.4Work–Life Balance

Wonderful patients and families, but lack of structure/guidance by boss

Loved the mission and growth of the The ALS Association. Management was new, difficult and did not have a firm hold on staff. Management did not have time for new staff with questions. Loved the families and patients that I worked with.

What is the best part of working at the company?Fantastic place to work! Amazing! What is the most stressful part about working at the company?No stress, calm and self paced What is the work environment and culture like at the company?Very supportive

The worst

Horrible leadership from out of touch "executive team" lacking qualifications or the ability to show respect and dignity to their employees. Benefits are a joke. Turnover is beyond anything I've ever witnessed.

Pros

Flexible work schedule

Cons

Everything else

Top heavy and ineffective leadership

There are endless managers, directors, and c-level staff whose contributions are sus, and I say that as a former member of a leadership team. Upper level leadership lacks integrity and intentionally misleads employees. The lackluster benefits and culture pretty much negate the remote flexibility.

Intense cause with limited resources and top heavy org

Lack of transparency. Secretive leadership culture. Lack of HR- lack of parody. Leadership salaries far above line staff. Lack of care for the environment as they fundraise. This org has the right heart but an inconsistent and generally out of balance approach to current trends. Limited opportunities for upward movement. Great people doing important work but systems and oversights lacking.

Mission focused

Room for growth, but benefits were below average. Loved my time there though. Teamwork was strong, lots of professional development. Strong community partnerships.

Pros

Great leadership

Cons

Compensation

Impactful work they do for the community is great but do not treat employees fair. They have no sense of job security

The work environment is unstructured and no rules when it comes to people who have been working there for years but for new employees they will try to under pay and change the rules. There no sense of job security, they won’t even meet with you prior to letting you go. They don’t offer a good work-life balance; all that matters to them is their work. They have no Covid-19 policies in place and actually require face to face contact/ office hours even with the number of cases surging in our state. They will hire you under certain circumstances and change it upon hire, on the spot. I wouldn’t recommend working for this association.

Pros

The impact work they do for our ALS patients and families

Cons

No lunch breaks, No Covid-19 policies, Will not pay for advanced degrees, Low pay range, No office culture, Management

Flexible job making a difference in the lives of terminally ill.

This organization makes a huge impact on those living with ALS. The best part of my job is providing services that offer direct support and the patients’ appreciation.

Pros

Flexible schedule, helpful management

Cons

Isolating working remotely;

Meh

It's okay. Not great. Lots of chaos and flux. A lot of micromanagement and way too top-heavy. They do hire remote workers and have decent benefits. Good location.

Meaningful work. Often stressful.

I was constantly inspired by the people we served. It was an extremely busy and often stressful job. Many of the people are kind. I learned a lot there.

Too many unpleasant "surprises" once you've been hired make this situation impossible to sustain.

Management is awful: dishonest representation of the job in hiring process, provided no training, sowed seeds of discord with volunteers. Power trip at top.

Pros

The 'clients' served by the association made it worth doing.

Cons

Management is awful in every possible way.

This chapter does not support their employees

They fire people on whims, never to explain why. Even after positive reviews and comments, employees are shown the door. When employees are doing well, this is still not enough to ensure job security. The CEO does not care about her employees.

Great misdion

Great mission Servicing patients first Really committed people Need to be more cohesive Some of the chapters disagree with the national office and need to be less combative very good conferences are given but sometimes the fundraising staff are not as adequately trained as they could be and left to their own devices

Pros

Patients first

Cons

Need to raise money other ways than events

Strategic Problem Solvers

The ALS Association Golden West Chapter is a organization of professionals who are very strategic about finding a solution for a urgent problem quickly. It was a pleasure to be part of this organized group of professionals who were able to help many people solve complex business issues in the State Of California.

Pros

Excellent pay, benefits, daily schedule, interaction with the local communities, and very nice coordinating with the medical professionals.

Cons

End of life issues.

Community Service

This was for community service that I've been doing for three years throughout high school. Also, I had to work with the person that was running the service in order for me to give out instructions to my member to work efficiently.

Flexible work schedule

Managers are willing to work with flexible scheduling. Work/life balance and culture is a priority for leadership. This encourages employees to have faith in leadership.

Great Organization

Very Professionally ran organization Very Supportive of their patients and family members. Staff is valued, supported and appreciated. Have been a contracted group facilitator for 30 years.

Bad management and environment.

Working with the patients, their families & caregivers was the only positive to working here. Management was nonexistent and no one had any sense of communication!

Company review

Management is nice. Management needs more of a cohesive focus Needs to streamline processes and communication. Work balance is above average. Co-workers are wonderful and provide great support.

Pros

Flexibility

Cons

Partners and vendors are not reliable

nice people and great mission but disorganized

Non-profits can be a challenging environment, even for the best of people. I believe that the organization wants to do well and does accomplish their mission most of the time. There can be some favoritism internally and externally.

Perfect blend of autonomy and support. Knowledgeable supervision provided with many opportunities for professional and personal growth.

Working with persons living with ALS,their families, and the staff of the Upstate New York Chapter of the ALS Association was a profound experience. The small but cohesive team are hard working and extremely dedicated. The leadership is strong and supportive. This is an amazing group of people that offers much inspiration.

Pros

Clear humanitarian values, vision and mission. Inspirational, knowledgeable leadership. Strong, supportive supervision.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The ALS Association. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• The ALS Association