The Cotton On Group

The Cotton On Group Employee Reviews

New Zealand114 reviews

3.5Work–Life Balance

Found 114 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,482 reviews

Good experience on Point Of Sales System and customer service development.

If you’re wanting to further develop your customer service skills look no further. You are well equipped during induction and help will always be available to you through your managers or YouLearning App. It is quite a lot to do for minimum wage, but this may be a good start for high school leavers.

Great work place for fresh school finishers

Good work environment, fast paced and decent pay. Loved meeting new people on the job and management was easy to deal with. Overall great company to work for

Productive & fun

The job itself is retail so you can’t expect too much. Had the best team to work with and the staff discount was so good. The management of the store was what made it harder to work with especially with how much they depended on staff and it was past their capabilities.

Pros

Staff discount & great people to work with

Cons

Manager

Meet great people, no work/life balance

The job is what you take from it. Good job for part-time students wouldn't recommend it for more than that. No work/life balance. Overworked and underpaid. Pushy sale ethics.

Great student job

The crew was super friendly. I was a Christmas casual so it was a group interview which was very cool but you definitely needed to stand out in order to get noticed. The job is very on-demand and quick on your feet during Christmas but some of the crew were quite rude and even talked behind a few backs.

Pros

Staff discount & Break

Cons

Some rude staff members

Terrible and Dramatic workplace

If you don't want your mental health to go down the drain and feel like your at high school do not work here! The job itself is very chill and laid back although the people and managers/ regional managers are awful. The workplace was somewhat toxic, there was always people talking about each other behind their backs including managers/regional manager. So much favoritism and the pay was the worst even if you have worked here for a long time.

Pros

Team discount and flexibility (+ easy job)

Cons

Management all over, pay and favoritism

good job if you never disagree with anyone

my own store was amazing, coworkers were like my family. but every other store i covered a shift at or in my area had horrible work environments. regionals were passive aggressive and talked badly about their employees to their favourite store managers. if you ever want to move above minimum wage you better make sure your managers and regional love you.

Pros

staff discount is 50%

Cons

taking annual leave was made to be a clear inconvenience for your managers, no priority given to long term loyal staff when they want a public holiday off, no recognition of hard working and loyal staff

Horrible place to work

Would never recommend anyone to work at a cotton on Terrible managers and the staff are just nasty willing to make up anything they can to get you in trouble. Got in trouble for going on break too

Cons

Worked at a Typo Store during University and my shifts were very flexible. My store was amazing and had family vibes. Downside was the pay/hours.

Shifts had routine and the customer issues were never too tough to handle. Very KPI-driven but rewarding. Good communication from my managers. Closing and opening the store by yourself. Consistent growth training. Very busy during holidays.

Pros

Team Member discount Good People

Cons

Small pay from lack of hours for senior part-timers

Toxic environment where management doesn’t appreciate their employees.

Whilst working for COG, our store has been understaffed the whole time I’ve been here and there have been times where I’ll have to work 6/7 days straight (I’m only a part timer). When I first started I wasn’t fully trained at all and was thrown right into the deep end. Management is awful and you feel like you can’t talk to anyone, and the people from head office are snobs and never acknowledge your presence when they visit the store. There’ll be many days where there are huge rushes of customers coming in and only 2 workers will be rostered on as they don’t want to pay any more workers to be on. You’re constantly overworked yet don’t get any acknowledgment or praise and expected to always pick up the slack for others. Was also sad to see that our COG team does not do anything for their staff for Christmas either, no work do’s or anything. I really wanted to enjoy working for this company as I’ve always been a loyal customer of Cotton On before being employed here, but now seeing what the company is like behind closed doors makes me feel disgusted. It may be just our store/mall can’t really speak for other COG stores around Auckland, although this has been my experience as a part time team member so far.

Pros

50% staff discount. That’s it

Cons

Understaffed, unappreciated no matter how much you work, toxic management and work environment

Bad place to work

I was constantly over worked. Part time staff are only guaranteed 3 hours a week. No training .When I quit I wasn't even told goodbye. Zero appreciation towards staff

Pros

50% off

Cons

High workload

Mean

the managers are rude and mean. they always pick on certain workers and the permamnent workers treat casual workers like trash. they didnt give us breaks properly .

Pros

50% staff discount

Cons

rude worker

Good first job

Fast paced, high volume store. Fun bunch of colleagues. Lots and lots of stock on a daily basis. Good employee discount. Great for a first job. Part of a chain so options to relocate

Wouldn’t recommend to anyone

They underpay workers. The company does not care about their employees. Management are dodgy and no one does anything to correct it. You can’t go to management for help. There’s no support or guidance. HR doesn’t reply when you get under paid. You’re aren’t acknowledged by head office when they come into the store. You are ignored and over worked for minimum wage.

Pros

Staff discount

Cons

Pay rate is disappointing, management are useless, no support

Not great

Worked in Auckland for 2 years! Management was horrific. Huge bullying and toxic culture. You get no training and have to deal with difficult situations and people constantly. They did however, give breaks on time, and an hour long. You get a 50% off discount which is good and 'uniform deals' every once in a while which is better than 50% off. Doesnt exactly make up for the fact you're treated badly, but helps soften the blow. Good starting point for someone entering the workforce, they seem to take anyone regardless of experience, but be prepared to be grow thick skin.

Nice place to work... If you don't mind getting paid poorly

Overall my time at Cotton On was short-lived due to a few main concerns. The biggest being that the pay for the job I was doing was ridiculous. I was being paid close to minimum-wage in a leadership-based role. My role consisted of managing teams on average of 10 people, varying from team sizes of 10 minimum to close to 30+ alone. The job itself was reasonably manageable but I did not have all the assets I needed. For example, I was expected to travel all over Auckland using my own car and I was not given a fuel allowance and could not have my mileage reimbursed. Try travelling all over Auckland every day doing a supervisors job and then only getting paid minimum wage. Doesn't sound too appealing, does it? On top of that, if you're someone who is creative and loves to try new ideas in the workplace then Cotton On isn't for you. I was expected from my managers and higher-ups to basically follow a script for every single task and suggesting new ideas was basically discouraged. If I had to say anything good about my time at Cotton On, my manager and majority of my teammates were very kind and understanding people who very easy to get along with. Other than that, I cannot recommend working this position at Cotton On. For the level of work and level of importance that this position holds, there should be a higher wage than just minimum. If you were applying for a manager's position at a decently sized and highly respected company where you would be managing a decently sized team you wouldn't really expect the starting hourly rate to be a dollar above the minimum would you?

Would not recommend for work life balance

They say they are about work life balance yet anytime we put through leave for our staff we were in trouble or if we applied for leave it was a such inconvenience

Good first time experience

Good first time job, but not for the long run. easy interview very relaxed, general questions. Hard to extend hours or to experience other roles to advance career

Fast paced environment

I only did one night of work for them under a recurring company so I won't know much about how long it takes to get a call back from them or what there inverviews are like

With this job

Overall average place to work if you love customer service and the fast pace it holds when it comes to standards and ensuring customers are satisfied, then this is the job for you.

Not recognised or paid enough

Expect to constantly be stressed! Never enough staff on and yet they expect the most from people at all times. Too much pressure on upselling to the point where it makes you worried constantly. Not recognised enough for good things done within the company. Do not get paid enough. However, they have a really generous discount programme and they are good about working around out of work commitments if you have good management above you in store.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Cotton On Group. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• The Cotton On Group
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?