The Cotton On Group
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

The Cotton On Group Employee Reviews

Good first time experience
Good first time job, but not for the long run. easy interview very relaxed, general questions. Hard to extend hours or to experience other roles to advance career
Nice place to work... If you don't mind getting paid poorly
Overall my time at Cotton On was short-lived due to a few main concerns. The biggest being that the pay for the job I was doing was ridiculous. I was being paid close to minimum-wage in a leadership-based role. My role consisted of managing teams on average of 10 people, varying from team sizes of 10 minimum to close to 30+ alone. The job itself was reasonably manageable but I did not have all the assets I needed. For example, I was expected to travel all over Auckland using my own car and I was not given a fuel allowance and could not have my mileage reimbursed. Try travelling all over Auckland every day doing a supervisors job and then only getting paid minimum wage. Doesn't sound too appealing, does it? On top of that, if you're someone who is creative and loves to try new ideas in the workplace then Cotton On isn't for you. I was expected from my managers and higher-ups to basically follow a script for every single task and suggesting new ideas was basically discouraged. If I had to say anything good about my time at Cotton On, my manager and majority of my teammates were very kind and understanding people who very easy to get along with. Other than that, I cannot recommend working this position at Cotton On. For the level of work and level of importance that this position holds, there should be a higher wage than just minimum. If you were applying for a manager's position at a decently sized and highly respected company where you would be managing a decently sized team you wouldn't really expect the starting hourly rate to be a dollar above the minimum would you?
Would not recommend for work life balance
They say they are about work life balance yet anytime we put through leave for our staff we were in trouble or if we applied for leave it was a such inconvenience
Fast paced environment
I only did one night of work for them under a recurring company so I won't know much about how long it takes to get a call back from them or what there inverviews are like
With this job
Overall average place to work if you love customer service and the fast pace it holds when it comes to standards and ensuring customers are satisfied, then this is the job for you.
Not recognised or paid enough
Expect to constantly be stressed! Never enough staff on and yet they expect the most from people at all times. Too much pressure on upselling to the point where it makes you worried constantly. Not recognised enough for good things done within the company. Do not get paid enough.

However, they have a really generous discount programme and they are good about working around out of work commitments if you have good management above you in store.
Fun work place
I loved working with customers
I learnt how to style and help customers pick suitable clothing for themselves

Loved the staff members

We would sometimes get customers that were hard to handle but we managed to handle them in a suitable manner
Pros
Discounts
Cons
No Cons for me
Productive and fun
Was a great 3 years of learning and growing, just a lot of issues with management and fairness. Put a lot of hard work into the shop and making sure the team ran smoothly, but not a lot of recognition.
It’s a good job depending who your work mates are but management and the company can be so corrupt
Management and the company don’t care about your health and well being eg like depression and personal problems be careful who you trust with personal things because 10/10 gets carried around through management and to other stores 50% off with staff discount which is cool made some really cool friends but management just ain’t it
I've worked for the Cotton On Group for several months, first as a Christmas Casual and now as a Senior Part-timer. The work environment is fairly relaxed, and the staff are friendly. Although there is a little favouritism present when assigning hours, it's still a good environment since the manager is open to making hours work for you. The trick is to work hard and follow instructions.
very fun workplace
very fun, fast-paced, exciting due to new things occurring daily, friendly helpful staff. the staff look after you too when dodgy characters enter store
Pros
50% off storewide
Zero correspondance. Poor form.
Had a job interview and was told I'd hear back by the end of that week... 3 weeks later I hadn't heard back and the job was still advertised online. Its now been 6 weeks, and the ad is finally gone, but I haven't heard anything back from anyone! The courteous thing to do would be to send out a rejection email at least. Shame on your manager/HR/recruitment team. I've worked for COG before and this is not the first time that communication has been nil. Sort it out.
Fun Workplace
I learnt how to interact with customers in what they needed and made friends through working there. A great working environment, everyone gets along great.
A typical day at work is music, laughter and meeting new people all the time.

The hardest part of the job is the stress of messing up the shipping arrangements and stacking some things but it was also tolerable.

Management is great although a little slack on security as I caught a couple people stealing but got it sorted very quickly after confronting them.

The most enjoyable part is the team members, being able to communicate and have fun whilst being at work, also meeting new people and making new friends.
Pros
Happy Work Environment. Never a dull day.
Cons
Barely any hours.
Fast-paced, busy and overall enjoyable workplace
Typical day at work would entail 8-9 hour shift. Primarily cashier work, dressing room work, racking clothes and putting out new stock. Learned how to further develop time management and communication skills, as well as problem solving.
Management overall pleasant to work with. Listened to employee needs and requests and lenient on things such as water breaks, bathroom breaks, etc. However also firm and assertive. Hardest part of job was dealing with problematic, rude or unreasonable customers. However overall good work experience and did not encounter many customers that were too unreasonable. Most enjoyable part of the job was getting to know and hold conversations with the customers and serve customers needs and satisfy desires.
Pros
Good breaks
Cons
Long hours on slow days
Wasn't given enough hours
Worked part-time, but was not given as many hours as I wanted to work each week (only two days). Overall great work environment and friendly staff. Good benefits of employee discount on clothing.
A great team to be apart of.
I thoroughly enjoyed working for the Cotton On Group, namely in the Typo store. The job culture was fun and light hearted, the team were outgoing and the opportunities for growth were always there.
Fun workplace
Working for Cotton on group was fun. Depending on the store manger you will get rewarded for hard work.

You can not trust management with your bussiness because the staff always find out.
Pros
50% staff discount
Cons
can't trust management.
Exciting workplace
Cotton on is a fun place to work on, being a Christmas casual everyday would be a challenge but a good one at that. Such a fresh atmosphere surrounded by awesome co-workers and managers. Loved it :)
Pros
Experience
Cons
Not enough hours
Shore City Cotton On
Enjoyed my time working in the company, the people were lovely and the managers were very professional. I definitely extended my skill set in customer service and learned how to manage a store by myself.
Fun workplace
It was always a fun shift with the other members on the team, everyone was full of energy and it was always interesting dealing with different customers every shift. Awesome environment.
Pros
Staff discount
Not good
Worked for Kids in Auckland and it was a hassle. The management sucks and the regional is awful, and working with people who don’t pull there weight are the worst. I loved the company and the people who I work with but it has gone down hill once I left and I’m glad that I did. I’ve meet so many amazing people and loved the experience but I would never recommend working for kids until management has changed and actually focus on the workers
Pros
Discount
Cons
Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Cotton On Group. Our community is ready to answer.