The Cotton On Group Employee Reviews

Zero correspondance. Poor form.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Typo Riccarton30 July 2019
Had a job interview and was told I'd hear back by the end of that week... 3 weeks later I hadn't heard back and the job was still advertised online. Its now been 6 weeks, and the ad is finally gone, but I haven't heard anything back from anyone! The courteous thing to do would be to send out a rejection email at least. Shame on your manager/HR/recruitment team. I've worked for COG before and this is not the first time that communication has been nil. Sort it out.
Fast-paced, busy and overall enjoyable workplace
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tauranga, Bay of Plenty22 April 2019
Typical day at work would entail 8-9 hour shift. Primarily cashier work, dressing room work, racking clothes and putting out new stock. Learned how to further develop time management and communication skills, as well as problem solving.
Management overall pleasant to work with. Listened to employee needs and requests and lenient on things such as water breaks, bathroom breaks, etc. However also firm and assertive. Hardest part of job was dealing with problematic, rude or unreasonable customers. However overall good work experience and did not encounter many customers that were too unreasonable. Most enjoyable part of the job was getting to know and hold conversations with the customers and serve customers needs and satisfy desires.
Pros
Good breaks
Cons
Long hours on slow days
Wasn't given enough hours
Retail Sales-Associate (Former Employee) –  Wellington City, Wellington28 March 2019
Worked part-time, but was not given as many hours as I wanted to work each week (only two days). Overall great work environment and friendly staff. Good benefits of employee discount on clothing.
A great team to be apart of.
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Auckland21 March 2019
I thoroughly enjoyed working for the Cotton On Group, namely in the Typo store. The job culture was fun and light hearted, the team were outgoing and the opportunities for growth were always there.
Fun workplace
Sales Assistant (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Wellington Central, Wellington18 March 2019
Working for Cotton on group was fun. Depending on the store manger you will get rewarded for hard work.

You can not trust management with your bussiness because the staff always find out.
Pros
50% staff discount
Cons
can't trust management.
Exciting workplace
Customer service (Former Employee) –  Gisborne3 February 2019
Cotton on is a fun place to work on, being a Christmas casual everyday would be a challenge but a good one at that. Such a fresh atmosphere surrounded by awesome co-workers and managers. Loved it :)
Pros
Experience
Cons
Not enough hours
Shore City Cotton On
Retail Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  shore city nz16 December 2018
Enjoyed my time working in the company, the people were lovely and the managers were very professional. I definitely extended my skill set in customer service and learned how to manage a store by myself.
Retail Assistant (Current Employee) –  Sylvia Park, 2017, NZ7 December 2018
It was always a fun shift with the other members on the team, everyone was full of energy and it was always interesting dealing with different customers every shift. Awesome environment.
Pros
Staff discount
Not good
Sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Auckland29 October 2018
Worked for Kids in Auckland and it was a hassle. The management sucks and the regional is awful, and working with people who don’t pull there weight are the worst. I loved the company and the people who I work with but it has gone down hill once I left and I’m glad that I did. I’ve meet so many amazing people and loved the experience but I would never recommend working for kids until management has changed and actually focus on the workers
Pros
Discount
Great learning experience
Part Time Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Manukau City, Auckland17 July 2018
I found working at cotton on a okay place no doubt i enjoyed the learning as this was my very first job ever and staff were very patient and helpful , the environment and amazing staff discounts but the only thing to take account was being paid fortnightly which was difficult in a sense of budgeting for two weeks and also resigning was a 4 week notice which i think is way to long. The difficult thing about working in a small store with only 3 other workers was the amount of work that was given and only having one worker stay till close on a weekend
Pros
Staff discounts
environment
Pick/Packer (Former Employee) –  Auckland9 May 2018
Lovely people to work with, awesome environment. I learnt a lot of new things. Cotton on was a place that i loved to work at and enjoyed every moment.
Pros
Free Lunch Sometimes
Cons
Long Hours
fun work place
Retail Assistant Sylvia Park(current) (Current Employee) –  Sylvia Park, Auckland26 March 2018
organised fun day being set by our management. Making sure all our tasks are done for the day, meeting new people everyday and most enjoyable helping customers, and getting great feedback from them about our world class experience.
Pros
discounts amazing great work environment, awesome staff
Cons
not enough hours
I hate this company
Inventory Manager (Former Employee) –  Nelson, Nelson28 February 2018
If you want to feel over-worked, underpaid and under-appreciated this is the perfect place to work. The head office is very unprofessional and I when I was younger there was 5 seperate times a head office member had made me cry. The is not a single manager in Nelson that works under this company that could tell you their experience has been thoroughly good.
Pros
my personal instore managers
Cons
pay, head office
Fun work place
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Queen Street, Auckland18 February 2018
Great place to work as a first job esp. as a young person just leaving school. Made friends really quickly and felt accepted. Management looked after staff and was really laid back.
Pros
Good social oppurtunities
friendly workmates
Retail assistant (Former Employee) –  Taupo, Waikato11 February 2018
really good friendly environment, however management at the Taupo premise needs a cleanup. despite that i really enjoyed working there. the 50% discount made it worth it.
ok if you're young
Senior Part Timer (Current Employee) –  Christchurch City, Canterbury2 February 2018
Career advancement seems to only be for those who are well liked. If you aren't buddies with the regional or store manager then you basically just get hours and basic responsibility. Your store gets very little help from head office and your regional has no power to help improve the store. most people are amazing though super friendly to work with and the store has a nice vibe about it.
Pros
staff discount
Cons
no advancement or support
Not To Good
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Wellington City, Wellington30 January 2018
I didn't enjoy working for Cotton On, one of the reasons being i lived about 64kms away and they would only give me a 3hr shift, i had always asked for more hours but never got it. it wasn't worth going all that way for money that was only paying my fare to get there which was $19 a day. I would only work one day a week which also wasn't what id prefer.
Cons
Not enough hours, rude staff members
fun Workplace
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Queen Street, Auckland9 January 2018
Loved working in the retail industry because I meet new people meet their needs and am happy to see them walk away happy with what, they have purchased. And i enjoy the work environment.
Pros
discounts
busy environment
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Auckland CBD, Auckland13 December 2017
very busy environment, learned keeping up with crowd and leave store neat, KPI driven and a lots of up selling. Included long hours however were the most exciting hours.
Pros
lot of foot traffic
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wellington City, Wellington6 December 2017
A typical day would be turning up, folding t-shirts and jeans for a few hours then going on a break only to return back to the same thing. I learned how to fold my jeans, the management is positive. The hardest part is the fact that it doesn't really teach you much. Most enjoyable part is talking to people
Pros
Good people
Cons
repetitive

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Cotton On Group. Our community is ready to answer.