The Cotton On Group
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews
How has this company responded to COVID‑19?
Learn more

The Cotton On Group Employee Reviews for Retail Sales Associate

Typical day at work would entail 8-9 hour shift. Primarily cashier work, dressing room work, racking clothes and putting out new stock. Learned how to further develop time management and communication skills, as well as problem solving. Management overall pleasant to work with. Listened to employee needs and requests and lenient on things such as water breaks, bathroom breaks, etc. However also firm and assertive. Hardest part of job was dealing with problematic, rude or unreasonable customers. However overall good work experience and did not encounter many customers that were too unreasonable. Most enjoyable part of the job was getting to know and hold conversations with the customers and serve customers needs and satisfy desires.
Pros
Good breaks
Cons
Long hours on slow days
very fun, fast-paced, exciting due to new things occurring daily, friendly helpful staff. the staff look after you too when dodgy characters enter store
Pros
50% off storewide
Worked part-time, but was not given as many hours as I wanted to work each week (only two days). Overall great work environment and friendly staff. Good benefits of employee discount on clothing.
I thoroughly enjoyed working for the Cotton On Group, namely in the Typo store. The job culture was fun and light hearted, the team were outgoing and the opportunities for growth were always there.
Enjoyed my time working in the company, the people were lovely and the managers were very professional. I definitely extended my skill set in customer service and learned how to manage a store by myself.
It was always a fun shift with the other members on the team, everyone was full of energy and it was always interesting dealing with different customers every shift. Awesome environment.
Pros
Staff discount
organised fun day being set by our management. Making sure all our tasks are done for the day, meeting new people everyday and most enjoyable helping customers, and getting great feedback from them about our world class experience.
Pros
discounts amazing great work environment, awesome staff
Cons
not enough hours
Great place to work as a first job esp. as a young person just leaving school. Made friends really quickly and felt accepted. Management looked after staff and was really laid back.
Pros
Good social oppurtunities
Cons
really good friendly environment, however management at the Taupo premise needs a cleanup. despite that i really enjoyed working there. the 50% discount made it worth it.
Loved working in the retail industry because I meet new people meet their needs and am happy to see them walk away happy with what, they have purchased. And i enjoy the work environment.
Pros
discounts
Loved working here even though it was only for 4 weeks. i learned a lot and have taken away life changing skills. I made life long friends and learned the importance of retail assistance.
On a typical day of work there would be customers continuously in the store, so we would attend them by giving them the right size of clothing or help them out in the changing rooms. The tidying of the area of the store that we were assigned to was required and was constantly kept clean. The environment of this workplace was very enjoyable and pleasant as all the other workers were very friendly, and would always be willing to help each other out. I have learned to be very patient in any kind of situation as we would have to interact with each customer in a different way. The most enjoyable part of the job was the accepting members of the workplace and the satisfaction of being able to please the customers with their purchase.
Fun team to work with. Excellent staff benefits. Management could be better. Being in retail taught me how to be patient, especially in dealing with a range of customer queries.
Pros
excellent discounts
Cons
instability
Some days busy, some not at all. Management was not as good as the job that I had following SUPRE. Lovely caring co-workers.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Very short lunch breaks
Great friendly environment. Was a great place to learn all the inns and outs of retail. I would definitely love to work there again.
Overall the Cotton On Brand is a awesome work place. You are always busy and there is always something to do in the shop. You need to be very versatile and need to be able to do many activities such as cleaning the store, till sales, customer service, stocking the shop, visual merchandise.
Pros
Staff Discounts, Christmas food presents
Cons
Not allowing enough time to close store
Customer service. Alone in the store 4 or more hours before the next person comes in. learnt how to manage and run the store, how to work and create a positive atmosphere and work well with the team. I felt like I was working harder then needed and never got any gratitude.
I have always wanted to work in retail as I am highly into fashion. I was given this opportunity as a position was available for a Retail Assistant. Enjoyed the employers company etc and enjoyed working in this fun environment of customer service.
Pros
Engaging with customers offering style advice etc
Cares little about their employees. Is happy to have part-timers managing shifts and other part-timers for the same salary. Used to have a time and a quarter wage on Sundays, but suddenly after years revoked that. Company is extremely unorganised especially in its delegation of tasks. No employee not on salary can expect to get a consistent number of hours because the company hires more staff than hours they have to give, in order to have backup staff, who most of the time only get 3 hours a fortnight. A true example of maximising company profits, minimising employee benefits. The only benefit is the 50% off merchandise discount, limited to 20 items a month for part-timers, however this is not given without some benefit to the company, the discount means that employees will buy the products, putting money in their pockets and wear the clothes to work therefore promoting the brand to customers. The company attempts to promote a series of values to its employees, none of which are actually demonstrated by the brand.
My pay was under minimum wage for the total of three years I worked there. Was made to work for free some nights due to messy store, doing Visual Merchandising and having to clean up till early mornings not getting paid.
It was fun but not much hours. Typical day if working in retail side is food handling and customer service
Pros
Free lunches, free passes to rugby games
Cons
On call work only