The Cotton On Group
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

The Cotton On Group Management reviews

New Zealand100 reviews
Productive and fun
Was a great 3 years of learning and growing, just a lot of issues with management and fairness. Put a lot of hard work into the shop and making sure the team ran smoothly, but not a lot of recognition.
Not great
Worked in Auckland for 2 years! Management was horrific. Huge bullying and toxic culture. You get no training and have to deal with difficult situations and people constantly. They did however, give breaks on time, and an hour long. You get a 50% off discount which is good and 'uniform deals' every once in a while which is better than 50% off. Doesnt exactly make up for the fact you're treated badly, but helps soften the blow. Good starting point for someone entering the workforce, they seem to take anyone regardless of experience, but be prepared to be grow thick skin.
Not recognised or paid enough
Expect to constantly be stressed! Never enough staff on and yet they expect the most from people at all times. Too much pressure on upselling to the point where it makes you worried constantly. Not recognised enough for good things done within the company. Do not get paid enough.

However, they have a really generous discount programme and they are good about working around out of work commitments if you have good management above you in store.
It’s a good job depending who your work mates are but management and the company can be so corrupt
Management and the company don’t care about your health and well being eg like depression and personal problems be careful who you trust with personal things because 10/10 gets carried around through management and to other stores 50% off with staff discount which is cool made some really cool friends but management just ain’t it
Fun Workplace
I learnt how to interact with customers in what they needed and made friends through working there. A great working environment, everyone gets along great.
A typical day at work is music, laughter and meeting new people all the time.

The hardest part of the job is the stress of messing up the shipping arrangements and stacking some things but it was also tolerable.

Management is great although a little slack on security as I caught a couple people stealing but got it sorted very quickly after confronting them.
The most enjoyable part is the team members, being able to communicate and have fun whilst being at work, also meeting new people and making new friends.
Pros
Happy Work Environment. Never a dull day.
Cons
Barely any hours.
Fast-paced, busy and overall enjoyable workplace
Typical day at work would entail 8-9 hour shift. Primarily cashier work, dressing room work, racking clothes and putting out new stock. Learned how to further develop time management and communication skills, as well as problem solving.
Management overall pleasant to work with. Listened to employee needs and requests and lenient on things such as water breaks, bathroom breaks, etc. However also firm and assertive. Hardest part of job was dealing with problematic, rude or unreasonable customers. However overall good work experience and did not encounter many customers that were too unreasonable. Most enjoyable part of the job was getting to know and hold conversations with the customers and serve customers needs and satisfy desires.
Pros
Good breaks
Cons
Long hours on slow days
Fun workplace
Working for Cotton on group was fun. Depending on the store manger you will get rewarded for hard work.

You can not trust management with your bussiness because the staff always find out.
Pros
50% staff discount
Cons
can't trust management.
Not good
Worked for Kids in Auckland and it was a hassle. The management sucks and the regional is awful, and working with people who don’t pull there weight are the worst. I loved the company and the people who I work with but it has gone down hill once I left and I’m glad that I did. I’ve meet so many amazing people and loved the experience but I would never recommend working for kids until management has changed and actually focus on the workers
Pros
Discount
fun work place
organised fun day being set by our management. Making sure all our tasks are done for the day, meeting new people everyday and most enjoyable helping customers, and getting great feedback from them about our world class experience.
Pros
discounts amazing great work environment, awesome staff
Cons
not enough hours
Fun work place
Great place to work as a first job esp. as a young person just leaving school. Made friends really quickly and felt accepted. Management looked after staff and was really laid back.
Pros
Good social oppurtunities
friendly workmates
really good friendly environment, however management at the Taupo premise needs a cleanup. despite that i really enjoyed working there. the 50% discount made it worth it.
Fun workplace
A typical day would be turning up, folding t-shirts and jeans for a few hours then going on a break only to return back to the same thing. I learned how to fold my jeans, the management is positive. The hardest part is the fact that it doesn't really teach you much. Most enjoyable part is talking to people
Pros
Good people
Cons
repetitive
awesome company
great management team and a very involved company, work hard and theres a lot of room for progression.
can be quite demanding on setting up VM with low numbers of staff which can be an issue, and starting really early before store opens.
Fun place to work
I was a christmas casual so i only worked there for 3 months and in that time there was a lot of issue with management , the store manager changed three times while i was there. But it was fun to work there and help people with their christmas shopping or just with fashion advice.
Pros
discount
Cons
lonely when working on your own with no customer coming in
fast paced, fun work environment
I enjoy working here. I started as a Christmas Casual in early November, and now been asked to stay on for a shift or 2 each week permanently.

The team and environment of the company is great, I felt included and was trained well to gain experience with customers and customer service.

Typical day, I would make the store look tidy, talk to/greet customers, put out stock and handle the till.

I see management frequently as they visit the store, they are a little bit intimidating, but overall nice people.
Pros
great team and environment, 50% staff discount
Cons
short shifts for normal days (not christmas time)
Fun environment and excellent benefits
Fun team to work with. Excellent staff benefits. Management could be better. Being in retail taught me how to be patient, especially in dealing with a range of customer queries.
Pros
excellent discounts
Cons
instability
Part-Time
selling products, customer service, making sure store is tidy, till work, web orders, opening and closing the store.

How to make a sale, dealing with customers needs, keeping store tidy and formal, dealing with deliveries, online orders,

Management was always good and organised

Co-workers were really nice, helping and worked as a team

Carrying deliveries because most of the boxes were heavy and there was always a big load of stock coming in three or four times a week

Enjoyed the work team and the customers
Pros
Good work team and discounts
Cons
not enough hours
A Place to learn skills as a High School Student
Some days busy, some not at all.
Management was not as good as the job that I had following SUPRE. Lovely caring co-workers.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Very short lunch breaks
good for first time retail
it was okay working with cotton on. very good to boost your work experience. management was not good at the time. the manager working for cotton on kids at the time was not present at work as she was having personal problems which lead to her not being at work almost the whole period i was there so all management was put onto a co worker. hardest part of the job was handing the cashier the training for that was very poor.
Pros
good staff discounts
Cons
not enough training
Brilliant life experience!!
This is a challenging job but not without rewards. I have learn a lot from my manager and the job itself. All from people management to KPI, GP, etc. I've worked with people from all walks of life and we worked very well as a team. Have widen my experience in retail operation and management skills with also knowledge of volume trades.

There isn't any hard part of the job mainly beneficial and enjoyable one where I get to work with all the lovely team members; supporting each other and making sure we all succeed as a team.
Pros
Work life balance is encourage in the company thus I have gym training everyday after work
Cons
No a creative role that I'm looking for but benefit a lot from the role
Fun Out Going Company
I loved working in Cotton On because you were dealing with clothes that is services to customers. You advertise what you wear to customer, and customer always asks how to put a look on weather its for business, birthdays, casual or even high important events.

Ive learned the management side of the business such as targets, KPI's, visual merchandising, health and safety, customer relations. and more admin work
Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Cotton On Group. Our community is ready to answer.