The Cotton On Group
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

The Cotton On Group Employee Reviews

New Zealand100 reviews
Good first time experience
Good first time job, but not for the long run. easy interview very relaxed, general questions. Hard to extend hours or to experience other roles to advance career
Not good
Worked for Kids in Auckland and it was a hassle. The management sucks and the regional is awful, and working with people who don’t pull there weight are the worst. I loved the company and the people who I work with but it has gone down hill once I left and I’m glad that I did. I’ve meet so many amazing people and loved the experience but I would never recommend working for kids until management has changed and actually focus on the workers
Pros
Discount
Great learning experience
I found working at cotton on a okay place no doubt i enjoyed the learning as this was my very first job ever and staff were very patient and helpful , the environment and amazing staff discounts but the only thing to take account was being paid fortnightly which was difficult in a sense of budgeting for two weeks and also resigning was a 4 week notice which i think is way to long. The difficult thing about working in a small store with only 3 other workers was the amount of work that was given and only having one worker stay till close on a weekend
Pros
Staff discounts
environment
Lovely people to work with, awesome environment. I learnt a lot of new things. Cotton on was a place that i loved to work at and enjoyed every moment.
Pros
Free Lunch Sometimes
Cons
Long Hours
fun work place
organised fun day being set by our management. Making sure all our tasks are done for the day, meeting new people everyday and most enjoyable helping customers, and getting great feedback from them about our world class experience.
Pros
discounts amazing great work environment, awesome staff
Cons
not enough hours
Good workplace
Has matched my schedule to adjust to my other commitments like studying, and has overall been a lovely work environment with great co-workers. Great for studying.
I hate this company
If you want to feel over-worked, underpaid and under-appreciated this is the perfect place to work. The head office is very unprofessional and I when I was younger there was 5 seperate times a head office member had made me cry. The is not a single manager in Nelson that works under this company that could tell you their experience has been thoroughly good.
Pros
my personal instore managers
Cons
pay, head office
Fun work place
Great place to work as a first job esp. as a young person just leaving school. Made friends really quickly and felt accepted. Management looked after staff and was really laid back.
Pros
Good social oppurtunities
friendly workmates
really good friendly environment, however management at the Taupo premise needs a cleanup. despite that i really enjoyed working there. the 50% discount made it worth it.
ok if you're young
Career advancement seems to only be for those who are well liked. If you aren't buddies with the regional or store manager then you basically just get hours and basic responsibility. Your store gets very little help from head office and your regional has no power to help improve the store. most people are amazing though super friendly to work with and the store has a nice vibe about it.
Pros
staff discount
Cons
no advancement or support
Not To Good
I didn't enjoy working for Cotton On, one of the reasons being i lived about 64kms away and they would only give me a 3hr shift, i had always asked for more hours but never got it. it wasn't worth going all that way for money that was only paying my fare to get there which was $19 a day. I would only work one day a week which also wasn't what id prefer.
Cons
Not enough hours, rude staff members
fun Workplace
Loved working in the retail industry because I meet new people meet their needs and am happy to see them walk away happy with what, they have purchased. And i enjoy the work environment.
Pros
discounts
busy environment
very busy environment, learned keeping up with crowd and leave store neat, KPI driven and a lots of up selling. Included long hours however were the most exciting hours.
Pros
lot of foot traffic
Fun workplace
A typical day would be turning up, folding t-shirts and jeans for a few hours then going on a break only to return back to the same thing. I learned how to fold my jeans, the management is positive. The hardest part is the fact that it doesn't really teach you much. Most enjoyable part is talking to people
Pros
Good people
Cons
repetitive
Brief summary
Casual Christmas sales assistant at the time working there, They had a lot tasks to be given out which meant there is a lot of work to do, you are never really doing nothing. There is always something you could find yourself doing.

A lot of different ethnic group of individuals which is good.

Hardest part of the job.. will have to be that there are hardly any space and for employees to interact on breaks.
Pros
in CBD, open to a lot of space and stores to wander
Cons
big store, repetitive task everyday, same disc music everyday
Quiet, chill, and a good to place to work that's stress free.
On my first day, I was fortunate enough to work along side my sister's best friend who was a manager there. She showed me around, and depleted most of my shyness around the people there. The workers there were great, and would try to strike up conversations with me when I'm quiet. I was pretty shy on my first day since I knew virtually no one there, but a couple of workers did strike up some conversations with me and teaching me how to use the stock taking device. I learned how to stock take and work cooperatively in an environment where everyone is practically focusing and doing the same work as me.

Hardest part of my job is standing up for a long period of time. That can get very tiring, especially when the clothes are at a higher level. My shoulders got tired, and keeping my arms up was hard. On the brighter side, I enjoyed the people there and how happy they seemed to be even after how depressing the job is.
Pros
Free lunch (pizzas), adequate pay rate for a student
Cons
Prolonged hours, 4 hours can feel like 8 hours.
Average
a typical work day is overworked and not a fun atmosphere. I learnt how to do VM. The hardest part was the cotton on group not being flexible. The most enjoyable part was the people.
awesome company
great management team and a very involved company, work hard and theres a lot of room for progression.
can be quite demanding on setting up VM with low numbers of staff which can be an issue, and starting really early before store opens.
Fun place to work
I was a christmas casual so i only worked there for 3 months and in that time there was a lot of issue with management , the store manager changed three times while i was there. But it was fun to work there and help people with their christmas shopping or just with fashion advice.
Pros
discount
Cons
lonely when working on your own with no customer coming in
Great company, Great people !
Great overall work ethic within the teams
Company focuses on maintaining good relationship with the employees. Overall would definately recommend such a company.
new faces different job
good way to kill time have to have so much patience when doing small products such as hair ties bangles but was fun and different
job to do easy money .
Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Cotton On Group. Our community is ready to answer.