The Just Group

The Just Group Employee Reviews

New Zealand23 reviews

3.5Work–Life Balance

Good work -

Basic RF scanningPick & Packing.Very straight forward easy to learn work.Mostly Clothes, shoes accessories.Poor Manger when i was there, She made the environment not pleasant to work in.

Would never work for them again

Would never work for them again - culture work life balance staff retention all terrible. Health and safety for staff was never a priority. Customers were literally concerned for our health and safety.

Don’t Do It!

great first time job if yu start out as a xmas casual, you can learn so much and pick up some vital retail/customer service skills. But just like people told me, once you become a key holder prepare to be used and abused! management are so focused on keeping within budget they’ll leave you with only 3 hour cover on busy days and if you have a problem with that “maybe you should’ve worked harder to meet the budget” the stress you get for a a measly 50c-80c (more than minimum) is ridiculous and although head office say they’re there for you, they really aren’t. The list goes on in the ways they overwork their employees too. Please be very wary before applying with this company! (this is coming from experience in the Smiggle brand)

HO are a nightmare but the team are amazing

It became apparent quite quickly that this was not company I wanted to stay at. Salary is ridiculously low barely above min wage for the work put on teams. Don't provide heating areas for food or a place to sit. Switching around Public Holidays so days in lieu didn't have to be paid. Shocking behavior from any head office.

Pros

The team is amazing, 50% discount but a limit on purchases that can be made with discount

Cons

Everything else

Fast paced - no mucking around

Typical day at work was fast paced. You have a target to meet and you are required to finish it in the day, which was fine because it was something to work towards. The big boss always made sure there was work to do when the daily targets were met which was also a bonus. I guess the hardest thing for me was the work culture. There was always issues brewing and it affected me mentally being there with gossiping within the staff. I enjoyed my hours. I worked 5:00 - 1:30pm which was suitable for my daughters schooling arrangements. The big boss was very compassionate to those struggling or dealing with personal issues and so were the admin staff. I learnt admin work, picking, dealing with computer issues, and being apart of the team that dealt with daily returns of packages and products. I started as a temp and worked for 4 months before being employed as a full time warehouse assistant. Overall my experience was a good one. I would just say that the work culture within the shifts operating are poor.

Run!

I worked for the Just Group for over 3 years in 2 different brands, as an Assistant Store Manager and then as a Store Manager. Assistant Store Managers are paid 50c more than Keyholders but are expected to basically do the same duties as a Store Manager who is paid roughly $5 more. Quite often the expectations are so ridiculous and unattainable due to very low base roster hours and also lack of head office support. Regional managers are very good at gaslighting people and are very unsupportive. There is a lot of pressure on the store management team to train junior team members but regionals are terrible at training the management team. There is a bullying culture deeply ingrained in the company that no one wants to address or even acknowledge. There is no recognition for hard work or achieving targets.

Pros

50% off in store. Met amazing people.

Cons

A lot of pressure. No support from head office.

Was an....experience

Worked as a ptimer for just 5 months then became manager. Was never probably trained and when I wanted to leave to persue a better career they SIGNED a perminant contract in my behalf. I was working under NO contract pretty much my whole time of employment non working security cameras. Non working toilet. Non drinkable water onsite. Estremly cold during winter because no heating. Extremely hot during summer because no AC

Cons

Eveything

Worst group

Cons: - understaffed - high expectations - bad pay - no rewards - hard tasks - high stress - little support from regionals worked here for 4 years and never had a pay rise???? and within the whole stress, I was overworked and underpaid. There have been many times I have managed the store and got no appreciation. I have worked so much overtime and was never compensated for my hard work, or given recognition. Pretty bad with shift hours to, 3-hour shifts to, if you have to travel it's not worth it. People will throw you under the bus like it's your fault if you don't make the targets for the day. Individual and group KPI can be unreasonable sometimes. I have worked in many stores and was never rewarded for my success, or given some recognition for making great sales and exceeding budgets for the day. Unless you want to be underpaid, highly stressed and be in an intense work environment I would look elsewhere.

Overworked and Under Appreciated

- I was employed with The Just Group for just over 3 years. Zero or little care was showen towards their loyal and hardworking staff, overworking them to utter exhaustion without a thought to the mental and physical state. Regionals and Senior members will throw store management under the bus rather than looking closer at the real issues as to why not all tasks were completed on time especially during busy periods (school holidays, Easter and Christmas break). - EXTREME pressure placed on myself and team with ridiculous and unrealistic expectations due to constant staff shortages and hours being trimmed down to “CUT COSTS for the business” to only a 3 hour cover for a second staff member to help and allow for a lunch break (which more often than not was not taken) due to all the daily tasks which include: - 20+ boxes of stock to unpack. - Steaming product and tagging. - Greeting all customers in store and providing a A grade service aswell as monitoring any loss prevention issues. - Constantly striving to hit unattainable budgets and keeping all members motivated with little reward from Head Office. - Don’t expect to ever get paid for any of you over time, which unfortunately you will need to put in if you wish for your store to be successful. Sometimes even staying behind till 10pm, or any gratitude as Regional managers are quick to point out that it is your choice to stay behind and/or go in early, however pressuring you to make this decision by comparing your figures and tasks that were unable to be completed that day with other stores who have far more hours -

Would not recommend.

i have worked with the just group for over a year (NZ based). When i first joined the group i enjoyed the work for the first 3 months. The job itself is fun, however, i would not reccomend working for The Just Group. This is due to staffing issues, extremely poor management skills from regionals and a lack of support. The feeling in this company is that there is no care for staff as they are all "replaceable". The pay is a joke, and career advancement is rare. They seem to be very KPI driven and lack staff motivation. Things such as location of store and other influencing factors are often not taken into account from regionals who are purely focused on money. The recorgnision for hard work and acheivements is not present, other than some sheets of paper saying "Well Done!" (Are we in primary school?). The company culture is becoming unwelcoming and almost drives you away from the Group. The only reason many have stayed in this workplace is the flexiblitiy and to support other staff in store. I hope the Just Group improves its culture and management systems, until then i would reccomend seeking other employment.

Great entry level Job!

Great casual job for school leavers and university students who have a flexible timetable. I learned active listening and customer service. The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new people and helping them prepare for a life-changing moment like interviews or weddings through wardrobe and stylistic choices. The hardest part was having to travel to other places and stores to make up more hours. Great opportunities to expand customer service skills!

Bullying Head Management and Selfish Company.

After working for the Just Group for over two years, Its sad to say I have wasted opportunity here. My work and commitment were never valued or appreciated, and I certainly don’t want anyone to go through what I had endured. You can be overworked and underpaid, mistreated unfairly and bullied to the point of resigning.

Pros

I wish I could think of one.

Cons

Bullying by Senior Management and HR.

Constructive and supportive workplace

Great support in the work environment, especially with team work! Loved working with the staff, everyone had a great work ethic and worked very well together.

Fun environment if you get the right manager at the right brand

The best part of my day was making the customers happy. Whereas the best part of the just groups day is making as much money as possible and while I understand that while I was working there you are required to reach targets everyday it doesn’t say anything about harassing customers until they buy something or ignoring anything else that they might say to you after they have paid. If you can build with your team instead of going into an already built team you will enjoy it a lot more. Definitely would recommend working here but it’s not a career.

Pros

Working in a mall

Cons

Ridiculous expections, management bullying, unappreciated.

Love IT!

I love working at Jayjays, i love the retail environment and the perks are great! theyre always making sure things are good with you and offer extra work when needed. I love the retail environment and overall i just love this job it's the only job ive had where i can't wait to go to work. Sometimes they have you work in some of their other stores such as just jeans or dotti and it's great to have a bit of variety and seeing how other stores operate and things. i just love it

fun workplace and staff

I am passionate about my love for The just group. I had an abundance of fun working for the Wellington store. The team I worked with was one of my favourites and the lower workload makes its easy to balance everything inside and out of work.

Pros

Amazing team

Cons

pay

Good people, lack of acknowledgement and reward

Working in the fast-paced Dressmart Onehunga, there was a never a day of complete rest on a shift. Pros -Working with great team members. -There's always something to do. - mega deals on already reduced product. -Could pick up shifts at other Just Group stores -One hour breaks Cons -Not being acknowledged positively for the hard work done from higher management. - Messy (expected in busy outlets) but didn't have enough hands to make sure store was tidy on time expected to leave. -Hard to advance. - No work dos or team bonding events

summary

good environment and i like the job but poor management. the team leaders and supervisor do not get along and team leader bullied the workers especially casual workers or new temps.

workplace

its alright culture could use more improvement with a bit of staff trips or team work. Hardest part of the job is when the computer plays up haha na nothings really hard its just about doing what needs to be done.

Pros

idk

Cons

idk

Positive and Competitive

Always working as a team to reach our daily/weekly/monthly sales targets and get our incentives. Always a fun and positive atmosphere. Managed well, all of the staff were happy and never short staffed. Started to drop sales towards the end of winter so everyones hours have dropped down which isn't the best thing to happen for someone who is a student like me. Over all enjoyed it but need more hours.

Pros

Free pair of jeans when reach our sales targets!

Cons

Not enough hours!

Fun Worklace

Typical Day: Moving sorting managing stock while talking up sales What I learned: How to manage a store within a set timeframe, how to manage a store by myself Management: 1 year Hardest Part: Not hitting the budget every single day Most enjoyable: Working with the team

Cons

Being by yourself gets boring

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Just Group. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• The Just Group