The Salvation Army
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews
Here to help
Coronavirus update
Information from The Salvation Army:

The Salvation Army Employee Reviews

New Zealand162 reviews
Learning to work with people of different cultures and languages.

Work colleagues are friendly, supportive and helpful. The challenging part of the job is meeting deadlines and planning future goals and activities.

The most enjoyable part and fulfilling part of the ministry is to see people's' lives transform.

I took an early retirement due to my husbands' health.
Voluntary work at The Salvation Army is GREAT !! I had alot of fun aswell as everyone putting a smole kn my face everyday, everyone was so polite and welcoming and I would suggest that job for anyone who would love some great work experience aswell as would like to work in a kind and caring environment.
Had a Great work experience of a bit of every role, friendly environment easily fixed mistakes and it was great to see a smile on people's faces everytime we could help them in any possible way, most of all LOVED THE BABIES &KIDS
I HAD WORKED WITH IN CRÈSHE FOR THE PERIOD OF TIME I DID, Thankyou Salvation Army for giving me the opportunity to do voluntary work for yous I enjoyed it and really appreciate it
Overall good service to work with. work available over Xmas overtime pay also . Always up to date training and refresher course. Courses paid for by Salvation Army. Sick leave and holiday pay available to casual workers.
Pros
meals with shifts
Cons
not enough time with co workers
Sallys is a good place to work in people are great you get to see different people in need coming through that you would want to assist.
Only down fall is the Pay Rise for a truck driver class 2.
Pros
discount for clothing is all and paid end of year christmas dinner
Cons
Don't really do long hours probably once in a blue moon.
At my volunteering job for the salvation army the colleagues that i worked with were always super nice and inviting - definitely one of the most relaxed and friendliest places to work at but the reward of knowing that you are helping someone in need is the true reward of the job.
It was interesting and fun around people and I was very excited especially the few first weeks. It had a lovely manager and stuff members.Working with till was exciting.
I worked as a volunteer to complete the service section of my duke of Edinburgh gold award. I was not paid, did not have an interview process but enjoyed my time there.
The salvation army is a good place to work as a voluntary and good experience to work with them.everyone is a friendly nature. The most enjoyable part of the job
From my short amount of time doing voluntary work there, I have collaborated and learned skills of packing and delivering fruit. Whilst also being surrounded by kind and supportive colleagues that showed me the ropes.
A great place to develop the kind of skills that you can use in any kind of workspace, and develop relationships that will benefit you later on in life.
Very tidy and awesome items that people bring in.
I was pricing all clothes items, setting them in to different categories then hanging the items onto clothes racks, and dusting shelves.
The manger is kind and helpful. Other employers are happy to support each other. They are polite people. I had an opportunity to try different position until I found something interesting to work with.
The typical day of work is wiping down shelves, Carrying donations. what i learned is to stick things out no matter what. The most enjoyable part of the job was giving back to the community. The workplace culture is friendly and supportive
I would be working for free as it was a volunteer job, but it was great seeing people buy people's clothes no one wanted and the money would possibly go to a good cause
Pros
The customers and the old things people would bring it
Cons
No pay
My Experience at the salvation army taught me to love people and to never give up on them . Taught me to deal with people wit lots of issues.The work place culture was good most times. Management of controlling nature. Being with people was most enjoyable part of the day
Pros
flexibility
Cons
too much stress
Don't work here.
Overworked and underpaid.

For a Christian organisation they show no caring towards their workers on the front line.

Hypocritical in that it talks about poverty or the 'working poor' and yet pay below industry standard rates.

They can't recruit / keep good store Managers because of the low wages and poor conditions.

Health & Safety is a low priority for them. When I approached the Officer of H&S issues was told "not my problem" or "we don't have the money to fix that"

They don't live up to their responsibilities as an employer under NZ law. (I know of 2 cases of workers being paid below the minimum wage) I also seen an inexperienced church member given a substantially higher starting pay rate than an experienced person working there for 4 years.

You are expected to work more hours than you are paid for.

Policies differ from location to location.

Often the 'Officer' (or minister) is in over all charge of the store, and as each Parish has it's own budget, quite often another store has better wages or conditions for the same roles.

One year not even a Christmas card for Family Store workers whilst The Church /Office staff went out for a Xmas lunch.

...Bullying culture is rife
Pros
It's a job
Cons
Poor Wages and Conditions
It gave me a nice understanding of how to work in an busy environment and how to manage the tasks given and the customer service.

The other employees were really helpful, kind and cheerful and never scolded me for anything.

PS: I loved to work there and would love to work again but with getting some money.
Pros
Opportunity to have coffee
My experience was limited as I was doing my two-year internship and wasn't exposed to the role in its fullness.
Very busy always something to work on, which is great being busy.

The workplace seemed a little clicky with established groups which at times were exclusive.

The hardest part of the job is wanting to do for others what they are struggling to do for themselves. As I have been in the client's shoes eight years ago and have had continuous sobriety.

The most enjoyable part of the job, is seeing individuals find wellness, sustainable wellness and collecting a great toolbox of new skills to take back into their lives and into the community.
Pros
Having an opportunity to make a difference in others lives
Cons
At times due to the nature of the job I must be more aware of self-care to avoid burnout.
I work hard. The people are very kind, but I have only a few days to work on the week, and I need more.
.......................................................
Pros
people very kind
Cons
few days just to work in week
Unbalanced power in leadership with roles and responsibility given to those with good connections, friendships rather than skills they possess. Some of the best people I've worked with right alongside some of the best. Constant turnover doesn't guarantee a harmonious work environment or style.
Pros
benefits, charity is awesome
Cons
not great pay, gossipy workplace, constant change in leadership for better or worse.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Salvation Army. Our community is ready to answer.
5.9K