The Salvation Army Employee Reviews

Found 156 reviews matching the search See all 12,578 reviews
stocking and doing with the shelves
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  Upper Hutt City, Wellington12 November 2019
It was interesting and fun around people and I was very excited especially the few first weeks. It had a lovely manager and stuff members.Working with till was exciting.
voluntary workplace
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lower Hutt, Wellington31 October 2019
The salvation army is a good place to work as a voluntary and good experience to work with them.everyone is a friendly nature. The most enjoyable part of the job
A friendly and helpful working environment
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  Wellington City, Wellington7 October 2019
From my short amount of time doing voluntary work there, I have collaborated and learned skills of packing and delivering fruit. Whilst also being surrounded by kind and supportive colleagues that showed me the ropes.
A great place to develop skills and relationships
Camp Counselor (Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Wellington City, Wellington9 September 2019
A great place to develop the kind of skills that you can use in any kind of workspace, and develop relationships that will benefit you later on in life.
Overall this establishment is very nice to work in and loving people.
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Thames, Waikato12 August 2019
Very tidy and awesome items that people bring in.
I was pricing all clothes items, setting them in to different categories then hanging the items onto clothes racks, and dusting shelves.
friendly and professional work place
SALE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Hornby, Canterbury17 June 2019
The manger is kind and helpful. Other employers are happy to support each other. They are polite people. I had an opportunity to try different position until I found something interesting to work with.
good working place
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, Waikato8 April 2019
The typical day of work is wiping down shelves, Carrying donations. what i learned is to stick things out no matter what. The most enjoyable part of the job was giving back to the community. The workplace culture is friendly and supportive
Volunteer (?)
SALES ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Paraparaumu, Wellington2 March 2019
I would be working for free as it was a volunteer job, but it was great seeing people buy people's clothes no one wanted and the money would possibly go to a good cause
Pros
The customers and the old things people would bring it
Cons
No pay
IT was a mixture of things more hardship then fun
Salvation army officer (Former Employee) –  Alexandra, Otago26 February 2019
My Experience at the salvation army taught me to love people and to never give up on them . Taught me to deal with people wit lots of issues.The work place culture was good most times. Management of controlling nature. Being with people was most enjoyable part of the day
Pros
flexibility
Cons
too much stress
I wouldn't recommend this workplace
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Miramar, Wellington3 February 2019
Don't work here.
Overworked and underpaid.
For a Christian organisation they show no caring towards their workers on the front line.
Hypocritical in that it talks about poverty or the 'working poor' and yet pay below industry standard rates.
They can't recruit / keep good store Managers because of the low wages and poor conditions.
Health & Safety is a low priority for them. When I approached the Officer of H&S issues was told "not my problem" or "we don't have the money to fix that"
They don't live up to their responsibilities as an employer under NZ law. (I know of 2 cases of workers being paid below the minimum wage) I also seen an inexperienced church member given a substantially higher starting pay rate than an experienced person working there for 4 years.
You are expected to work more hours than you are paid for.
Policies differ from location to location.
Often the 'Officer' (or minister) is in over all charge of the store, and as each Parish has it's own budget, quite often another store has better wages or conditions for the same roles.
One year not even a Christmas card for Family Store workers whilst The Church /Office staff went out for a Xmas lunch.
...Bullying culture is rife
Pros
It's a job
Cons
Poor Wages and Conditions
Fun experience
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Te Rapa, Waikato22 November 2018
It gave me a nice understanding of how to work in an busy environment and how to manage the tasks given and the customer service.

The other employees were really helpful, kind and cheerful and never scolded me for anything.

PS: I loved to work there and would love to work again but with getting some money.
Pros
Opportunity to have coffee
A fantastic Christian foundation, clients get introduced to the idea of a higher power
Internship (Former Employee) –  Auckland27 October 2018
My experience was limited as I was doing my two-year internship and wasn't exposed to the role in its fullness.
Very busy always something to work on, which is great being busy.
The workplace seemed a little clicky with established groups which at times were exclusive.
The hardest part of the job is wanting to do for others what they are struggling to do for themselves. As I have been in the client's shoes eight years ago and have had continuous sobriety.
The most enjoyable part of the job, is seeing individuals find wellness, sustainable wellness and collecting a great toolbox of new skills to take back into their lives and into the community.
Pros
Having an opportunity to make a difference in others lives
Cons
At times due to the nature of the job I must be more aware of self-care to avoid burnout.
Work hard
CLEANER / HOUSEKEEPER (Current Employee) –  Epsom, Auckland12 October 2018
I work hard. The people are very kind, but I have only a few days to work on the week, and I need more.
.......................................................
Pros
people very kind
Cons
few days just to work in week
Lovely charity, challenging workplace.
Director (Former Employee) –  East Coast2 October 2018
Unbalanced power in leadership with roles and responsibility given to those with good connections, friendships rather than skills they possess. Some of the best people I've worked with right alongside some of the best. Constant turnover doesn't guarantee a harmonious work environment or style.
Pros
benefits, charity is awesome
Cons
not great pay, gossipy workplace, constant change in leadership for better or worse.
Productivity
Volunteer Job (Current Employee) –  Christchurch, Canterbury23 September 2018
it is good to do a volunteer job in salvation army because I'm doing a part of helping people. it gives me a strategic way on how to do a visual merchandise of the shop.
warm hearted place
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Auckland City, Auckland22 August 2018
People in New Zealand are really caring. They sent pasta, flour, vegetables and canned fruit, milk powder, bread, and various condiments to the food bank.

We check the effective date, etc., then sort, package, and send it to the person in need.
Busy and fun workplace
Volunteer Retail Assistant (Current Employee) –  Dunedin, Otago13 July 2018
I thoroughly enjoy working here, it is busy and the staff are excellent to work with. It is most enjoyable interacting with the customers and ensuring the store is fully stocked.
Pros
Work experience
Cons
nothing
Loved every minute i worked here
Volunteer Retail (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, 5 Crossroads and Ham East18 June 2018
It was a voluntary role but i loved working with the the ladies who worked here in a supportive and caring environment. Would happily recommend to anyone
Pros
awesome work environment
Cons
unpaid/voluntary
they we're great
Kitchen Hand- Volunteer (Former Employee) –  moorhouse17 June 2018
i loved the place, they were great people, always happy and a good learning environment, my team were great, my tutors were great also. I learnt heap, laughed alot and enjoyed my time there
Pros
loved the work force and studying
fun work place
truck assistant (Former Employee) –  Rotorua, Bay of Plenty20 May 2018
working here was a great experience being able to help the community and also helping people in need. removing furniture was my main roll and i absolutely loved it

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Salvation Army. Our community is ready to answer.

55.4K