The Salvation Army Pay & Benefits reviews

Found 16 reviews matching the search See all 12,489 reviews
I wouldn't recommend this workplace
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Miramar, Wellington3 February 2019
Don't work here.
Overworked and underpaid.
For a Christian organisation they show no caring towards their workers on the front line.
Hypocritical in that it talks about poverty or the 'working poor' and yet pay below industry standard rates.
They can't recruit / keep good store Managers because of the low wages and poor conditions.
Health & Safety is a low priority for them. When I approached the Officer of H&S issues was told "not my problem" or "we don't have the money to fix that"
They don't live up to their responsibilities as an employer under NZ law. (I know of 2 cases of workers being paid below the minimum wage) I also seen an inexperienced church member given a substantially higher starting pay rate than an experienced person working there for 4 years.
You are expected to work more hours than you are paid for.
Policies differ from location to location.
Often the 'Officer' (or minister) is in over all charge of the store, and as each Parish has it's own budget, quite often another store has better wages or conditions for the same roles.
One year not even a Christmas card for Family Store workers whilst The Church /Office staff went out for a Xmas lunch.
...Bullying culture is rife
Pros
It's a job
Cons
Poor Wages and Conditions
Lovely charity, challenging workplace.
Director (Former Employee) –  East Coast2 October 2018
Unbalanced power in leadership with roles and responsibility given to those with good connections, friendships rather than skills they possess. Some of the best people I've worked with right alongside some of the best. Constant turnover doesn't guarantee a harmonious work environment or style.
Pros
benefits, charity is awesome
Cons
not great pay, gossipy workplace, constant change in leadership for better or worse.
Busy workplace
Health Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Thames-Coromandel District, Waikato19 May 2018
Lovely clients. Regular work on a daily basis. Caring coordinators. Sometimes too many hours and long days. Insufficient breaks for meals or for comfort.
Pros
lovely clients
Cons
No meal or comfort breaks.
glad i had a job that helped other people and i could make a difference
House sitting (Former Employee) –  auckland new zealand28 November 2017
i cant it was a long time ago i have too much to do now that is actually going to help my future to take time to write abut something that was a long time ago
dont mean to be difficult but its in the past and in another country ive relocated to Australia and the Salvation Army in Australia is nothing like in \new Zealand
Enjoyable and worth while
Volunteer Worker (Former Employee) –  Botany Downs, Auckland28 November 2017
I enjoyed my time at the Salvation Army shop because the staff were friendly and helpful. The experience taught me how to deal with customers and how to follow instructions
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
The hours were to short
Very Rewarding Work
Receptionist/Administrator (Former Employee) –  Mount Eden, Auckland3 August 2017
Very rewarding work, seeing peoples lives changed and being a contributing link in the chain. The work was about people rather than profit and it is an environment I am most at ease in.
Pros
People centred not profit centred
Cons
Charitable organisation so salary not adequate for demands of the role
Busy and varied work environment
Fun team, worked a lot on own and management always provided good level of support. On-going training was provided and managers wiling to listen to ideas to provide best service to the clients.
Long hours involved weekend and night shifts, was recognised in the salary and on-going support from managers.
Cons
productive and fun work place
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  Wellington Central, Wellington12 June 2017
My job was to put tags on all the clothes they had then put them on hooks and hang them up. It was pretty easy to be honest, I was always sitting down so thats probably why. Everyone there were nice, they always complimented me hahaha. It would of been better if I got paid tho. mel, (the store manager) was pretty laid back, probably coz I lways listend to her and made sure Iwas doing the right things so I didnt have to do them again all the staff there were pretty organised and on to it.
Pros
Free lunches
Friendly
Retail and Storing (Former Employee) –  Papakura, Auckland7 March 2017
I volunteered in the holidays and everyone was always every friendly and outgoing. People were so loving and stood buy each others side. everything was always kept fair and if you were sitting alone to eat your lunch they would come and sit next to you.
Pros
kind, caring, fair, honest, free lunches sometimes
Cons
no cons
Product and fun
Retail assistant (Former Employee) –  Auckland, Auckland20 September 2016
Was my first retail job and I got to say it was amazing learning about targets and customer service. Was a good environment to be in and was definitely amazing place to work in.
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
Long Hours
Volunterring
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Auckland, Auckland30 August 2016
I learnt how to be specific and help salvation army raise money for charity,The hardest part of this job was encouraging everyone to help out and be a part of one of us to raise money. The most enjoyable part of this volunteering was communicating with everyone and raising money for people over in different countries that need our help.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Short terms of hours
Excellent place to work and learn culture - International student
Retail Assistant (Current Employee) –  Te Rapa, Waikato23 April 2016
Being as international student it's important to work voluntary to better understand the kiwi culture and there is no better place to work apart from Salvation army.
Pros
Free Coffee for staff during working hours
Cons
nothing
I love the training SAHC
Health Care Assistance (Caregiver) (Current Employee) –  Tauranga, New Zealand1 March 2016
I am reliable, hard working and have an excellent communication skill in English. Where i work they like me very much and can depend on me. I am confident about to take care the elderly aged people and can look after the disable people also with the special needs.
Pros
Good wages, Good co-workers, Free training
Cons
have to travel a lot
friendly attmoshere
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Auckland, N16 January 2016
I enjoy working with the elderly and helping them out , I just need a better pay rate , staff and workmates are good .
we try to keep the elderly independent as long as possible in there own home before they go to retriement village or rest home
Pros
friendly staff and work mates when meet on a course
Cons
pay could be a bit higher
nice & lovely place to work
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  auckland30 September 2013
sorting clothes,
pricing,
cleaning
nice staff and people to work with, fun, kind caring people
Pros
free lunch
Cons
short hours