The Salvation Army
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews
Here to help
Coronavirus update
Information from The Salvation Army:

The Salvation Army Pay & Benefits reviews

New Zealand162 reviews
Overall good service to work with. work available over Xmas overtime pay also . Always up to date training and refresher course. Courses paid for by Salvation Army. Sick leave and holiday pay available to casual workers.
Pros
meals with shifts
Cons
not enough time with co workers
Sallys is a good place to work in people are great you get to see different people in need coming through that you would want to assist.
Only down fall is the Pay Rise for a truck driver class 2.
Pros
discount for clothing is all and paid end of year christmas dinner
Cons
Don't really do long hours probably once in a blue moon.
Don't work here.
Overworked and underpaid.

For a Christian organisation they show no caring towards their workers on the front line.

Hypocritical in that it talks about poverty or the 'working poor' and yet pay below industry standard rates.

They can't recruit / keep good store Managers because of the low wages and poor conditions.

Health & Safety is a low priority for them. When I approached the Officer of H&S issues was told "not my problem" or "we don't have the money to fix that"

They don't live up to their responsibilities as an employer under NZ law. (I know of 2 cases of workers being paid below the minimum wage) I also seen an inexperienced church member given a substantially higher starting pay rate than an experienced person working there for 4 years.

You are expected to work more hours than you are paid for.
Policies differ from location to location.

Often the 'Officer' (or minister) is in over all charge of the store, and as each Parish has it's own budget, quite often another store has better wages or conditions for the same roles.

One year not even a Christmas card for Family Store workers whilst The Church /Office staff went out for a Xmas lunch.

...Bullying culture is rife
Pros
It's a job
Cons
Poor Wages and Conditions
Unbalanced power in leadership with roles and responsibility given to those with good connections, friendships rather than skills they possess. Some of the best people I've worked with right alongside some of the best. Constant turnover doesn't guarantee a harmonious work environment or style.
Pros
benefits, charity is awesome
Cons
not great pay, gossipy workplace, constant change in leadership for better or worse.
Lovely clients. Regular work on a daily basis. Caring coordinators. Sometimes too many hours and long days. Insufficient breaks for meals or for comfort.
Pros
lovely clients
Cons
No meal or comfort breaks.
I had lots of fun at the salvation army. I got to see how many people were touched by getting food hampers and gifts for Christmas. I recommend anyone to do this to help the community.
Pros
friendly staff
Cons
i learned customer service, time management. the most enjoyable part of the job was working with customers and helping raise money to help the salvation army help others.
i cant it was a long time ago i have too much to do now that is actually going to help my future to take time to write abut something that was a long time ago
dont mean to be difficult but its in the past and in another country ive relocated to Australia and the Salvation Army in Australia is nothing like in \new Zealand
Very rewarding work, seeing peoples lives changed and being a contributing link in the chain. The work was about people rather than profit and it is an environment I am most at ease in.
Pros
People centred not profit centred
Cons
Charitable organisation so salary not adequate for demands of the role
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at The Salvation Army?
Fun team, worked a lot on own and management always provided good level of support. On-going training was provided and managers wiling to listen to ideas to provide best service to the clients.
Long hours involved weekend and night shifts, was recognised in the salary and on-going support from managers.
Cons
My job was to put tags on all the clothes they had then put them on hooks and hang them up. It was pretty easy to be honest, I was always sitting down so thats probably why. Everyone there were nice, they always complimented me hahaha. It would of been better if I got paid tho. mel, (the store manager) was pretty laid back, probably coz I lways listend to her and made sure Iwas doing the right things so I didnt have to do them again all the staff there were pretty organised and on to it.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
I volunteered in the holidays and everyone was always every friendly and outgoing. People were so loving and stood buy each others side. everything was always kept fair and if you were sitting alone to eat your lunch they would come and sit next to you.
Pros
kind, caring, fair, honest, free lunches sometimes
Cons
no cons
Was my first retail job and I got to say it was amazing learning about targets and customer service. Was a good environment to be in and was definitely amazing place to work in.
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
Long Hours
I learnt how to be specific and help salvation army raise money for charity,The hardest part of this job was encouraging everyone to help out and be a part of one of us to raise money. The most enjoyable part of this volunteering was communicating with everyone and raising money for people over in different countries that need our help.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Short terms of hours
Being as international student it's important to work voluntary to better understand the kiwi culture and there is no better place to work apart from Salvation army.
Pros
Free Coffee for staff during working hours
Cons
nothing
I enjoy working with the elderly and helping them out , I just need a better pay rate , staff and workmates are good .
we try to keep the elderly independent as long as possible in there own home before they go to retriement village or rest home
Pros
friendly staff and work mates when meet on a course
Cons
pay could be a bit higher
I find I enjoy helping others and get great reward from doing so .
I am at the shop working 7 days a week and only get paid for 20 hr a week this in it self so my commitment to helping others .

it is a very family atmosphere at the store great crowed to work with .
Pros
helping others
Cons
low paid hours
Because I was a volunteer the work was easy and very flexible! Loved working there! Manager was good to communicate with.
sorting clothes,
pricing,

cleaning

nice staff and people to work with, fun, kind caring people
Pros
free lunch
Cons
short hours