University of Auckland

University of Auckland Employee Reviews

New Zealand121 reviews

4.2Work–Life Balance

Good place to work for

I worked here as a TA during my study,Work is well balanced and well-paid. All the staffs are nice and easy to work with. It was a pleasurable work experience.

Pros

Pay, relaxed working environment

Cons

Can’t think of any for now

Toxic anti innovation culture

Lots of potential, very interesting job, but massive obstacles to going new things and thinking outside the box, and little reward for good performance

High work load but good pay

Good pay for someone who is still studying and working the job part-time. The role has a high work load though, and can be stressful as it takes up a lot of your time. Can be rewarding when students are appreciative of the tutorial.

Very flexible environment with horrible bearucracy

It's in the title, really: paid leave is great, flexibility, training options (if you're looking for them and do not expect them to be paid for).However, general quality of management is poor, problems are usually just swept under the carpet, voicing a different opinion is often pointless if not downright counterproductive as you get labelled as 'difficult' and that stalls your career.

If you enjoy a back to school environment it's great

The tasks are routine. Getting on with the daily schedule. Making sound decisions.fot the betterment of the days activities. Follow up on events of the previous day.

Pros

Easy to do, good training

Cons

Long hours, night shift

Not bad not great

Low turn over - same people working for several decades in the same department, which isnt good. work life balance is great. Parking is terrible and commute is not fun.

Pros

good work life balance

Cons

same people working for years

Zero stress, great work life balance and an independence of working

UoA provides a great balance between work and life, the focus on mental health and well-being is superb. Independent work culture is observed. Lots of support is provided.

The best 9.5 years of work

Working at the University was confidence building and for the most part very supportive.Work goes in waves of fast paced and general day to day relaxed. Usually the team has different times of fast and relaxed so you ask the ones that are busy if they need help.Teamwork was so important there.My most enjoyable experience was working with the students to make their lives a little bit easier.They were the ones that kept me going. If you are not student focussed you should not work there.

Productive and fun workplace

Overall a good place to work. Clear instruction has been given. Also the teachers are nice and colleague are helpful. Easy to know what I should do from the beginning.

very productive

Had a wonderful team while working with the university of Auckland, very organized structure of payroll and administration, my team leader was very good in collaborating.

Fun place where you want to learn more

Since its a university and it gets pretty busy during the day everyone is doing their own job, since I was new there and I was on job training , I would call up my boss and he helped me in every situation and was very accommodating.

I enjoyed working with other team members. It helped me with networking with other departments. The University of Auckland provided me with various opportunities for professional growth related activities.

Pros

Easy to manage student life

Cons

limited hours

Team spirit

Every Monday morning was a celebration of accomplishments and every second Friday afternnon was an afternoon tea celebrations for being who we are. Our Director for the Alumni & Development was a competent and an amazing leader. The development team were a very educated and fun bunch. The team ran and achieved the biggest fundraising campaign in the history of NZ +$300M

Terrible employer

It was a really horrible place to work. You wouldn't see your colleagues most days and when you did they were very demoralised. Managers were just careerists who had no genuine interest in their staff. The whole place had a constant air of crisis about it and the managers were constantly reminding staff that there was little job security. They never treated their staff as skilled professionals. You'd be mad to work here. The salary was good by Auckland standards but there was little chance for career progression.

I did enjoy my work at The University of Auckland and I was very lucky to have a kind, generous and open-minded boss - YN. Being an office admin, I've also learnt a lot of different tasks. It was a rewarding job.

Mentally challenging

Enjoyable and collaborative work environment. Presented at conferences and produced articles. Mentally challenging. Good work environment. Was unpaid position

Management is over-paid, while people who do the daily grind are under-paid.

Management is not open and collaborative. They make decisions without discussing it with staff. They do not really know what happens on the ground. $5M was found to buy a house for the new VC, but they don't have money to pay the staff a decent salary.

Excellent Environment

I loved working here, the staff, the environment, everything. i always had a lot of work on my desk to do but it made me happy to constantly be busy. I worked with a great team and that made the job even better.

Overall pleasant and would highly recommend

Overall pleasant and would highly recommend. Has a nice pace. Relaxed yet very stimulating environment Teaches one to take ownership and grow Has a very strong blue work culture

Challenging and Fun

I tutor with a partner, delivering the lab content that is more to the practical side of the course such as using a certain software (ARIS, SAP). I also mark students assignment, test and exam. It is pretty challenging to deal with different students however our supervisor is so supportive and helpful.

Productive and Challenging

I am in research and the University of Auckland, which is a fine institution in New Zealand. The work place is very nice and comfortable. My boss is very kind, organized, and well intentioned. He is extremely intelligent and supportive of career advancement.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Auckland. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• University of Auckland