University of Auckland
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

University of Auckland Employee Reviews

New Zealand110 reviews
I enjoyed working with other team members. It helped me with networking with other departments. The University of Auckland provided me with various opportunities for professional growth related activities.
Pros
Easy to manage student life
Cons
limited hours
Team spirit
Every Monday morning was a celebration of accomplishments and every second Friday afternnon was an afternoon tea celebrations for being who we are. Our Director for the Alumni & Development was a competent and an amazing leader. The development team were a very educated and fun bunch. The team ran and achieved the biggest fundraising campaign in the history of NZ +$300M
Terrible employer
It was a really horrible place to work. You wouldn't see your colleagues most days and when you did they were very demoralised. Managers were just careerists who had no genuine interest in their staff. The whole place had a constant air of crisis about it and the managers were constantly reminding staff that there was little job security. They never treated their staff as skilled professionals. You'd be mad to work here. The salary was good by Auckland standards but there was little chance for career progression.
I did enjoy my work at The University of Auckland and I was very lucky to have a kind, generous and open-minded boss - YN.

Being an office admin, I've also learnt a lot of different tasks. It was a rewarding job.
Mentally challenging
Enjoyable and collaborative work environment. Presented at conferences and produced articles. Mentally challenging. Good work environment. Was unpaid position
Management is over-paid, while people who do the daily grind are under-paid.
Management is not open and collaborative. They make decisions without discussing it with staff. They do not really know what happens on the ground.
$5M was found to buy a house for the new VC, but they don't have money to pay the staff a decent salary.
Excellent Environment
I loved working here, the staff, the environment, everything. i always had a lot of work on my desk to do but it made me happy to constantly be busy. I worked with a great team and that made the job even better.
Overall pleasant and would highly recommend
Overall pleasant and would highly recommend.
Has a nice pace.

Relaxed yet very stimulating environment

Teaches one to take ownership and grow

Has a very strong blue work culture
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at University of Auckland?
UniServices - Ruined by aloof, arrogant corporate stooges
Note: Auckland UniServices Limited is a quasi-private entity, essentially the commercialisation and marketing component, of the University of Auckland.

Pros: It's a paycheck. Work with some interesting academics and researchers. Beautiful views of Auckland from the office. Close to bus stops to take buses that can take you almost anywhere around the city. The president and COO are actually positive and upbeat, and have a great vision for where they want to take the organization.

Cons: Aloof, unfriendly coworkers (not all, but generally); antithetical to an otherwise very friendly Kiwi population. An attitude of, "We don't care that you're new at this job, figure it out quickly and we're not helping you." Managers who accuse staff of laziness, even when said staff have demonstrated otherwise. Self-congratulatory office politics and culture. "Cold" staff in the president's office and People & Culture who don't respond to emails, and respond to in-person inquiries otherwise in a terse fashion. The pay isn't enough for Auckland's cost of living. Bureaucratically complex, even my government standards.

The most enjoyable part of the job was getting on that bus at the end of the work day and going home.
Challenging and Fun
I tutor with a partner, delivering the lab content that is more to the practical side of the course such as using a certain software (ARIS, SAP). I also mark students assignment, test and exam.

It is pretty challenging to deal with different students however our supervisor is so supportive and helpful.
Productive and Challenging
I am in research and the University of Auckland, which is a fine institution in New Zealand. The work place is very nice and comfortable. My boss is very kind, organized, and well intentioned. He is extremely intelligent and supportive of career advancement.
Working at University of Auckland
Its an excellent workplace with lot of work-life balance and minimal stress. Though at times it lacks advancement in career. Also, the review process does not really get translated in salary upgrade.
Studied Engineering
Studied Bachelors of Engineering at University of Auckland.

Situated near the Auckland CBD i enjoyed the challenging degree and the friends made along this journey.
Excellent research environment
The university is ranked No. 1 in New Zealand and on top universities of the world. The facility is advanced, however, the process might take a long time to process.
Ther are many great supervisors who are willing to support you on your research.
A fun and productive position
Running an international group for my faculty enables me to effectively communicate with a wide range of people from all over the world. The hardest part is to get enough international students to engage in the activities that we intend to do. However, it effectively enhances my inter-personal and communicative skills.
Great benefit for employees with young family
The University has good benefits for employees especially those with young family. However, other institutions offer better salaries and career progression. As for the workplace culture, it depends on the team and the management within that team. Some are not flexible and very directive. I was lucky to be in a team with very supportive management who advocates on our behalf.
Student support
I received student and provided guidance to new students, as a part of the international student team. it was fun work and it improved my social skills.
Pros
Good experience
Cons
only short period of time
Part time teaching was good
Part-time teaching while doing a PhD. Applied and took on various teaching jobs and courses depending on semester and year. Teaching was fun. However, depending on the courses like design courses, it takes up a lot of time.
Good opportunities to learn about interesting project.
Good opportunities to learn about an interesting project. However, contract processing is taking forever. The professor is helping to make everything works.
Good work/life balance
Culture at the University is good. A lot of great people who want you to succeed. Some old legacy systems do hold back current projects and everyone seems to complain about them but not much is done to optimise or replace them.
Learn on the Job
Learnt a lot in the process and was able to balance this job with the rest of my uni studies. The job was fairly straight forward and it was great being able to help students with modules you have done in the past. The teaching staff are absolutely amazing and help boost your confidence.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Auckland. Our community is ready to answer.
4.4