University of Auckland
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

University of Auckland Employee Reviews for Research Assistant

Research Assistant9 reviews
New Zealand9 reviews
Good opportunities to learn about an interesting project. However, contract processing is taking forever. The professor is helping to make everything works.
This was another employment opportunity that lasted 3 months, over the summer period between high-school and university. I was lucky enough to heavily involved in the lab component of a medical students summer research project, which was published in a Medical Journal. This was my first publication, but I hope it is not my last.

This employment gave me the opportunity to explore the basic surgical research method, and helped me meet some incredible individuals. As I was new to research at the time, it was an extremely challenging 3 month period, but it was a challenge that I look back on gratefully.

The most enjoyable part of the job was that it required me to be self-motivated and flexible with my time. I worked on my own schedule but had a 3 month deadline to get the research complete by. This meant I had to improve my organisational and self-management skills in a practical way.
Pros
Challenging, Flexible hours, Self-managed
Cons
Commute, Length of Employment
I was a research assistant there for a few months in the psychology department. It was a nice environment with good staff. it was a little difficult getting paid, but it worked out in the end.
I worked as a research assistant to one of the researchers and lecturers and it was great because I had flexible hours and great, interesting work. I learnt a lot from the job experience and I loved the environment.
Being a research assistant is fun at the University of Auckland. The professor is nice and considerable, it is easy to negotiate with them about the working time and work deadlines.

You will be provided comprehensive training before you go to a practical interview. From the training they will teach you tips to ask the questions, relax the interviewees and other skills.

The research fellows are all very nice. You will have equal opportunity to involve in different part of research instead of doing a set of fixed tasks.

It is fun to interact people with multi-cultural backgrounds and see how the trends had changed during the years.
Good place to do research in conservation science as the wildlife of New Zealand is beautiful and so much of it is unspoilt. Friendly team of researchers.
Everyday at The University of Auckland is a positive challenge for both students and staff. They both learn together; students learn new topics and ideas and staff learn how to be better than the day before. Thus, it will not get any routine for people.
to summarize, it is a non-zero sum game, studying/working at the University of Auckland.
Pros
Great people
Cons
time-consuming Paper work, Aweful IT systems
As a Laboratory technician I was responsible for the performing analysis of diary products, mainly in the RG department. My tasks and duties include:
• Fat content analysis on dried and pre-dried milk and cheese products using RG, SBR and free fat methods

• Data entry on results and requests from dryers

• Retest and confirm out-of-spec results

• Laboratoyr equipment calibration and maintenance

• Under go auditing
Pros
team work
Cons
self-explorer
Intelligent ans Smart people all over around as I worked with PhD's and other high qualified students.
A typical day at work was finding the students asking for help and willing to help too.

I learn to share knowledge, to be critic and be criticised.