University of Auckland

New Zealand121 reviews

Clear
4.2Work–Life Balance
3.7Job Security & Advancement

Zero stress, great work life balance and an independence of working

UoA provides a great balance between work and life, the focus on mental health and well-being is superb. Independent work culture is observed. Lots of support is provided.

Toxic anti innovation culture

Lots of potential, very interesting job, but massive obstacles to going new things and thinking outside the box, and little reward for good performance

Very flexible environment with horrible bearucracy

It's in the title, really: paid leave is great, flexibility, training options (if you're looking for them and do not expect them to be paid for).However, general quality of management is poor, problems are usually just swept under the carpet, voicing a different opinion is often pointless if not downright counterproductive as you get labelled as 'difficult' and that stalls your career.

Not bad not great

Low turn over - same people working for several decades in the same department, which isnt good. work life balance is great. Parking is terrible and commute is not fun.

Pros

good work life balance

Cons

same people working for years

I enjoyed working with other team members. It helped me with networking with other departments. The University of Auckland provided me with various opportunities for professional growth related activities.

Pros

Easy to manage student life

Cons

limited hours

Terrible employer

It was a really horrible place to work. You wouldn't see your colleagues most days and when you did they were very demoralised. Managers were just careerists who had no genuine interest in their staff. The whole place had a constant air of crisis about it and the managers were constantly reminding staff that there was little job security. They never treated their staff as skilled professionals. You'd be mad to work here. The salary was good by Auckland standards but there was little chance for career progression.

Mentally challenging

Enjoyable and collaborative work environment. Presented at conferences and produced articles. Mentally challenging. Good work environment. Was unpaid position

Overall pleasant and would highly recommend

Overall pleasant and would highly recommend. Has a nice pace. Relaxed yet very stimulating environment Teaches one to take ownership and grow Has a very strong blue work culture

Productive and Challenging

I am in research and the University of Auckland, which is a fine institution in New Zealand. The work place is very nice and comfortable. My boss is very kind, organized, and well intentioned. He is extremely intelligent and supportive of career advancement.

Working at University of Auckland

Its an excellent workplace with lot of work-life balance and minimal stress. Though at times it lacks advancement in career. Also, the review process does not really get translated in salary upgrade.

Great benefit for employees with young family

The University has good benefits for employees especially those with young family. However, other institutions offer better salaries and career progression. As for the workplace culture, it depends on the team and the management within that team. Some are not flexible and very directive. I was lucky to be in a team with very supportive management who advocates on our behalf.

Good opportunities to learn about interesting project.

Good opportunities to learn about an interesting project. However, contract processing is taking forever. The professor is helping to make everything works.

Good work/life balance

Culture at the University is good. A lot of great people who want you to succeed. Some old legacy systems do hold back current projects and everyone seems to complain about them but not much is done to optimise or replace them.

Learn on the Job

Learnt a lot in the process and was able to balance this job with the rest of my uni studies. The job was fairly straight forward and it was great being able to help students with modules you have done in the past. The teaching staff are absolutely amazing and help boost your confidence.

Nice working place

I did a research internship at Auckland University. I learned a lot, though my project could have been more challenging. I enjoyed my time working there.

Amazing Experience

All good things! AMAZING WORKPLACE CULTURE! • Update contact and demographic information • Connect and engage with alumni about their experience at university and their own career progression • Ask alumni to support their alma mater by making a donation to student support and scholarship funds • Polling & information gathering, data entry All of this helped me gain a meaningful experience within an office environment.

Great place, innovation hub of NZ

Working with some of the most intelligent people in New Zealand. Great experience. Flexible working hours and excellent opportunities to learn and develop.

Great student job

This is a secure job for students and is flexible around my timetable. It has a variety of jobs and has helped me connect with many different people across uni.

Good for early career academics

Good for early career academics, difficult to have mobility within the structure. Decent work-life balance. Nice environment. Good city. Small university.

A nice place to work.

I was a research assistant there for a few months in the psychology department. It was a nice environment with good staff. it was a little difficult getting paid, but it worked out in the end.

Productive, Good learning environment

Good enjoyable culture, very positive learning environment, cooperative Need to improve on departmental management and job advertisements. Overall, a very good experience

Pros

flexible time

Cons

contract hours not sorted out

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Auckland. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• University of Auckland
  • Job Security & Advancement
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?