University of Auckland

University of Auckland Management reviews

New Zealand121 reviews

Clear
4.2Work–Life Balance

Great benefit for employees with young family

The University has good benefits for employees especially those with young family. However, other institutions offer better salaries and career progression. As for the workplace culture, it depends on the team and the management within that team. Some are not flexible and very directive. I was lucky to be in a team with very supportive management who advocates on our behalf.

Very flexible environment with horrible bearucracy

It's in the title, really: paid leave is great, flexibility, training options (if you're looking for them and do not expect them to be paid for).However, general quality of management is poor, problems are usually just swept under the carpet, voicing a different opinion is often pointless if not downright counterproductive as you get labelled as 'difficult' and that stalls your career.

Terrible employer

It was a really horrible place to work. You wouldn't see your colleagues most days and when you did they were very demoralised. Managers were just careerists who had no genuine interest in their staff. The whole place had a constant air of crisis about it and the managers were constantly reminding staff that there was little job security. They never treated their staff as skilled professionals. You'd be mad to work here. The salary was good by Auckland standards but there was little chance for career progression.

Management is over-paid, while people who do the daily grind are under-paid.

Management is not open and collaborative. They make decisions without discussing it with staff. They do not really know what happens on the ground. $5M was found to buy a house for the new VC, but they don't have money to pay the staff a decent salary.

Challenging but also exciting workplace

Amazing people to work with, and management are very supportive. Workplace is vibrant and beautiful, and exciting with ongoing changes to the business.

Pros

Education IT sector, top NZ University, CBD location, work with amazing people from all walks of life

Cons

Constant and ongoing reviews to change well established processes and business practices

Incredible opportunity

This was another employment opportunity that lasted 3 months, over the summer period between high-school and university. I was lucky enough to heavily involved in the lab component of a medical students summer research project, which was published in a Medical Journal. This was my first publication, but I hope it is not my last. This employment gave me the opportunity to explore the basic surgical research method, and helped me meet some incredible individuals. As I was new to research at the time, it was an extremely challenging 3 month period, but it was a challenge that I look back on gratefully. The most enjoyable part of the job was that it required me to be self-motivated and flexible with my time. I worked on my own schedule but had a 3 month deadline to get the research complete by. This meant I had to improve my organisational and self-management skills in a practical way.

Pros

Challenging, Flexible hours, Self-managed

Cons

Commute, Length of Employment

Love it here!

Love the work environment. Sometimes it gets crazy around the busy times, but still, everyone is so helpful and thoughtful. Management really cares about us. Your voice can be heard, it doesn't fall on deaf ears like other workplaces. People are nice and easy going. Very well looked after as a staff member.

Nice place, poorly managed

The University of Auckland is a nice place to work, however, management does not place much value on the staff. That aside, all the staff are very friendly and make the day go by quickly.

Productive, Good learning environment

Good enjoyable culture, very positive learning environment, cooperative Need to improve on departmental management and job advertisements. Overall, a very good experience

Pros

flexible time

Cons

contract hours not sorted out

Productive and fun work place

Good work place. 5 weeks of annual leave. Great Appraisal methods in place. Very professional. Good management. Positive job culture. Progressive employers.

Pros

5 weeks of annual leave

Cons

Many meetings and long hours every 2 weeks and sometimes even more.

multicultural environment

a great place to work, many good benefits for employees, high job security, there is a High expectation of employees, high standard of performance. The culture of the environment is one of tolerance and acceptance

It's good to work here.

It is the top ranked University in New Zealand. The work culture is good and management supports Employees. Overall, working here is fun and I am getting a valuable experience.

Good Experience

Freedom to do my own experiments and practice my own ideas. Got plenty of One on Ones with management and professors. No one else was working in the same field so at times it was boring.

Pros

Freedom of time and management

Cons

No work culture

Fun workplace

A typical day at work consisted of us volunteers turning up to the venue and getting briefed on what the day consisted of, who is doing what and also how long this task should be carried out. I learnt that self management will affect how the programme is run, if you don't complete your job on time, there will be repercussions.

Pros

Free lunch

Cons

Early Hours

Voluntary University Commitee

In 2015 I was the committee's publicity officer. This involved designing and creating posters for our events and for advertising, as well as distributing them through out the university. This would generally take a day or two, including adjustments and changes suggested by the rest of the committee. This year I am one of five in the industry group. This involves us communicating with businesses and looking for potential sponsors. The most enjoyable part of being apart of the executive committee is working with a great group of people, and meeting new people both from University and companies through our events.

Pros

Meeting new people and communicating with companies

Cons

Not a full time job

University of Auckland

I had the experience of excellent senior management support and trust to execute several projects within the Student Administration body of the University of Auckland over 4 years. I learnt confidence in my strengths and ability to execute professionally, excellently and extensively for the pride and purposes of the director I worked for and flourised immenesely. The most enjoyable part I enjoyed was exercising my authority effectively, responsibly and purposesfully for my contractual obligations and employer that gave me incredible self job satisfaction.

Pros

Senior management support and confidence

Cons

Bureaucracy, red tape and some conflicting personalities

Great job when trying to balance work and life together.

Was able to study full time and work full time and nothing was influenced badly. I could work from home so that was a plus. Great management. I learnt the importance of time management and completing tasks well and on time.

Friendly working environment

You get to meet different cultures in the work place, learning new things from students from the different countries, Management is very flexible with all co workers when it come to decision making management lets all co workers know if there is last minute changes in roosters or schedules. We've had a very supportive management team which is good for the company.

Pros

Meeting different Cultures from different countries

Cons

Nothing really

Enjoyable workplace

I would review all communications that are delivered internally and externally to promote our specific department. I always devise strategic ways to build brand recognition and awareness. Learnt alot about development of marketing strategies online and offline. I've moved into a senior management role, which I'm enjoying the career progression and experience. Co-workers are awesome, we all have great conversation and they'll all supportive. Hardest part of my job is that I don't like the idea of not having any more career progression from my role within the organisation. Most enjoyable part is the variety of responsibilities which helps me cover and learn a lot.

Pros

Flexible hours

Satisfying and learned a lot

Most of the jobs I hold was during my undergraduate or postgraduate years. So I had the flexibility to work whenever I am free. I have learned time management and organisational skills.Being part of a well-known institution, the team and management were very professional and fun. Hardest part of the job was as a demonstrator, I had to help the students out with their work and it was difficult at times to teach and answer their questions. However, it was satisfying when the students understood whatever you have taught them.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Auckland. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• University of Auckland